Cannot open a PayPal account from Argentina
Thread poster: Spanish-English Translator
Spanish-English Translator
Local time: 23:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 18, 2009

A customer asks me my PayPal account details to pay me.
I live in Argentina. I do not have a credit card. I do not have an American bank account. I do not want to buy products online.
I want PayPal to send me a check that I will cash in Buenos Aires. (The local bank will charge me USD 5.)
I have tried to open a Premier PayPal account. because it seemed the most suitable option. But I have been asked a credit card number.
What should I do? Thanks and best regards, AT
... See more
A customer asks me my PayPal account details to pay me.
I live in Argentina. I do not have a credit card. I do not have an American bank account. I do not want to buy products online.
I want PayPal to send me a check that I will cash in Buenos Aires. (The local bank will charge me USD 5.)
I have tried to open a Premier PayPal account. because it seemed the most suitable option. But I have been asked a credit card number.
What should I do? Thanks and best regards, AT

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-02 12:36 GMT]
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:05
English to German
+ ...
Why Premier? Jun 18, 2009

Why can't you open a standard PayPal account? The charges aren't that exhorbitant. In Germany, cashing a cheque from a another country is really expensive.

Greetings, JJ

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Watch out for paypal comission Jun 18, 2009

Let me start by saying I use Paypal a lot, but by what you say you will only use it this once, so here is my advice.

To receive money through Paypal, they charge you a percentage of the amount plus a fixed cost (you can see this charge in the Paypal rates page) which depending on the amount of the payment could be close to 5 USD (what you say your bank will charge), so figure out your cost and if there is not much difference (1 or 2 USD) I would forget about Paypal.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 21:05
Spanish to English
Watch out for blacklisting Jun 18, 2009

PayPal has some countries on a blacklist; credit cards from that country (including Peru and several other LA countires) are not accepted for opening a PayPal account.
However, PayPal finds these same credit card accounts perfect for assessing their application fees (which WILL show up on your statement).
Check to make sure you don't have this situation in Argentina

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can I receive payments without a credit card? Jun 18, 2009

I have also tried to open a Personal PayPal account and they asked me again for a credit card number. It seems that if I have not a credit card I cannot receive payments.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Requirements Jun 18, 2009

Argentine Translator wrote:

I have also tried to open a Personal PayPal account and they asked me again for a credit card number.

Of course, you do need a credit card to open a Paypal account.
And not any credit card, a local or regional card is not accepted. You need and international credit card.

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:05
French to English
+ ...
I didn't need a credit card to open a paypal account Jun 18, 2009

I opened one in the US and I did not need a credit card. But I had to wait three days for them to verify my bank account. Also, if I buy something it takes three days for the transaction to go through. I do have a credit card, but I did not want to give the number out.

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Xoom.com Jun 18, 2009

I've found that the easiest way for non-americans to withdraw money from their paypal accounts is through xoom.com. The money will be on your bank account in a few days. Of course, xoom charges a fee for their services also. But you won't have to deal with the fiasco of trying to transfer the funds to your credit card.

Perhaps you can talk your client into using western union? It's the cheapest and fastest method for international payments, imho.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about Moneybookers? Jun 19, 2009

Thank you to everybody for your replies.
My customer also gave me the option of Moneybookers. Do I need a credit card or an American bank account to register with them? I just want to receive the money I earned.
I do not why customers dislike MoneyGram or Western Union.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:05
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Moneybookers seems more convenient for you Jun 19, 2009

Because:

1) Moneybookers commission (less than Paypal's) is paid by the payer, not by the payee.
2) I could open a account in Moneybookers just by having a local bank account (provided, of course, that it has a SWIFT code)
3) Besides, optionally you may have an account off-shore and they will transfer funds from your Moneybookers account to that account.

Saludos

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 07:35
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
Any other friend have paypal ?? Jun 19, 2009

Do you have any other friend who has paypal account ? Ask client to send money into his account and then you can collect from him

Regards
Shadab

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Mohd Jun 19, 2009

I would try to use the account of a good frient as an interim solution and then try to open a Moneybookers account.

PayPal is difficult in some countries. Here in Germany I only needed a bank account for opening a PayPal account.

Once a colleague of mine in Israel wanted to transfer money to a translator in Egypt. It was quite impossible! So she sent the money plus charges to my German account and I sent it to Egypt - a matter of trust, indeed.

Alex ST
Alex ST  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:05
Member (2009)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
use paypal, are you sure? Jun 19, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Let me share you my experience with paypal.

At first, I opened paypal with Premier Account. According to the officer, I will get charge when I receive money from client but no charge to withdraw my money. What is the fact:
1. The receving charge is about almost 5%.
2. When I need to withdrwa the money (from USD to Rupiah) paypal use its own currency rate, which is for about USD 200 the currency r
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Let me share you my experience with paypal.

At first, I opened paypal with Premier Account. According to the officer, I will get charge when I receive money from client but no charge to withdraw my money. What is the fact:
1. The receving charge is about almost 5%.
2. When I need to withdrwa the money (from USD to Rupiah) paypal use its own currency rate, which is for about USD 200 the currency rate charge USD 30.
3. When you receive money from your bank, may be local bank put you some charge (in my country, no charge).
Conclusion: (USD 200 x 5%) + USD 30 + local bank charge. This is the amount you need to be freely happy as charge!

Later, I open Personal Account. According to the officer, I will get charge none when I receive and withdraw money, as long as the money sent comes from Paypal Balance, Paypal Check or Bank Transfer - not from Credit Card source. Then, I got payment. First and second payment no charge. But the third, I got charge for receiving money. After talking with paypal officer, reply says: since June 4th, 2009 we apply charge from Personal Account. Well, I was surprised because this is new regulation, and haven't socialized to me first as member! Guess what, Paypal applies rule at one side only, without giving information.

If you don't have credit card, (as my talk with paypal officer), you can open an account. You can receive money. But, you can't withdraw your money from paypal to your local bank. Make sure you have credit card, then your account can be verified to withdraw money.

WesternUnion is very expensive, though it's fast transfer.

Moneybookers I believe the most suitable. I have the account, But I haven't used this for my transaction, yet. I will let you know later If I have that experience.

Regards
Alex ST
Collapse

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Costs are tremendous Jun 19, 2009

I agree with you Alex. I still have my PayPal account because it is suitable for smaller amounts and some customers want to pay with PayPal only.

On small amounts you really "don't notice" the costs, but if you receive 1000 USD and they keep 50 USD (!!!!) for nothing, I get always concerned about my blood pressure....

Valeria Donzelli
Valeria Donzelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
paypal cheque Jul 22, 2009

Hi!
Sorry for maybe not following the discussion, but I would like to ask you, especially translators from Argentina and abroad (outside the US) if you have ever asked a cheque from paypal and how long did it take to arrive. My situation: I ordered a cheque on july 8th and have not had any news yet (that is 14 days have passed). Is this something common? Can anyone else cash the cheque? This is the first time I do it. I also wrote and asked paypal if they had any record of where the cheque
... See more
Hi!
Sorry for maybe not following the discussion, but I would like to ask you, especially translators from Argentina and abroad (outside the US) if you have ever asked a cheque from paypal and how long did it take to arrive. My situation: I ordered a cheque on july 8th and have not had any news yet (that is 14 days have passed). Is this something common? Can anyone else cash the cheque? This is the first time I do it. I also wrote and asked paypal if they had any record of where the cheque might be.
Thanks in advance,
Vale.

[Edited at 2009-07-22 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open a PayPal account from Argentina

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »