Off topic: clarifications from clients
Thread poster: R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
Local time: 03:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2010

I occasionally meet funny, almost non-sense abbreviations or sentences that can be clarified by the client only and I can see that questions are asked in Proz for some obscure meanings that only the client has in mind and that a translator cannot but assume.

I wonder how often a translator can go back to the client without being unpolite or unprofessional requesting an explanation on a particular shortened form or for a word that is used in a particular context and with a personal m
... See more
I occasionally meet funny, almost non-sense abbreviations or sentences that can be clarified by the client only and I can see that questions are asked in Proz for some obscure meanings that only the client has in mind and that a translator cannot but assume.

I wonder how often a translator can go back to the client without being unpolite or unprofessional requesting an explanation on a particular shortened form or for a word that is used in a particular context and with a personal meaning in mind.....

And how often a text is to be rejected due to a poor linguistic form.

A professional curiosity.

[Edited at 2010-11-30 08:21 GMT]
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How often may I ask for clarifications? Nov 30, 2010

...as often as it takes to get it right (and that is my answer to both of your questions, whereby I have found that once is usually enough).

You could also "collect" the terms and abbreviations you are unsure of and send the questions to the client in one single batch.

I think most clients would be annoyed by multiple individual queries "as you go" (I know I would be annoyed).

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 04:58
English to Russian
+ ...
xxx_querries Nov 30, 2010

It's not unusual for me to send a file with querries to a client, usually a simple table in Word. I compile problem points there as I go and send it when I am through. As a rule, I let a night or at least a few hours pass before I start proofreading, so the answers to the querries are dealt with at this stage.

R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Nov 30, 2010

both of you appear to summarise key issues and queries and submit them all together in one stage. The idea of leaving the work cool down before proofreading is appealing, provided one can stay far from papers long enough!

Thank you. R.C.

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 04:58
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I always do Nov 30, 2010

Valery Kaminski wrote:

It's not unusual for me to send a file with querries to a client, usually a simple table in Word.

Sure, I always do when there is a need.

Nikita Kobrin

[Edited at 2010-11-30 22:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

clarifications from clients

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »