Thread poster: JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 06:31
German to French
+ ...
Apr 1, 2005

Hi,

I am a newbie in using Trados and would like to have some information about the Batch function.
I was given a Word document to translate that is in "Batch mode" (not sure what it means...).
When I open the document, all Trados tags are there. So I asked the agency if I can use TW to translate the file and the girl said no, that I have to translate the text between the tags (the one that is repeated).
So for me, it's more completed now to translate the text like
... See more
Hi,

I am a newbie in using Trados and would like to have some information about the Batch function.
I was given a Word document to translate that is in "Batch mode" (not sure what it means...).
When I open the document, all Trados tags are there. So I asked the agency if I can use TW to translate the file and the girl said no, that I have to translate the text between the tags (the one that is repeated).
So for me, it's more completed now to translate the text like this because I cannot use the functions of Trados.
Is she right when she says that I cannot use Trados?
Thanks a lot!
Caroline
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:31
English to German
+ ...
Is your customer familiar with Trados? Apr 1, 2005

Hi Caroline,
Looking at this, I wonder whether your customer is familiar with Trados... also, are they aware you're using Trados yourself?

Me neither (and frankly, I don't think your customer knows 100% what that's supposed to mean). The concept of batch functions refers to Analyse, Translate and Cleanup, all of which can be executed for several files at the same time (hence the term 'batch').

When I open the document, all Trados tags are there.

Looks like they have pre-translated the document. This is a function that permits translators who don't have Trados to submit a segmented file - but it doesn't make sense when the translator uses Trados.

So I asked the agency if I can use TW to translate the file and the girl said no, that I have to translate the text between the tags (the one that is repeated).

You could still use Trados, but the problem is that there's no benefit from 100% matches - as there is already a target segment, you would need to manually replace each segment.

Check chapter 12 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide, specifically page 12-13 for pre-translation.

So for me, it's more completed now to translate the text like this because I cannot use the functions of Trados.
Is she right when she says that I cannot use Trados?

I don't think so. I would recommend to ask her what exactly they're trying to achieve.

Best regards,
Ralf

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Matches in pre-translated file Apr 1, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

You could still use Trados, but the problem is that there's no benefit from 100% matches - as there is already a target segment, you would need to manually replace each segment.

Are you sure about that, Ralf?
I'm not in the office right now, so I can't verify this, but if the target segment in the document is empty, Trados should be clever enough to insert a translation "proposal" instead when you open the segment. This pertains to repetitions, actually.

If you have matches, i.e. if there are spots with {0>source textexisting target text

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't use tags in forum postings... Apr 1, 2005

Hi,
You may have noted that your posting was cut off - this is because the forum software interprets the 'smaller than' or 'greater than' characters as code. I'm re-quoting your full post:

tectranslate wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I'm not in the office right now, so I can't verify this, but if the target segment in the document is empty, Trados should be clever enough to insert a translation "proposal" instead when you open the segment. This pertains to repetitions, actually.

If you have matches, i.e. if there are spots with {0 source text }100{ existing target text 0} in the file, the translate to next fuzzy function will just skip this one, iirc.

Again, this would have to be verified by experimentation, but in any case I think Caroline should just go ahead & translate with Trados. I think the customer probably doesn't know the first thing about Trados.

[Edited at 2005-04-01 12:16]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I assumed full pre-segmentation Apr 1, 2005

...and responding to your question:

That's correct unless the entire document has been segmented already (by activating the Segment unknown sentences in the Translate dialogue). Judging by Caroline's reference to "the one that is repeated", this would appear to be the case.

I think the customer probably doesn't know the first thing about Trados.

Agreed...

Best regards,
Ralf

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 06:31
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-translated... Apr 1, 2005

is the term I was looking for.
In fact, the text contains 16 exact matches (out of 3,600 words), so it's not much.
I wanted to know if I can still use Trados even if the text is pre-translated without having any problem. The girl said that with my translation, she wants to fill her TM (which I understand), but why should it be a problem for me to use Trados if I don't clean up the files?
Anyway, thanks a lot for your answers!
(not sure what I may do though...)
Cheer
... See more
is the term I was looking for.
In fact, the text contains 16 exact matches (out of 3,600 words), so it's not much.
I wanted to know if I can still use Trados even if the text is pre-translated without having any problem. The girl said that with my translation, she wants to fill her TM (which I understand), but why should it be a problem for me to use Trados if I don't clean up the files?
Anyway, thanks a lot for your answers!
(not sure what I may do though...)
Cheers!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can (and should) use Trados, IMO Apr 1, 2005

Hi again,

To benefit from any repetitions (or subsequent matches) in the text, you will need to copy them manually, as Trados will not copy into a segment that isn't empty.

Ask her... I don't see a problem.
The proper process would be to give you the clean file for translation, plus a reference TM (if any).

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Batch function in Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »