Thread poster: Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
Portuguese to English
Mar 3, 2012

Hi there
I am doing a piece of work, translating clinical reports, which are in PDF format. I have had very strict instructions to make sure my pages follow those of the PDF exactly. My probem is that, even by making the type as small as possible (8 - they want Times New Roman), it is impossible to fit onto one page. I am sure there are peole out there who know what I am doing wrong - please help this technically-clallenged colleague!

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:32
Polish to English
+ ...
Columns? tables? character count? Mar 3, 2012

Where is the layout problem?

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:32
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other tricks Mar 3, 2012

You don't say whether you're recreating the formatting or just translating the text page by page for the client's reference.

If it's the latter, you could switch to a larger paper size.

If it's the former, you could tweak the formatting in your word processor: change the margins, character spacing, line spacing, etc.

It's odd, though, that text would get longer when going from Portuguese into English. Usually it's the other way around.

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Margins? Mar 3, 2012

I presume you've tried adjusting the page margins (top, bottom, left, right) to make the part of the page that you use for text as wide as possible...?

Georgia Morg (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
page size Mar 3, 2012

Thanks for your help. I have , of course, made margins a small as possible, but they also say they want US letter size for the document. Maybe I will just ignore that and make the pages bigger, thank you.

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
have you tried to change Mar 3, 2012

the line spacing ?

[Edited at 2012-03-03 13:36 GMT]
I tried on a 18 page file and it was reduced to 16 pages with the single paramater, so about 10% less

[Edited at 2012-03-03 13:37 GMT]

also tried on a 200 page file, brought back to 160 pages, 20% reduced

[Edited at 2012-03-03 14:03 GMT]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact the client? Mar 3, 2012

Maybe you just need to contact the client and say something like "I'm happy to comply, but just be aware that if I match the original page size and page breaks, the font will have to be so tiny that you'll need a magnifying glass to read it. Please advise how to proceed."

Albert Golub
English to French
see Mar 3, 2012

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25206/customize-the-default-line-spacing-in-word-2007-2010/

difference of 15% between save as word 2007/2010 and word 2003 for instance

[Edited at 2012-03-03 14:13 GMT]

Albert Golub
English to French
see video Mar 3, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbT2Pu8FEdM

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
One Page = Two or Three Mar 4, 2012

I run into that problem often. I always like to retain page correspondence, whether or not the client says anything about it. But to actually keep it all on one page is often not just undesirable, it is just plain impossible. Thus, in order to keep things orderly and readable, I just air it out a bit and fit one page of the original on two pages of the translation. In some cases I even have to go to three, but page correspondence is preserved and so is sanity, because having to read tiny print i... See more
I run into that problem often. I always like to retain page correspondence, whether or not the client says anything about it. But to actually keep it all on one page is often not just undesirable, it is just plain impossible. Thus, in order to keep things orderly and readable, I just air it out a bit and fit one page of the original on two pages of the translation. In some cases I even have to go to three, but page correspondence is preserved and so is sanity, because having to read tiny print in crowded formats is really the pits. I don't enjoy that when having to translate such material (I do a lot of paper documents), but I won't put the reader of my translation through the same suffering.

So don't fit it on just one page; fit a page on two or three!
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
THank you! Mar 4, 2012

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did them all, reduced line spacing, tiny margins, size 6 font...and managed to squeeze it all in.....I will warn then they'll need a magnifying glass, as someone suggested!

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Spread it to two pages Mar 4, 2012

Henry Hinds wrote:

So don't fit it on just one page; fit a page on two or three!

What Henry said.
I've also run into this often. Sometimes it's just impossible to squeeze it in. Bleed the latter part of page 1 source onto page 2 target, then add another page break and start page 2 of the source on a new page in the target. Clients understand that this happens. Usually they just want to be sure that you're not mixing up different source pages on the same page in the target.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I might add... Mar 4, 2012

I might add that since you can provide the output in an electronic file, you can provide it in several alternative formats if you wish, or just remind the client that he is free to re-format the text however he wishes; it only takes seconds to do so.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
I would give the client one file that he can edit. Mar 5, 2012

Henry Hinds wrote:

I might add that since you can provide the output in an electronic file, you can provide it in several alternative formats if you wish, or just remind the client that he is free to re-format the text however he wishes; it only takes seconds to do so.

In the past I have often translated technical drawings from English into German, and if there was not enough space for the translation, I would provide the client with one file that the draftsman could edit. Does this make sense?

Cheers,

Marina

[Edited at 2012-03-05 00:37 GMT]

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
It could be an A4/Letter page size problem Mar 17, 2012

I have had this problem a couple of times.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to fit it all onto one page?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »