Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What type of music do you listen to while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:52
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jun 19, 2016

svenfrade wrote:
I don't like music as 'background noise' at all, I think music should be listend to and enjoyed properly.

If music is worth listening to, it's worth your full attention. Background noise doesn't interrupt my concentration in the slightest though. Mine nowadays is my husband's metal-working lathe, just behind my left ear. Can't get much noisier than that!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:52
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Indeed Jun 19, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

svenfrade wrote:
I don't like music as 'background noise' at all, I think music should be listend to and enjoyed properly.

If music is worth listening to, it's worth your full attention. Background noise doesn't interrupt my concentration in the slightest though. Mine nowadays is my husband's metal-working lathe, just behind my left ear. Can't get much noisier than that!

Indeed not everyone is able to enjoy music while working. Well I do... a lot. I even sing or whistle while I'm working. Lucky me!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
depends Jun 19, 2016

Sometimes I feel like listening to music, at times not)
In my iPod I've got some 60+GB of shuffled music--from classics to pop, rock, folk, rave, doom, and others, which distracts me from routine and keep the tempo. Yes, I'm often listening to music while reading, writing, translating, cooking, eating, bathing, jogging, cycling, driving, sleeping, and so on.

Perhaps, it has to do with my interpreting skills, not to mention sol-fa and Piano classes)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
♫Whistle while you work ♪ Jun 19, 2016

The subject heading is the name of a jazz standard, a very catchy one. Trombonist Kai Windig does a great trombone number with it.

I am reminded of a time in New York, working as a project manager alongside another project manager. Same desk. At times, I would hum a tune, something he didn't like: “Please don't make unnecessary noises.”

Oh, I hated that attitude. But I see his point.

[Edited at 2016-06-19 22:59 GMT]

ikeda45
ikeda45  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
Bach 172 CD Box Jun 20, 2016

I bought the above last summer and have plenty of CDs to listen to during work.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:52
English to French
The sounds of silence Jun 20, 2016

Music doesn't work for me.
If it did, I would stop and let the music play.

Philippe

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Depends Jun 20, 2016

Most of the times I don't like working in silence (at very unusual times I do), so I always have to have some background noise. This might be TV (but something I'm not that interested in), rain, music. Everything as long as it doesn't make me look outside or want to react (I don't like people talking around me because I always feel the need to participate in the conversations of my house mates.)

When it comes to music, it depends a bit on what I am doing.
If it is a rush tra
... See more
Most of the times I don't like working in silence (at very unusual times I do), so I always have to have some background noise. This might be TV (but something I'm not that interested in), rain, music. Everything as long as it doesn't make me look outside or want to react (I don't like people talking around me because I always feel the need to participate in the conversations of my house mates.)

When it comes to music, it depends a bit on what I am doing.
If it is a rush translation: something heavier, with a steady rhythm might do the trick. When I'm revising, I can only stand instrumental things or nature sounds though.
Collapse

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bach forever! Jun 20, 2016

ikeda45 wrote:

I bought the above last summer and have plenty of CDs to listen to during work.

I like your choice of music! This 172 CDs set was my parents' graduation gift in 2005 when I finished my translation studies. However, since I don't/can't/won't listen to music while working, I have to find other moments to enjoy this abundance. For example, (one of) the specific cantata(s) every Sunday morning with a lavish breakfast. The perfect way to start a day!

The problem with Bach (as with every other type of music) and working: when its playing, I have to listen, there is no way I can have it playing as a background filler. And then I can't hear myself think...

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Silence - yes, recluse - no Jun 20, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

I find your preference for silence fascinating. Besides translating, do you read a lot? Do you find yourself reminiscing, looking inward a lot?

Not really. I am not an introspective person at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. But when I am working, my ears get distracted much too easily, it's just the way I was conditioned, I guess. I am/have been a musician for a big part of my life, my ears are very sensitive and highly trained so having music play in the background doesn't work - I always have to listen to it. And then I can't hear my self think, as I said in another comment. It's as simple as that.

I do like to read and sometimes plug my ears to better immerse myself into the book's world.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Creeping death Jun 20, 2016

Patrick Doporto wrote:

80's Thrash Metal

Lol

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:52
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I'll be Bach! Jun 20, 2016

@Chris

Metallica is best when translating texts about Zen Buddhism.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Controlled experiment Jun 20, 2016

In the name of science, I just tried checking an economic forecast for Sweden to a soundtrack of first Slayer and then Bach.

I found it made little difference whether it was the first cello suite or Angel of Death.

I just don't get how anyone can listen to music without listening to it.

Now where's that neck brace?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What type of music do you listen to while working?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »