Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What type of music do you listen to while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What type of music do you listen to while working?".

This poll was originally submitted by Châu Nguyễn. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:28
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jun 19, 2016

WHatever happens to be played by my favourite and ear-chosen radio station...

And if they happen to be playing a load of rubbish, then nothing at all.... although...

... a good portion of Techno does a good job to get me motivated and Jean-Michel Jarre to get me back down again☺

[Edited at 2016-06-19 23:39 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None! Jun 19, 2016

As I said before in one of the 11 quick polls on the theme: music interferes with my ability to focus on my work, but I do need some background noise, my TV is always on, except when I'm revising my work or proofreading others' work: I press the mute key!

Patrick Doporto
Patrick Doporto  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
80's Thrash Metal Jun 19, 2016

I don't play it at full volume but rather just enough to hear it as background noise. I can't work in silence and having my favourite music play in the background helps a lot to keep me motivated and generally in a good mood.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
No music while working Jun 19, 2016

I can't have music on while working, as I get distracted, but I sometimes find a little music break refreshing and revitalising. Anything from Kraftwerk to the Manic Street Preachers, or sometimes a bit of 70s disco.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 19, 2016

Usually BBC Six Music ... or Radio 3 de España when they're not just blathering away (they do like their chatty shows).
The type of music I play can depend on the text I'm working on. If it doesn't require to much thought or concentration, banging electro or afrobeat is fine by me. I find thoughtful material goes better with classical music like Vivaldi or similar.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
No music, no noise, SILENCE! Jun 19, 2016

In fact, I am extremely sensitive to any kind of noise, to the extent that I plug my ears when working to make sure I can work in total silence. If the street outside is particularly busy and noisy (sometimes due to rain), I even put headphones over my plugged ears to increase the silencing effect.

I know, I am a bit of an extreme case...

Ditte Bjerregaard
Ditte Bjerregaard
Denmark
Member (2013)
German to Danish
+ ...
Off to Iceland! Jun 19, 2016

Whilst I would definitely never want to work without music, lyrics can be quite a distracting factor I find. My solution is to listen to music in languages I don't understand. I love Ásgeir and Sigur Rós for instance, and their Icelandic lyrics certainly don't interfere with my work as I don't understand a word of it

Another option is classical music of course. My favourite Monday-morning-get-your-act-together-piece
... See more
Whilst I would definitely never want to work without music, lyrics can be quite a distracting factor I find. My solution is to listen to music in languages I don't understand. I love Ásgeir and Sigur Rós for instance, and their Icelandic lyrics certainly don't interfere with my work as I don't understand a word of it

Another option is classical music of course. My favourite Monday-morning-get-your-act-together-piece is Orawa by Wojciech Kilar - then you're awake!

[Edited at 2016-06-19 11:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-06-19 12:10 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Birdsong or nothing Jun 19, 2016

... in the spring and summer when I can have the window open, the blackbirds do a lovely soothing warble. I can work to it, sleep to it, whatever. Most other sounds distract me, so the quieter, the better.
I can sometimes work to my husband's music if I have to - Jim Reeves and all the other crooners, but I heave a sigh of relief when he goes out! I prefer classics, currently Smetana and Sibelius, no singing, but to listen to, NOT when I am working...

Ditte Bjerregaard
Ditte Bjerregaard
Denmark
Member (2013)
German to Danish
+ ...
:) Jun 19, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

... in the spring and summer when I can have the window open, the blackbirds do a lovely soothing warble. I can work to it, sleep to it, whatever. Most other sounds distract me, so the quieter, the better.
I can sometimes work to my husband's music if I have to - Jim Reeves and all the other crooners, but I heave a sigh of relief when he goes out! I prefer classics, currently Smetana and Sibelius, no singing, but to listen to, NOT when I am working...

Oh yes, "Má vlast" is a favourite here too!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:28
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Miscellanea Jun 19, 2016

I had the patience to convert all my CDs to MP3. So now I have a giant music folder, with many different types of music. I just choose whatever comes to my mind and play it. No specific type of music for working.

Many people would say music is distraction. However, living in a noisy town, it's a blessing. It actually doesn't allow all the noise outside to distract you.

[Edited at 2016-06-19 13:16 GMT]

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Fado Jun 19, 2016

I love it and it helps me concentrate. I just tune in to Radio Amalia. Occasionally they chat too much, so then I put on a Fado CD

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Silence, please Jun 19, 2016

Katrin Bosse wrote:

In fact, I am extremely sensitive to any kind of noise, to the extent that I plug my ears when working to make sure I can work in total silence. If the street outside is particularly busy and noisy (sometimes due to rain), I even put headphones over my plugged ears to increase the silencing effect.

I know, I am a bit of an extreme case...

I find your preference for silence fascinating. Besides translating, do you read a lot? Do you find yourself reminiscing, looking inward a lot?

I do some of that.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other (the pollster never heard of jazz?) Jun 19, 2016

I listen to instrumental (classical, jazz, chillout, some dubstep), and I find some music with lyrics refreshing. I can listen to different genres during the day depending on my mood and my brain activity (from sluggish to frantic and back).

I can't stand lyrics while I work or read, unless I'm reading some light material, like newspaper columns or comics.

Yesterday I bought a Finnish LP record, in excellent condition. One of the songs was Bésame mucho, all of it sung
... See more
I listen to instrumental (classical, jazz, chillout, some dubstep), and I find some music with lyrics refreshing. I can listen to different genres during the day depending on my mood and my brain activity (from sluggish to frantic and back).

I can't stand lyrics while I work or read, unless I'm reading some light material, like newspaper columns or comics.

Yesterday I bought a Finnish LP record, in excellent condition. One of the songs was Bésame mucho, all of it sung in Finnish! I don't know a lick of the language but the music of it is quite something.
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No music... Jun 19, 2016

I find music distracting, even purely instrumental music. In fact, I don't like music as 'background noise' at all, I think music should be listend to and enjoyed properly.

I would not be able to work while having the TV on either (I hardly ever watch TV anyway) and I hate it when my neighbour downstairs turns up his so I can almost understand every word that is being said.

I do like having the window open though. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly quiet part of to
... See more
I find music distracting, even purely instrumental music. In fact, I don't like music as 'background noise' at all, I think music should be listend to and enjoyed properly.

I would not be able to work while having the TV on either (I hardly ever watch TV anyway) and I hate it when my neighbour downstairs turns up his so I can almost understand every word that is being said.

I do like having the window open though. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly quiet part of town and I love to hear the birds outside or the sound of rain pouring down.

[Edited at 2016-06-19 16:53 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What type of music do you listen to while working?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »