Thread poster: Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2005

Hello everybody,
maybe I am asking for something obvious or impossble, but because the above mentioned problem occours, do you think I could install an old version of Word to use Trados 3.5? If I did, could the two versions be in conflict? To avoid these should I install the older version in a separate folder from the Office package? I have just invested on a new computer and I really cannot afford the new Trados buid now.
Thank you for your replies.

[Subject edited by
... See more
Hello everybody,
maybe I am asking for something obvious or impossble, but because the above mentioned problem occours, do you think I could install an old version of Word to use Trados 3.5? If I did, could the two versions be in conflict? To avoid these should I install the older version in a separate folder from the Office package? I have just invested on a new computer and I really cannot afford the new Trados buid now.
Thank you for your replies.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-05 12:11]
Collapse

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
OS may be the problem Apr 5, 2005

It is very likely that Trados 3.5 is unable to work with Word 2003. In that case installing an older version of Word might be a solution. Running two versions of Word on a single computer should not be a problem. I have Word 97 and Word 2003 on my system, installed in different folders.

However, the real problem may also be caused by your operating system, which is probably XP. It is possible that Trados 3.5 is unable to run on XP, since this Trados version was developed well before
... See more
It is very likely that Trados 3.5 is unable to work with Word 2003. In that case installing an older version of Word might be a solution. Running two versions of Word on a single computer should not be a problem. I have Word 97 and Word 2003 on my system, installed in different folders.

However, the real problem may also be caused by your operating system, which is probably XP. It is possible that Trados 3.5 is unable to run on XP, since this Trados version was developed well before XP even existed.

Perhaps you can check the Trados website for more information on the subject.

[Edited at 2005-04-05 14:47]
Collapse

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 5 and Word 2003 are not compatible Apr 5, 2005

I known this from my onw experience. So just imagine what could happen with Trados 3.5...
I guess you will have to go back to an older version of MS (or upgrade Trados to a version higher than 5 at least!).
Regards, ALEJANDRA

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I do have XP. Apr 5, 2005

But thank you for the answer I will start installing another version of Word now that I know that nothing is going to explode...; )) Dank u wel!!
Barbara

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have trados 3.5 :<O so imagine....I guess we are talking about archeology... Apr 5, 2005

Alejandra Villarroel wrote:

I known this from my onw experience. So just imagine what could happen with Trados 3.5...
I guess you will have to go back to an older version of MS (or upgrade Trados to a version higher than 5 at least!).
Regards, ALEJANDRA

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check guidelines by Microsoft Apr 5, 2005

Hi Barbara,
Although it's generally not recommended to run multiple versions of the same software on one computer, it is possible. However, you should make sure to check the relevant MS Support information.

Best, Ralf

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Trados 6.5 to be used with Word 2003 Apr 5, 2005

Hi:

You can't use Trados 3.5 with Word 2003 because they're not compatible. Only Trados 6.5 can be used with this version of Word.

Regards,
Davor

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Apr 6, 2005

...to Trados Support.

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ralf and Davor thank you to both for clearing this issue. Apr 6, 2005

it is now clear that I can't use Trados : )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to install Trados 3.5 on brand new Toshiba satellite with Word 2003

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »