Can it be justified to count the use of a public MT service such as Microsoft Azure MT as MTPE?
מפרסם התגובה: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
הונג קונג
Local time: 00:25
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לשוודית
+ ...
Jul 26

I am about to deliver a small project now on 2,872 words and just discovered in MemoQ Web that my customer had Microsoft Azure MT activated and that all the target column segments were populated with output from Microsoft Azure MT. The rate I am paid is for MTPE.

In this case, can it under any circumstance be justified to count the use of a public MT service such as Microsoft Azure MT as MTPE, for instance if the source text is really uncomplicated and straightforward? In my case, i
... See more
I am about to deliver a small project now on 2,872 words and just discovered in MemoQ Web that my customer had Microsoft Azure MT activated and that all the target column segments were populated with output from Microsoft Azure MT. The rate I am paid is for MTPE.

In this case, can it under any circumstance be justified to count the use of a public MT service such as Microsoft Azure MT as MTPE, for instance if the source text is really uncomplicated and straightforward? In my case, it was not that uncomplicated and straightforward. In any case, where would the line than be drawn? I definitely feel that I should have been paid a normal translation rate for this task.

[Edited at 2024-07-26 10:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-07-26 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
איטליה
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לגרמנית
+ ...
time matters Jul 26

If it took you the same amount or more time as it would have taken to do a translation from scratch, you could tell the client and ask to be paid the full rate.
The only thing is that you should have told them as soon as you found it out.

Fredrik Pettersson
הונג קונג
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לשוודית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not agree on "If it took you the same amount..." as a MT service is always to some help Jul 26

What you say does not make sense to me as there is always some help one gets by using a MT service such as Microsoft Azure MT. But if it took me x percent less time using Azure compared to having to translate from scratch, then the Azure service was not to that much help after all and I should be paid the full rate.

I worked as a post-editor directly for SDL earlier, and their MT engine was really impressive. In that case, I can understand the justification that it takes y percent l
... See more
What you say does not make sense to me as there is always some help one gets by using a MT service such as Microsoft Azure MT. But if it took me x percent less time using Azure compared to having to translate from scratch, then the Azure service was not to that much help after all and I should be paid the full rate.

I worked as a post-editor directly for SDL earlier, and their MT engine was really impressive. In that case, I can understand the justification that it takes y percent less time using the output from their MT engine compared to having to translate from scratch. So I have something to compare with.

[Edited at 2024-07-26 10:40 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
הונג קונג
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לשוודית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using an MT engine not trained specifically by the customer for a certain subject area is not MTPE Jul 26

Microsoft Azure MT is a public MT service that anyone can activate and use for free up to a certain quota per month. I don't think that is fair to call job tasks where such a public MT service has been used for MTPE tasks. These job tasks, using an MT engine not trained specifically by the customer for a certain subject area, constitute regular translation tasks and should be paid for according to my normal translation rate.

Fredrik Pettersson
הונג קונג
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לשוודית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The customer now says they translated with DeepL Jul 26

The customer just told me that they used DeepL to translate this project. However, the translations in the target column are exactly the same output as from the Microsoft Azure MT engine that is displayed as being used (furthest down to the right in the MemoQ Web's editor window)! This is MemoQ Web (MemoQ in the web browser, using the customer's MemoQ server). So I have not made any settings at all.

[Edited at 2024-07-26 11:06 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
הונג קונג
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לשוודית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would it be any difference if DeepL is used instead of Microsoft Azure AI? Jul 26

My customer now said that the reason they used Microsoft Azure AI for this small project that their standard DeepL solution doesn't work for some of the languages their translation agency translate from. So for my next project, that I already have a PO for, the project manager says that I will now see DeepL as MT engine being used, not Microsoft Azure AI. My question then is how much difference that makes? And can that be the line to cross (using DeepL) to be able to accept the task as a MTPE ta... See more
My customer now said that the reason they used Microsoft Azure AI for this small project that their standard DeepL solution doesn't work for some of the languages their translation agency translate from. So for my next project, that I already have a PO for, the project manager says that I will now see DeepL as MT engine being used, not Microsoft Azure AI. My question then is how much difference that makes? And can that be the line to cross (using DeepL) to be able to accept the task as a MTPE task?

I can mention that this is an Italian-Swedish task (the one I have completed and the upcoming one).
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
איטליה
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לגרמנית
+ ...
yep Jul 26

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Using an MT engine not trained specifically by the customer for a certain subject area is not MTPE

I know, that's why I always ask if a neural MT engine will be used when I get MTPE requests. So far, only one agency uses this type of engine, and it is still the only one I do MTPE for.
I can think of Italian>Swedish output not being that good like with say English>German (when it comes to DeepL), so using generalistic MT tools makes even less sense.
The point of my previous post was: Clients need to be alerted on (more or less) useless MT output soon.
Or are you saying what counts is the type of engine, not how good its output is? (referring to the ISO 18587, that really few agencies adhere to).

[Bearbeitet am 2024-07-26 12:09 GMT]

לא הוקצה מנהל במיוחד לפורום זה.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can it be justified to count the use of a public MT service such as Microsoft Azure MT as MTPE?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »