New desktop computer: Windows 32 bit or 64 bit?
Autor de la hebra: Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 23:30
Miembro 2008
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Oct 30, 2012

Hi,

I need to buy a new desktop computer.

I found a good offer with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I'd like to be sure that I don't risk any software compatibility issue.

Do you know if there is any problem with Trados Studio 2011?

Thank you in advance!
Cristina

Shiya Luo
Shiya Luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:30
inglés al chino
+ ...
No issues Oct 30, 2012

I have not encountered any issue with Trados 2011 on my 64-bit Windows 7 OS.

Nicolas Machado
Nicolas Machado  Identity Verified
Francia
inglés al francés
Yep Oct 30, 2012

Shiya Luo wrote:

I have not encountered any issue with Trados 2011 on my 64-bit Windows 7 OS.

Confirmed.

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 17:30
inglés al árabe
Everything... Oct 31, 2012

...works fine.

Including: (not an exhaustive list!)

SDL Trados 2011
Office 2007
Adobe Acrobat
Nitro PDF Professional
Every kind of browsers
MemoQ v.5

Do you still need more?

[Edited at 2012-10-31 02:05 GMT]

milinad
milinad  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
alemán al inglés
there could be problem with peripherals Oct 31, 2012

In case you have old printer or webcams you might find it difficult to find and install drivers. I had to revert to 32 bit Windows XP because drivers for my old printer & webcam were not available (they might be available now). At that time even the PC vendor could not supply them. (The choice at that time was between buying new printer & webcam or stay with 32 bit XP)

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-31 04:32 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:30
finlandés al francés
Hardware compatibility Oct 31, 2012

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:
I found a good offer with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I'd like to be sure that I don't risk any software compatibility issue.

milinad makes a good point with hardware compatibility: older peripherals like printers, scanners etc. are the ones that may cause problems with 64-but Windows 7. However, I believe it would be a pity in late 2012 to stick with Windows XP (or even 32-bit Windows 7) for the sake of compatibility with older devices.

If you go for 64-bit Windows 7, do get 8 GB of RAM right away, in order to be able to take advantage of it.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
España
alemán al español
Where is the problem? Oct 31, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I believe it would be a pity in late 2012 to stick with Windows XP

I have XP. What is in W 7 that I should miss?

[Edited at 2012-10-31 13:32 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:30
finlandés al francés
XP vs. 7 Oct 31, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:

If you have XP-generation hardware (= 5 year-old or more), you are happy with it and you want to keep it, then fine (I won't even recommend you upgrade to Windows 7).
My point was that it would be a pity to install XP on a new computer purchased in late 2012.

As to what you are missing: the ability to take full advantage of the RAM supported by modern computers, being able to keep as many applications as you want open at the same time without having to worry about running out of RAM. To mention just one.

It's not like Windows 7 is a revolution compared to XP, it's just a superset of XP: it can do everything XP can do, and more.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
XP vs 7 Oct 31, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

If you have XP-generation hardware (= 5 year-old or more), you are happy with it and you want to keep it, then fine (I won't even recommend you upgrade to Windows 7).
My point was that it would be a pity to install XP on a new computer purchased in late 2012.

As to what you are missing: the ability to take full advantage of the RAM supported by modern computers, being able to keep as many applications as you want open at the same time without having to worry about running out of RAM. To mention just one.

It's not like Windows 7 is a revolution compared to XP, it's just a superset of XP: it can do everything XP can do, and more.

There is a 64-bit version of XP, so you can get more than 3GB of RAM on XP.
That said, I'd definitely recommend 7 over XP. Small things like the start menu search and window snap are quite important improvements in my opinion, and win7 should be more stable and secure all around. If the hardware is good enough to run 7 acceptable, it should have 7 on it. When support ends in 2014 XP, will be properly dead and buried.

[Edited at 2012-10-31 15:48 GMT]

christenino
christenino  Identity Verified
Austria
inglés al alemán
+ ...
WIN 7 64 bit Oct 31, 2012

and Trados.

As far as I know, there are no issues. I ran Win 7 64-bit for a long time (64-bit makes sense if you have more than 4 GB memory, 32-bit can't deal with it) and Trados. No issues at all. Now I run Win 8, 64-bit, and Trados (and other tools) and no issues.

Kind Regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New desktop computer: Windows 32 bit or 64 bit?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »