Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:38
Czech to German
+ ...
Oct 9, 2004

Hi all,

in this forum there has been a similar question on copyrights recently but the answers don't fit into my case exactly so here's what I'd like to hear your opinions about:
I got an offer from an agency for collaboration and the first thing they sent me - apart from what they are willing to pay - was a letter I should sign and send back. This paper would require me to return ***everything*** I ever did for them and ever received from them after the end of our collaborat
... See more
Hi all,

in this forum there has been a similar question on copyrights recently but the answers don't fit into my case exactly so here's what I'd like to hear your opinions about:
I got an offer from an agency for collaboration and the first thing they sent me - apart from what they are willing to pay - was a letter I should sign and send back. This paper would require me to return ***everything*** I ever did for them and ever received from them after the end of our collaboration, including all copies etc.
Of course nobody will come to my flat to check my computer whether I did delete everything or not but the very "feeling" (you know what I mean) makes me somewhat reluctant to go on with this agency. This is the first time anybody wants me to do that so I'm a bit angry - but maybe it's normal practice and I shouldn't?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Charlotte

PS It's an agency here in the CR, I forgot to say.

[Edited at 2004-10-09 16:29]
Collapse

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:38
Member (2002)
English to German
Cross out this passage? Oct 9, 2004

I have seen such contracts before. Basically the agencies are concerned about confidentiality.

What I did in this case was to cross out these passages and tell them that there are legal requirements in my country that I have to obey, stating I have to keep copies of all letters, work etc. for tax purposes. So I am just not allowed to delete my work and had to cross out this part of the contract since I have to comply with the law.

The agencies always said: "Fine, nothin
... See more
I have seen such contracts before. Basically the agencies are concerned about confidentiality.

What I did in this case was to cross out these passages and tell them that there are legal requirements in my country that I have to obey, stating I have to keep copies of all letters, work etc. for tax purposes. So I am just not allowed to delete my work and had to cross out this part of the contract since I have to comply with the law.

The agencies always said: "Fine, nothing can be done about it so we just forget this part"

I don't know if this applies to you as well...
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:38
English to German
+ ...
Normal NDA clause Oct 9, 2004

Hi Charlotte,
Clauses such as this one are pretty common in non-disclosure agreements. I generally edit them to specifically and expressly exclude the contents of translation memories and termbases.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency wants me to sign letter of intent

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »