Thread poster: uFO
uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 22:42
Korean to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2004

I have been contracted by an interpretation agency in the US and after signing a regular contract, they send me this W-8BEN which I am not sure what to do about. I am mostly confused about Part II Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits. I am tempted not to mark anything, but I am worried it would allow them to deduct US taxes from my paycheck. Any advice or links will be greatly appreciated.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Will respond later Feb 9, 2004

I just completed the whole process. I am at work now but will check it out when I get home and respond then.

Ariser
Ariser
English to Dutch
+ ...
IRS instructions for form W8BEN Feb 9, 2004

See the link below for pdf instructions for form W8BEN:
(http://www.irs.gov/app/scripts/redirectPDF.jsp?dest=/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf)

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no progress yet Feb 10, 2004

Thanks, Ariser, I have read the instuctions, in fact, I spend two hours yesterday doing just that, but it didn't help. Even if IRS intentionally wanted to confuse people, I don't think they could make their instructions any more obscure.
I found a tax treaty with Canada, and I narrowed it down to articles XIV and XV, but I am still not sure whether working for an agancy qualifies as independent personal services or dependant personal services. Plus, in the form I also have to put the rate
... See more
Thanks, Ariser, I have read the instuctions, in fact, I spend two hours yesterday doing just that, but it didn't help. Even if IRS intentionally wanted to confuse people, I don't think they could make their instructions any more obscure.
I found a tax treaty with Canada, and I narrowed it down to articles XIV and XV, but I am still not sure whether working for an agancy qualifies as independent personal services or dependant personal services. Plus, in the form I also have to put the rate of withholding and I am totally confused what that is.

And, Tina, I am really looking forward to your posting...

[Edited at 2004-02-10 16:44]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sorry it took so long... Feb 11, 2004

Sorry it took so long but here is my W-8BEN story.

First, you will need a TIN number (like a social insurance number for non-residents). To get that, you have to fill out a form W-7, which you will find on the web site: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf.

You need to fill out that form (it comes with instructions) and send it to the IRS, together with a certified co
... See more
Sorry it took so long but here is my W-8BEN story.

First, you will need a TIN number (like a social insurance number for non-residents). To get that, you have to fill out a form W-7, which you will find on the web site: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf.

You need to fill out that form (it comes with instructions) and send it to the IRS, together with a certified copy of your passport or other photo ID. Then they will send you your TIN number, which needs to be filled in under part I, point 6 of the form W-8BEN.

When I received the form W-8BEN from my publisher in the US, they had already filled most of it in for me.

In part I , my contact information.
In part II, 9 a) resident of CANADA;
10) claim a 0 % rate of withholding on (in your case TRANSLATION I assume).

I hope this is helpful. If you have questions, feel free to send me an e-mail via my profile.
Collapse

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Feb 11, 2004

Tina, thank you very much. You really helped me out.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Your're welcome Feb 12, 2004

I forgot to mention that the 0% percent withholding rate of course means that you will need to declare the income on your Canadian tax return.

uFO wrote:

Tina, thank you very much. You really helped me out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with W-8BEN from Canadian colleagues

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »