Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2009

Dear Staff,

Sharing our activities, life, works, knowledge etc. is limited only with Forums and with Writing Articles.

And in Forums if I write something about my interests and life (not related to translation) the site automatically turns those writings into off-topic.

I think this is not fair as we all human beings but not business machines.

So, I need something like diary here. May be I would like to share my daily life, my other skills rel
... See more
Dear Staff,

Sharing our activities, life, works, knowledge etc. is limited only with Forums and with Writing Articles.

And in Forums if I write something about my interests and life (not related to translation) the site automatically turns those writings into off-topic.

I think this is not fair as we all human beings but not business machines.

So, I need something like diary here. May be I would like to share my daily life, my other skills related to myself and show those on my profile if necessary. May be they seem to be off-topic for you but they are important for me.

So, kindly please do something about this. Even the most serious business newspapers or magazines contain some comics or personal sides in their pages.

Best Regards,

M. Ali

[Edited at 2009-01-22 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:51
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I second that :) Jan 22, 2009

That's actually a very good point and I'm glad you brought it up. I think a blog would be an excellent addition to a great site!

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This isn't a blog but a site for translation professionals ... Jan 22, 2009

If you want to share your daily life, interests or activities, I recommend you join a social networking site like Facebook (one of many).

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not what Proz is for? Jan 22, 2009

It seems a bit out of the scope of Proz - have you considered starting a blog and linking to it in your profile? Plenty of translators do have their own blog.
Or you might like to join LinkedIn or one or more of the other professional and/or social networking sites?

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What ProZ.com is for? Jan 22, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

It seems a bit out of the scope of Proz - have you considered starting a blog and linking to it in your profile? Plenty of translators do have their own blog.
Or you might like to join LinkedIn or one or more of the other professional and/or social networking sites?

What ProZ.com is for - still under discussion (you may see hundreds of posts in forums).

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 04:51
SITE STAFF
On site scope Jan 22, 2009

Hello all,

As LittleBalu and Marie-Hélène mention, the site has a scope, http://www.proz.com/scope which is designed to "to ensure that site activities remain focused on the site's goals, as outlined in the ProZ.com Mission statement."

I imagine that members of the community who have blogs they wish to share with other language prof
... See more
Hello all,

As LittleBalu and Marie-Hélène mention, the site has a scope, http://www.proz.com/scope which is designed to "to ensure that site activities remain focused on the site's goals, as outlined in the ProZ.com Mission statement."

I imagine that members of the community who have blogs they wish to share with other language professionals (and potential clients) may do so-- you could post a link in the "About me" section of your profile, or make use of the "Personal" tab option in your profile to do the same.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for information Jan 22, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

If you want to share your daily life, interests or activities, I recommend you join a social networking site like Facebook (one of many).

I am happy that you already defined the boundary of "professionalism" even for me.

amsimon33
amsimon33
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Blogging as part of professional development Jan 22, 2009

Blogging or journaling (public or private) can be a key approach to or tool for one's professional development. Experiential learning indicates that one reflects daily on professional and or personal experiences, asks "what happened?", "what did I learn from that?" and "what will I do differently next time?" - and then, see whether or not one really DOES learn from ones experience and actually does something different the next time around. That is, some would claim that one does not necessarily ... See more
Blogging or journaling (public or private) can be a key approach to or tool for one's professional development. Experiential learning indicates that one reflects daily on professional and or personal experiences, asks "what happened?", "what did I learn from that?" and "what will I do differently next time?" - and then, see whether or not one really DOES learn from ones experience and actually does something different the next time around. That is, some would claim that one does not necessarily learn from experience but rather from reflection on one's experience. A blog can be a place to reflect and to share one's reflections with other professionals, get feedback, inputs, good ideas, good questions, as grist for the learning mill! So - go for it M. Ali!

Wordpress.com offers free blog space for anyone who needs it. You can then post a link to your blog wherever you are registered.

Best regards!
Anita

[Edited at 2009-01-22 15:29 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My view Jan 22, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
So, I need something like diary here. May be I would like to share my daily life, my other skills related to myself and show those on my profile if necessary. May be they seem to be off-topic for you but they are important for me.

You can get a blog for free at many places, eg Wordpress.com. So any translator can have a blog there, and link to it from his profile. The downside to this approach is that there is no central mechanism to help keep the various blogs "together".

I think it would be a good idea for ProZ.com to offer blogging capabilities to its members only if other users of the site are actively drawn in to its content. One way to do this would be to have a list (similar to the Recent Posts) that shows all new posts from the past 7 days, broken down by day and by hour.

The ProZ.com blog system need not be very advanced -- it is the content that matters, after all. If someone wants to use their blog to be a creative designer, they should use a blog that makes that possible (such as Wordpress.com). Naturally ProZ.com blogs should have RSS feeds so that people can subscribe to a blog if they want to.

Perhaps paid members can have blogs, and both paid and non-paid members can submit comments.

[Edited at 2009-01-22 15:36 GMT]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:51
English to French
+ ...
Enough features on here already! Jan 23, 2009

There have been so many features added just in the past year that I can't keep up. Just today, I noticed the new Video feature... About a week ago, the invoicing feature was introduced - it's nice to see that ProZ developers are working for us, but we have been able to invoice our work without it for a long time now. I don't think it's necessary, at least not as much as reminding people that there is such a thing as forum search and that it's there for a reason (I wish moderators just quashed th... See more
There have been so many features added just in the past year that I can't keep up. Just today, I noticed the new Video feature... About a week ago, the invoicing feature was introduced - it's nice to see that ProZ developers are working for us, but we have been able to invoice our work without it for a long time now. I don't think it's necessary, at least not as much as reminding people that there is such a thing as forum search and that it's there for a reason (I wish moderators just quashed threads asking whether PDFs can be translated directly instead of letting people reply to that question which is seriously driving me nuts now). There are many things that don't work that great on this site - blogs should be the least of our worries.

With all due respect to ProZ developers (who often do a remarkable job, granted), if things keep going the way they are now, soon enough, we will have a recipe exchange page, a page about how to care for a cat, people selling their widgets, people spamming the site with links to their websites in inappropriate spots... When will it stop?

Increasingly, my eyes cross when the homepage loads in my browser, from the few hundred (yes, hundreds!) links displaying on the homepage alone. I have trouble finding the link to my profile, because the My ProZ menu is so often updated that the My Profile link is always displaying at a different spot. Come on!

Also, a blog is personal. It may give useful information to people who work in our field, it may help you to develop your communication skills, it may help you market your services - but a personal blog, no matter how professional, doesn't belong on a professional portal. Your blog should be a component of your website - that's how it usually works, and it ain't for nothing.

As suggested by Jared, nothing stops you from editing the Personal tab of your profile, and as suggested by others, you can post a link to your blog in your profile. Given these (obvious) options, why would you want a separate option for a blog?
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:51
German to English
+ ...
Feature-itis Jan 23, 2009

I have a hard enough time keeping track of features and changes here, and I really do think that a standard blogging feature on ProZ is beyond the scope of the site. Moreover, given the site policies and practices of censorship, I'm not sure the results would be satisfying to a large number of people. I really don't think it would be appropriate to ask ProZ to associate its name with whatever rants I or someone else might choose to add to a personal blog, so IMO that should go elsewhere.
<
... See more
I have a hard enough time keeping track of features and changes here, and I really do think that a standard blogging feature on ProZ is beyond the scope of the site. Moreover, given the site policies and practices of censorship, I'm not sure the results would be satisfying to a large number of people. I really don't think it would be appropriate to ask ProZ to associate its name with whatever rants I or someone else might choose to add to a personal blog, so IMO that should go elsewhere.

As others have pointed out, there are various places one can get "blogspace" for free. This space can be used for professional or personal purposes. If you want more technical control over your blog, it is useful to have it on a hosted site which you control; the ProZ hosting services are a good option here if you don't already have other hosted space. I use ProZ hosting for my business domain and am satisfied on the whole, though I am a little frustrated that after a long time of asking if I can buy more disk space I still haven't received a clear answer (hint to staff!). I do have a second, non-public blog using Wordpress software on my hosted ProZ site, and when I have time to fiddle with it, everything works nicely.

I do think, however, that it might be useful to have some sort of index to external translation blogs available here. There are many interesting ones in many languages, but the process of identifying them can be a very long and frustrating one. And if there is one available, there would have to be appropriate disclaimers, as ProZ is not, of course, responsible for the content of sites it does not control (but German law, for example, requires this declaration).
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
agree Jan 23, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

As suggested by Jared, nothing stops you from editing the Personal tab of your profile, and as suggested by others, you can post a link to your blog in your profile. Given these (obvious) options, why would you want a separate option for a blog?

I totally agree...
Stéphanie

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Who'd pay? Jan 23, 2009

Someone in Proz would have to spend time developing this functionality.
That means money.
As a paying member, that means MY money.
No thank you!

What will you be wanting ProZ to provide next?
Somewhere for your shopping list?

I value this site for its professional presentation and the interesting debates.
I shy away from all those sites that read "R U OK?" with flashing icons and smileys.
Please don't go down the same road, ProZ.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Jan 23, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

What will you be wanting ProZ to provide next?
Somewhere for your shopping list?

I value this site for its professional presentation and the interesting debates.
I shy away from all those sites that read "R U OK?" with flashing icons and smileys.
Please don't go down the same road, ProZ.

Totally agree, also with Viktoria's post.

Have a good weekend, all of you.
LB

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a Blog (May be a Diary) here!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »