Thread poster: Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
French to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2011

It's a reasonably regular topic here, but I thought I'd highlight this real-life example as educational practice. See how many "telltale" signs you can spot:

http://french-linguistics-dev.blogspot.com/2011/08/spot-scam.html

Werner Maurer
Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
0.50 Euro/wd Aug 6, 2011

Wow! Half a Euro per word! Where do I sign up?

Werner Maurer
Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Easy Aug 6, 2011

The example has far more than the usual number of telltale signs. It's overflowing with them. I don't feel like counting them. I've seen scams where I had to look long and hard for a red flag (but eventually found it).

kalap (X)
kalap (X)
This is fun Aug 6, 2011

Irealistic project to be translated by a freelance translator into several languages, without project details and company data, plus typing and grammar errors and an address in Nigeria.
14 or 15 red flags (posting this on a Saturday might be right).

Remember: scams always contain flattery and exaggerations, this is part of the scammers' culture: big is beautiful and more credible. Translators are called Doctors or Dear Friends, projects always have several hundreds of thousan
... See more
Irealistic project to be translated by a freelance translator into several languages, without project details and company data, plus typing and grammar errors and an address in Nigeria.
14 or 15 red flags (posting this on a Saturday might be right).

Remember: scams always contain flattery and exaggerations, this is part of the scammers' culture: big is beautiful and more credible. Translators are called Doctors or Dear Friends, projects always have several hundreds of thousands of words, payment will be soon and promises are sky-high.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spot the scam: an educational example

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »