Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2004

Hi.

I'm not sure this is the place to post this message, but I'm sure it will get moved if it's not.

This evening I got an email from someone that stated the following:

"I am a fellow translator, web-designer and programmer. I am offering you fully functional CAT tools 2003/4:

TRADOS 6.5 freelance - no hardware dongle; can install on multiple PSC and laptops because no restriction of hardware dongle - it has a software dongle/emulator. - 1000
... See more
Hi.

I'm not sure this is the place to post this message, but I'm sure it will get moved if it's not.

This evening I got an email from someone that stated the following:

"I am a fellow translator, web-designer and programmer. I am offering you fully functional CAT tools 2003/4:

TRADOS 6.5 freelance - no hardware dongle; can install on multiple PSC and laptops because no restriction of hardware dongle - it has a software dongle/emulator. - 1000 USD/Euro real cost.
DejaVu 3.0
DejaVu X Pro
SDLX 2003
STAR Transit 2003
IBM CAT tool 2003
Wordfast 2003
Webbudget XT
Robohelp 2004

Also with CAT tools 2003/4 goes Adobe newest software:
FrameMaker 7.0
PageMaker 7.0
Photoshop CS
Acrobat 6 Pro
Go Live CS
Illustrator CS
InDesign CS

and

QuarkXpress 6.0
Norton System Works 2004 - Norton Utilities, Norton Anti-virus, etc.
PestPatrol 2003
Anti-Trojan 5.5 2003
MS Windows XP Pro 2002
MS Office XP Pro 2002

Think of this wonderful opportunity - you can have all these 20+ expensive softs for as low as 200 Euro/250 USD. Payment is made via Western Union which is in every country of the world. Payment is received immediately within 10 minutes of being sent by the sender and your softs will be on their way to you same day payment has been received via DHL courier!"

Now I can't imagine that this is legal, and I told him that I didn't trust it ... and he wrote back and said:

"Yes, they are fully licensed and work perfectly well with a software dongle/emulator instead of the tedious hardware one!

I can give you some e-mail addresses of fellow-translators who bought them from me and they can testify to the fact that they got the softs 2-3 days after they paid. The day you send the payment of 250 USD to the person and country I will give you, same day softs will be on their way to you! And you will receive them within 2-3 days.

If you send payment today, I will send the softs in the morning same day. Western Union works 7 days a week."

The thing is ... I still don't trust it. Come on. "The day you send the payment of 250 USD to the person and country I will give you, the same day softs will be on their way to you!"??? And I would give you guys his name, but he is writing from a hotmail account and has yet to sign his name to any of his emails!!

Any comments...?
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Not legal Jul 21, 2004

Hi Sandra

When softwares that usually need a dongle are sent without it, it's because they are not legal copies. It's a good reason not to give an address or contact details, the sender could be in trouble with several companies.
It might be true that he's going to send the CD-ROM to you, but you have no guarantee for that nor for the products later.

ProZ.com has restricted its access to some members who were trying to send illegal software copies. I think that th
... See more
Hi Sandra

When softwares that usually need a dongle are sent without it, it's because they are not legal copies. It's a good reason not to give an address or contact details, the sender could be in trouble with several companies.
It might be true that he's going to send the CD-ROM to you, but you have no guarantee for that nor for the products later.

ProZ.com has restricted its access to some members who were trying to send illegal software copies. I think that this should be known.
Whenever you receive this kind of offers via your profile you should forward them to ProZ.com staff.

Claudia
Collapse

Dave REESE
Dave REESE
Japan
Local time: 20:18
Japanese to English
Yikes! Jul 21, 2004

Unsolicited mail ... Hotmail address ... no name or address ... payment via Western Union ... ridiculously low prices ... no dongle ... etc etc etc. I'd stay far far away from that one!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:18
English to German
+ ...
Almost certainly illegal Jul 21, 2004

Hi Sandra,
The chances that this is a genuine offer for licensed software are almost zero.

ProZ.com staff and moderators actively pursue such 'offers' and block the senders to the extent possible.

Best regards, Ralf

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Messages and headers sent to Ralf.... Jul 21, 2004

Hi guys.

I'm following up with Ralf on this one. Thanks.

Sandra

(P.S. I'm a scam baiter in my off-hours...)

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definetely ilegal! Jul 21, 2004

Sandra Alboum wrote:
Also with CAT tools 2003/4 goes Adobe newest software:
FrameMaker 7.0
PageMaker 7.0
Photoshop CS
Acrobat 6 Pro
Go Live CS
Illustrator CS
InDesign CS

Last year I bought Framemaker 6 and it cost me US$ 2,500 plus VAT (19%). So there is no way they can sell you Frame 7 plus all the other software for that amount.

My computer tech tells me there are plenty of sites in the Internet that will give you pirated copies of most programs, including Trados.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:18
English to German
+ ...
Profile blocked Jul 21, 2004

Hi all,
Thanks to the information forwarded by Sandra, we were able to pinpoint the originator of those messages. Although they hadn't been sent through ProZ.com, we could find a connection and have consequently blocked the relevant profile (which will probably be removed by site staff in due course).

Thanks for your support.

Best regards, Ralf

myrc (X)
myrc (X)

Local time: 06:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very very suspicious... definitely no! Oct 17, 2004

By my general experience; once you give the money if there isn't a strong guarantee to obtain the benefit, say bye bye to both things. I bought Trados 6.5 recently priced at $747.30 USD and they give you a personal online operations center where you can download it as many times as you want, besides if you work with a team each member can use the software too by means of this personal site. If the suspicious salesman sends you something they must be demos, Trados uses unlock keys in my case and ... See more
By my general experience; once you give the money if there isn't a strong guarantee to obtain the benefit, say bye bye to both things. I bought Trados 6.5 recently priced at $747.30 USD and they give you a personal online operations center where you can download it as many times as you want, besides if you work with a team each member can use the software too by means of this personal site. If the suspicious salesman sends you something they must be demos, Trados uses unlock keys in my case and I haven't been able to find a full copied version here in Peru.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software offer...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »