Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 21, 2012

Yesterday I received a message saying my domain is expiring soon and I should renew it for USD 75/year.
When I checked my account at Network Solutions I saw my registration expires in October 2014. I had payed 114 USD for 5 years in 2009.
So be warned, do not fall to this kind of scam. The message included all my contact details correctly, so I almost believed it.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Good move May 21, 2012

Hi Heinrich,

it was wise of you to check the validity of your account.

I assume that whoever contacted you didn't address you by your name, correct?
Scammers seldom do.

It would be nice to see the entire email with sender's IP and name etc.

Keep safe!
Thayenga

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:48
German to English
Common practice May 21, 2012

I receive these from time to time. It's a deceptive practice targeted at domain owners. Many, if not most, owners of a domain don't keep track of the ownership expiration date. This information is freely available, which is how your name was found. Recipients of such e-mail (and snail mail!) assume they're receiving it because of an impending expiry date. In many cases, victims authorize transfer of domain hosting, incurring cancellation fees assessed by the original hosting company.
... See more
I receive these from time to time. It's a deceptive practice targeted at domain owners. Many, if not most, owners of a domain don't keep track of the ownership expiration date. This information is freely available, which is how your name was found. Recipients of such e-mail (and snail mail!) assume they're receiving it because of an impending expiry date. In many cases, victims authorize transfer of domain hosting, incurring cancellation fees assessed by the original hosting company.

In the US, it's legal to do entice people in this way, but highly unethical.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Domain-related scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »