Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2005

I have Trados 6.5 Freelance; so far, I have only practised with it because I'm more familiar with SDLX. I've just accepted an assignment in TagEditor but on starting up Trados, I noticed that my dongle is no longer recognised. The little light on it is on, but Trados' Harvester programme confirms that the dongle cannot be found, despite the fact I have already downloaded the updated drivers. Is there nothing else I can try before buying the softkeys online? I don't understand why the dongle is n... See more
I have Trados 6.5 Freelance; so far, I have only practised with it because I'm more familiar with SDLX. I've just accepted an assignment in TagEditor but on starting up Trados, I noticed that my dongle is no longer recognised. The little light on it is on, but Trados' Harvester programme confirms that the dongle cannot be found, despite the fact I have already downloaded the updated drivers. Is there nothing else I can try before buying the softkeys online? I don't understand why the dongle is no longer recognised because my computer system didn't change.Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 00:53
German to English
+ ...
Reinstallation Jan 17, 2005

Hello,

try at first a reinstallation.

Make sure that you first deinstall Trados and start your pc again.

If reinstallation doesn't work, you can ask Trados for a Test program for your dongle. Sometimes the dongle can ny defect.

With kind regards

Hans

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of dongle do you use? Jan 17, 2005

I assume it is the USB dongle.
What OS do you use?

In the meantime please visit http://c3.safenet-inc.com/Display_Results.asp?DocId=3700 and download the driver offered there. Then close all applications, detach the dongle, install this driver. Restart your computer, attach the dongle.
Should this not be of any help, detach the dongle, deinstall Trados AND
... See more
I assume it is the USB dongle.
What OS do you use?

In the meantime please visit http://c3.safenet-inc.com/Display_Results.asp?DocId=3700 and download the driver offered there. Then close all applications, detach the dongle, install this driver. Restart your computer, attach the dongle.
Should this not be of any help, detach the dongle, deinstall Trados AND all dongle-related software, restart the PC, and then first install Trados (if you should be prompted to restart the PC, do so), and then reinstall the driver you downloaded (you can also download a MSI-installer version, look under "current drives"), restart the PC, and then plug the dongle in. This should help.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Make sure your system recognises the USB ports - this can be another reason for USB dongle not working. Use a simple USB memory key to check. As I don´t know anything about your PC, making a remote diagnosis is as would I read from a crystal ball...

[Edited at 2005-01-17 20:47]
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
scared of reinstallation Jan 17, 2005

Although I have the disks for Trados 6, I upgraded the programme via codes given to me through email - and I seem to remember that I had problems with those and that I had to get new codes (username and password) so I'm dreading this. I don't even know whether these codes will work a second time. I'll have to look it all up again. I have already run the tester programme for the dongle on Trados's website, as I said above, and it doesn't find my dongle. But I'll try to reinstall if I can find th... See more
Although I have the disks for Trados 6, I upgraded the programme via codes given to me through email - and I seem to remember that I had problems with those and that I had to get new codes (username and password) so I'm dreading this. I don't even know whether these codes will work a second time. I'll have to look it all up again. I have already run the tester programme for the dongle on Trados's website, as I said above, and it doesn't find my dongle. But I'll try to reinstall if I can find the courage...Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reinstalling of Trados Jan 17, 2005

Go to www.translationzone.com, go to download section (http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp) and download the latest edition of Trados freelance there. You do not need to have any codes for that. After downloading unzipp the file you downloaded, making sure you are using the folder structure. Ot... See more
Go to www.translationzone.com, go to download section (http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp) and download the latest edition of Trados freelance there. You do not need to have any codes for that. After downloading unzipp the file you downloaded, making sure you are using the folder structure. Otherwise you will not be able to install the application. Go to the main folder, where you unzipped the file and double click on setup. This will start the installation process of Trados. Follow the istructions on the screen. This will alow you to reinstall Trados completly.

Other question: did you purchase the dongle with your current version? If not, then possibly you missed a license migrator...
This is a small file you get from Trados, when you upgrade. Without license migration you will not be able to use your dongle with a higher release as you purchased...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
License migrator? Jan 17, 2005

Thanks for all your help so far. I am downloading the latest version of Trados Freelance 6.5.5.438 right now. Your advice on keeping the file structure will be useful. I bought my dongle at the time I bought Trados Freelance 6.5, only just over a year ago in October 2003. I don't think I would need a license migrator for the latest version 6.5.5.438 and I have never been given one, but it could just be the sort of thing I've overlooked. My computer is quite new and the USB-ports work - I jus... See more
Thanks for all your help so far. I am downloading the latest version of Trados Freelance 6.5.5.438 right now. Your advice on keeping the file structure will be useful. I bought my dongle at the time I bought Trados Freelance 6.5, only just over a year ago in October 2003. I don't think I would need a license migrator for the latest version 6.5.5.438 and I have never been given one, but it could just be the sort of thing I've overlooked. My computer is quite new and the USB-ports work - I just tried my USB-stick to test it. I have already downloaded the latest Sentinel driver which didn't make a difference, but I will see what happens when I've reinstalled Trados. Fingers crossed!Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In this case (bought Trados 6.5) Jan 17, 2005

you will not need a license migrator.
This would apply for example, if you upgraded from Trados 5 to Trados 6.

I keep my fingers crossed, however I do not really see the necessity for that. Installing of Trados is really a piece of cake. Even installing MS applications is quite easy, but Trados is a perfect example of user-friendly installation process.

Good luck
Jerzy

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Translate in SDLX Jan 17, 2005

Anne Lee wrote:

I have Trados 6.5 Freelance; so far, I have only practised with it because I'm more familiar with SDLX. I've just accepted an assignment in TagEditor but on starting up Trados, I noticed that my dongle is no longer recognised. The little light on it is on, but Trados' Harvester programme confirms that the dongle cannot be found, despite the fact I have already downloaded the updated drivers. Is there nothing else I can try before buying the softkeys online? I don't understand why the dongle is no longer recognised because my computer system didn't change.

Hi Anne --

You can translate the files in SDLX and save them as ttx for Trados. If you don't want the client to suspect you've translated them with SDLX, all you need to do is remove the itd in the itd.ttx extension. It works flawlessly. SDLX is always more stable and reliable than Trados, so do look into it if you have SDLX.

Response to a request for details:

Hello Anne --

I really don't understand why a Word document would need to be done with TagEditor (which is for complex formats), but I'm sure you can do it. Open any itd you have and under File, look into the Trados submenu. Choose Export to Trados Tag ttx format. Voilà!

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-01-18 02:06]

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works... Jan 17, 2005

It now all works fine after a computer restart. Hurray! I learned quite a lot tonight, (for example that I had to click on the bland setup-icon when I reinstall, just like you said, rather than the more enticing 'install' icon which leads to an error message.) This forum is extremely valuable for people without a service contract, like me, and I am deeply grateful.

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone. Jan 18, 2005

Thanks, Esther, for your advice on exporting from SDLX. It will be my best shot on this occasion, although I hope to become fully conversant with Trados itself eventually.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle problem

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »