+ ...
Can't say that I will lose any sleep over this, but... Jul 30, 2023

I am also not "welcome" on the website.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Professionalism Jul 31, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:
With all due respect, whoever is managing this website, he is an idiot.

I know I'm the least qualified person around to say this. But I always feel the translation industry is seriously lacking professionalism. While I appreciate the efforts to create a database of known scammers to help as many people as they can, that website is the prime example of tasteless writing.

(inb4 anyone citing a post I previously made as a retaliation to the above blanket statement)

[Edited at 2023-07-31 03:16 GMT]

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:01
English to Turkish
They can shove their website... Jul 31, 2023

My CV got stolen about three years ago and was used to apply to hundreds, if not thousands, of translation agencies all over the world. I was informed of this by my old boss through a Whatsapp message in the middle of the night as hers, in a bizarre twist of fate, was one of the agencies to which my old CV found its way, and she threatened to sue me again (well, not exactly again, because I sued her first after she fired me).
But the bizzarrest part of it all was that I got exposed
... See more
My CV got stolen about three years ago and was used to apply to hundreds, if not thousands, of translation agencies all over the world. I was informed of this by my old boss through a Whatsapp message in the middle of the night as hers, in a bizarre twist of fate, was one of the agencies to which my old CV found its way, and she threatened to sue me again (well, not exactly again, because I sued her first after she fired me).
But the bizzarrest part of it all was that I got exposed as a 'Palestinian scammer' on that brilliant website, and I have to live with this throughout my career I guess.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Website best ignored Jul 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

But the bizzarrest part of it all was that I got exposed as a 'Palestinian scammer' on that brilliant website, and I have to live with this throughout my career I guess.

Who runs that website?

They don't say who they are, yet they feel they can be judge-and-jury about who is or is not a scammer?

Plus the site is designed by a child.

Baran Keki
Thomas T. Frost
Mr. Satan (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:01
Danish to English
+ ...
Victims column Jul 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

I can only find your name in the green

VICTIM(S) OF THE SCAM
SCAMMER'S CV OR DATA STOLEN FROM
column to the right. That means you are the victim, not the Palestinian scammer.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Apologies then Jul 31, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I can only find your name in the green

VICTIM(S) OF THE SCAM
SCAMMER'S CV OR DATA STOLEN FROM
column to the right. That means you are the victim, not the Palestinian scammer.

At the time I saw my email listed among the scammers, they may have corrected their error afterwards.. if that's the case (I have no way of knowing as I can't access their website, but I do trust Thomas) they can take their website out of their a... I do apologize for the pain and misplaced allegation.

Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Screenshot Jul 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

At the time I saw my email listed among the scammers, they may have corrected their error afterwards.. if that's the case (I have no way of knowing as I can't access their website, but I do trust Thomas) they can take their website out of their a... I do apologize for the pain and misplaced allegation.

header
Baran

It's still good for you to see the evidence.

Did you try to access the site with the Tor browser? I mostly use the browser to bypass geoblocking, typically by US websites so terrified of the GDPR that they prefer to block the EU. You can tell the browser to give the website an IP address from any country you want, e.g. the US. So the blocking website now thinks I am browsing from within the US and happily shows me the banned content.

[Edited at 2023-07-31 10:53 GMT]

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Actually Jul 31, 2023

I received this email at the time, thinking that I was exposed as a 'Palestinian scammer'

aassa

Gabriela Raț
Gabriela Raț  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2020)
German to Romanian
+ ...
If not CVs, then what? Jul 31, 2023

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Dear colleagues and nevertheless friends,

On a daily basis, our little translation office receives roughly a dozen of fake CVs. I see that virtually no legitimate translator sends their CV by email anymore. It is all scammers!

Let's assume that there is a translator who would like to start a collaboration with your agency. What do you think would be the best way for them to get in touch? I looked at your website, and noticed that there is no dedicated ”Careers” section. I can only assume, that given the fact that you are a small agency, you are the one contacting potential collaborators, whenever you need them. But what if someone wants to send an unsolicited application? The only viable alternative would seem to be sending a CV.

I think it is safe to say that unlike your boutique agency, there are many other agencies (large or small) that allow freelancers to express their interest in a collaboration. Many of them still ask for a CV, and some of them require it sent by email. Virtually all of my agency clients have asked for my CV at some point in the application process.

I am asking out of genuine curiosity: if the emailed CV is dead, then what is the alternative?

[Edited at 2023-07-31 18:00 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Lieven Malaise
Evgeny Sidorenko
Baran Keki
Metin Demirel
Marina Aleyeva
Becca Resnik

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:01
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No respect Jul 31, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

For those who did not have a clue that this is happening or who might have their CVs and names stolen by scammers, please pay a visit to http://www.translator-scammers.com!

For any CV you get, you can easily check whether an email address is fake here: http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-emails.htm

With all due respect, whoever is managing this website, he is an idiot.

I take it that you do not respect a colleague who is concerned about protecting us and therefore also you against scammers. You may criticize the way how he tries to protect himself and his site against attacks from them scammers, but you are not allowed to call him an idiot. May I ask what your humble and useful contribution is in that matter? His name should be well known to all site users who follow this problem for a long time and I believe he has good reasons to hide his name now.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
What??? Jul 31, 2023

I see that virtually no legitimate translator sends their CV by email anymore. It is all scammers!

This offends me.
My full and real name can be found on Google and I still send my CV by email, whether voluntarily or upon request.
I am NOT a scammer and I truly hope no serious agency out there believes otherwise.

[Edited at 2023-07-31 18:57 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Évariste Willy Noah
Melina Kajander
Anna A. K.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tomás Aug 1, 2023

Here an example:

Notice how the scammer deliberately makes mistakes, to ensure that the only people who reply to him are truly gullible and thus worth spending time and effort on.

By the way, is the purpose of your post to encourage us not to send our CVs to translation agencies, Tomás? An agency's PM isn't going to open the attached CV unless the email itself has convinced them of the translator's worth, so it should be safe to send a CV, if you're confident that the body of your email won't scare off the recipient.

Christopher Schröder
Lieven Malaise
Zea_Mays
Jorge Payan
Marina Taffetani
expressisverbis
Évariste Willy Noah

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not Palestine Aug 1, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

'Palestinian scammer'

I suspect the scammer is not in Palestine and has nothing to do with Palestine. Although they may be someone who doesn't like Palestinians. For some reason.......

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Aug 1, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
I suspect the scammer is not in Palestine and has nothing to do with Palestine.

What makes you suspect this, Tom?

expressisverbis

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Do you seek permanent employment? Aug 1, 2023

Gabriela Raț wrote:

I am asking out of genuine curiosity: if the emailed CV is dead, then what is the alternative?
[Edited at 2023-07-31 18:00 GMT]

A colleague replied to this question before it was asked:

Thayenga wrote:

An entrepreneur has a business brochure - which should be send only upon an explicit request.

CVs are actually just needed for employment or tenders.

As a freelancer, you don't need to send a CV.
You have a business website instead, you have an informative profile on professional platforms like Proz and/or LinkedIn.
You'll describe your experience and the fields you work in and how long you are doing this. You'll state your rates (btw., low rates do not look professional).
You'll provide reference letters, for example from agencies you collaborated with, stating your strengths (of course these letters are just to be sent to appropriate parties).
Etc.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only FAKE translators email their CV...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »