Disclaimer for translation of an audio dialogue
מפרסם התגובה: Ionela Popescu
Ionela Popescu
Ionela Popescu
ארצות הברית
Dec 19, 2012

Hi everyone,
I have just finished a translation for an audio dialogue (1 minute long) which was pretty short. The content of the conversation is to be used as evidence in court and the language used in the dialogue is pretty harsh (threats, insults, etc.)
I think that as a translator, I will be more comfortable to add some sort of disclaimer to the translation. Any ideas about how the disclaimer should sound like? Thank you in advance.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
אוסטריה
Local time: 02:06
מגרמנית לאנגלית
+ ...
Don't follow Dec 19, 2012

Do you mean you think your translation might be wrong - in which case I'd enter in the text itself the bits I'm unsure about.

If it's just the strong language, I see no point. If it's there, you translate it. I'm sure the courts will have encountered strong language before and is not likely to think you 've put it there yourself.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
מצרפתית לאנגלית
+ ...
נזכור
Translate it as it is Dec 19, 2012

My advice would be simply to translate the dialogue as it is, strong language included. It's quite likely that the court needs to know the kind of language that was being used. It may well be part of the case.
I had a similar situation yesterday, in a way. Not concerning strong language, but two video interviews in which the interviewees spoke extremely colloquially and incoherently in incomplete sentences full of "ums" and "ers" and what I presume to be the Spanish equivalent of "whatever
... See more
My advice would be simply to translate the dialogue as it is, strong language included. It's quite likely that the court needs to know the kind of language that was being used. It may well be part of the case.
I had a similar situation yesterday, in a way. Not concerning strong language, but two video interviews in which the interviewees spoke extremely colloquially and incoherently in incomplete sentences full of "ums" and "ers" and what I presume to be the Spanish equivalent of "whatever", etc. I just translated what they said as best I could and explained to the PM that that was the way they spoke in the source videos. Haven't received any complaints - yet!
Best wishes,
Jenny
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
ברזיל
Local time: 21:06
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
נזכור
You can't apply a disclaimer on legal evidence... Dec 19, 2012

... however you may state that it was done to the best of your understanding (which might be insufficient, hence open to challenge).

Imagine a forensic expert stating, "The victim was shot through the heart, however s/he might have had a heart attack upon seeing a gun pointed at them before it was fired. What's the expert's conclusion, then?

On the other hand, your expertise may be expected to judge the strength of the i
... See more
... however you may state that it was done to the best of your understanding (which might be insufficient, hence open to challenge).

Imagine a forensic expert stating, "The victim was shot through the heart, however s/he might have had a heart attack upon seeing a gun pointed at them before it was fired. What's the expert's conclusion, then?

On the other hand, your expertise may be expected to judge the strength of the insults, as some of them are relatively much lighter (or heavier) in another language/culture.

One major problem is audio clarity. I cover that in a different setting at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/lecture_en.html . If some words in your recording are smothered by unremovable noise, they'll be open to challenge.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disclaimer for translation of an audio dialogue

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »