Tags from xml/xliff format to be transferred to 'SDL type of tags'?
Thread poster: Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:20
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Sep 19, 2021

The source file for a job is supplied in XML - XLIFF format and contains tags of another format than the one used in Trados/SDL-Studio
Here are but a few examples:

{b>Software Version:1..1SPM-MGR-009-002Revision Date August 11, 2021

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:20
English to Russian
Project Settings - File Types - Embedded content Sep 19, 2021

Birthe Omark wrote:
The source file for a job is supplied in XML - XLIFF format and contains tags of another format than the one used in Trados/SDL-Studio
Here are but a few examples:
How do I change these tags into the standard tags used in Studio?
I know that the problem has been dealt with before, but I am unable to find it and I have entirely forgotten, how I solved it when I had the problem last.
Can anyone help or point to an article, please?
Birthe
Go to Project Settings - File Types - XLIFF - Embedded content - check Enable embedded content processing / Extract in all paragraphs - Add [a tag definition rule]
Tag Type: Tag Pair
Start Tag: {b>
End Tag: <b}

[Edited at 2021-09-19 21:13 GMT]

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Embedded tags XLIFF Sep 20, 2021

Thank you very much ... I am guided in the right direction, but not quite yet and my
I see that my examples have disappeared so here we go again:
{b>xyzxyzxyzR

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Palin text tags Sep 20, 2021

Birthe Omark wrote:
Thank you very much ... I am guided in the right direction, but not quite yet and my
I see that my examples have disappeared so here we go again:
{b>xyz < b}
{biu>xyz < biu}
{1>xyz < 1}
{^>R < ^} (R= registered trade mark symbol)
{1}xyz{2}
I am wondering if the TM & XLIFF file come from the XLM Cat-system?
Should I simply use the standard tags from SDL-trados? Or carry on copyint/typing the tags in clear writing??
thanks again
Birthe
I don't know where your file comes from. I think you should ask the one who gave it to you.
You can either re-type all the tags in plain text as they go in your file or convert them into real tags. Your choice only determines how you see them (tags) on your screen, it won't have any effect on your file's code or structure. If plain text is ok for you, just copy source to target and go on with your translation. If you want conversion, I told you how to do that above. For the other tags just repeat the same steps to add each pair of tags.
*No matter how many times you try it, you can't type tags here in plain text without their disappearing. This is how proz forum works.

[Edited at 2021-09-20 13:23 GMT]

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try ... Sep 20, 2021

Thank you very much Stepan for your patience.

I will try to convert and otherwise carry on retyping in plain text/copy which is also a possibility.
Best regards
Birthe

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ah... I think I misunderstood your question Sep 20, 2021

Conversion is only needed to visually distinguish untranslatable tags and protect them from unintentional modification. If you feel like you are ok with plain text and you are pretty sure you don't change those tags by mistake, you may just type in plain text. Whether you convert plain text tags into Trados tags does not affect your source file.

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
End of story Sep 20, 2021

Thank you Stepan ... I just thought it easier (faster) to use the system built into SDL. Reduce the number of key-strokes, isn't that sort of the succes criteria for SDL?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, then you just need to convert the plain text tags into Trados tags Sep 20, 2021

Birthe Omark wrote:
I just thought it easier (faster) to use the system built into SDL. Reduce the number of key-strokes, isn't that sort of the succes criteria for SDL?
Definitely it is. It takes a couple of minutes to implement. You can watch this video explaining how to do that: https://youtu.be/frfJmxs47yA

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent video ... Sep 21, 2021

WOW - I am impressed!
Of your skills as well as presentation. And it works.
Thank you so much for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags from xml/xliff format to be transferred to 'SDL type of tags'?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »