Trados analysis of fm and properties files
Thread poster: JBKT (X)
JBKT (X)
JBKT (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 18, 2004

We have finished a large project involving FrameMaker 7.0, html, XML, and other types of files. The problem came up with the word count. We were able to analyse everything using Trados but we just cannot find a way to analyse .fm files together with properties files (.rc among others). The client will not accept a separate count (60% of the project in FM analyzed all together and 40% of the project in properties files). They suggest we mark the code in the properties files as "do not translate" ... See more
We have finished a large project involving FrameMaker 7.0, html, XML, and other types of files. The problem came up with the word count. We were able to analyse everything using Trados but we just cannot find a way to analyse .fm files together with properties files (.rc among others). The client will not accept a separate count (60% of the project in FM analyzed all together and 40% of the project in properties files). They suggest we mark the code in the properties files as "do not translate" and then extract the text manually on to a Word or txt document. Doing this on over 700 pages would take ages. Can anyone help please? Thanks!Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:07
English to Italian
+ ...
If I understood the problem.... Dec 19, 2004

Maybe you can use the "Use Tm from previous analyse" option of the Analyse dialog box, i.e. just analyse the properties files, then check this option and then run the analyse for the fm files. This second analyse will assume that you have translated the first batch of properties files and will give you the fuzzies and the other figures accordingly. Then just add the figures you had from the 2 total analyse and you should obtain quite an exact figure.
Hope this helps
Massimo
... See more
Maybe you can use the "Use Tm from previous analyse" option of the Analyse dialog box, i.e. just analyse the properties files, then check this option and then run the analyse for the fm files. This second analyse will assume that you have translated the first batch of properties files and will give you the fuzzies and the other figures accordingly. Then just add the figures you had from the 2 total analyse and you should obtain quite an exact figure.
Hope this helps
Massimo

ooops,
I just realized that for the .rc files you have to use another dialog box, and maybe my previous suggestion wouldn't help. Maybe, if the analyse for the .rc files is accurate (I remember that for my .rc files it automatically skipped all the text/code that was not to translate), you could run a first analyse for the rc files, then run a clean-up to update the original Tm, run a second analyse for the fm files, and finally add the 2 total figures as above.

[Edited at 2004-12-19 14:17]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:07
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Convert to RTF Dec 19, 2004

They suggest we mark the code in the properties files as "do not translate" and then extract the text manually on to a Word or txt document. Doing this on over 700 pages would take ages.

You can copy the properties files to a Word document and mark the code with tw4winExternal style using Search and replace with wildcards. It could be quite easy, but it depends on the structure of the files. No extraction would be then necessary, you will be able to analyze the file directly together with the rest of the files.

You can also use a conversion utility, for example Cypresoft RC filter for Trados (converts .rc files to .rtf and vice versa), available from tw_users (rc2trad.zip):
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/files/Utilities/Utilities%20from%20Users/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados analysis of fm and properties files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »