Legalize at a notary as a sworn translation?
Thread poster: myrc (X)
myrc (X)
myrc (X)

Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2004

Hi

I live in Lima, Perú. They ask me a sworn translation, as I'm not a sworn translator,that is to say a registered or certified translator with a number, can I legalize it at a notary? does it has the same value as an official translation?

Greetings,

Myriam Canales
EnglishSpanish translator
Lima - Perú
Email: [email protected]

[Edited at 2004-10-17 20:30]
... See more
Hi

I live in Lima, Perú. They ask me a sworn translation, as I'm not a sworn translator,that is to say a registered or certified translator with a number, can I legalize it at a notary? does it has the same value as an official translation?

Greetings,

Myriam Canales
EnglishSpanish translator
Lima - Perú
Email: [email protected]

[Edited at 2004-10-17 20:30]

[Edited at 2004-10-17 21:09]

[Edited at 2004-10-17 21:10]

[Edited at 2004-10-17 21:10]
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
It depends on what the client means and what laws prevail in Peru Oct 17, 2004

In some places, translators must be tested, certified, and registered as such. They are issued a number, a card, and a seal to apply to the translations they produce, without which the translator would be considered unofficial.

In places where no such legal requirements exist, the translator declares at the bottom of the translation that she/he has produced the translation, that she/he is professionally competent to do so, and that the translation is true to the orginal. The transl
... See more
In some places, translators must be tested, certified, and registered as such. They are issued a number, a card, and a seal to apply to the translations they produce, without which the translator would be considered unofficial.

In places where no such legal requirements exist, the translator declares at the bottom of the translation that she/he has produced the translation, that she/he is professionally competent to do so, and that the translation is true to the orginal. The translator's signature on that statement is usually notarized to make it "official." This is what we do here in Texas.

I would check with the client to verify what they mean by "official" translation.
Collapse

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 19:08
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Notarization vs. Legalization Oct 18, 2004

These two are different things. You can notarize your translation at a notary's office upon producing your certificate of translator/interpreter. To my best knowledge, that works in states, where there is no institute of a 'sworn translator'.

As for legalization, it may take a place only after notarization of a document as above.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Oct 18, 2004

The only person who can legalize a translation in Peru is a Sworn Translator, who is in the official list published by the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legalize at a notary as a sworn translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »