Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2004

Hi everybody,

I have opened a Paypal account already some time ago however feel very reluctant to receive payments on it mainly because of horrific stories of Paypal freezing its customers accounts for no apparent reason. At the same time I agree Paypal is very convenient to make payments.
Has anybody ever had problems with Paypal account? Or maybe Paypal has changed its policies and I should finally change my attitude?

Thanks!
Burrell

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
Member (2002)
Russian to English
i wouldn't mess with it Nov 4, 2004

my account got frozen about nine months ago, and they make it impossible to unfreeze if you are travelling -which i am doing much of the year. their customer support is nonexistant, all you get is automated replies.
E

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Paypal Nov 4, 2004

Hi Burrell

I have a Paypal account and so far no problem.
BUT three days ago I got an e-mail from their Adm Dept. informing that I should update my details within 5th Nov. otherwise my account will be suspended (they update details for safety reasons on a periodical basis).
They also added a link, but it is broken, and I get an error message whenever I try to access that page.
I wrote 4 e-mails to inform them of the inconvenience, but no reply so far. My last e-mai
... See more
Hi Burrell

BUT three days ago I got an e-mail from their Adm Dept. informing that I should update my details within 5th Nov. otherwise my account will be suspended (they update details for safety reasons on a periodical basis).
They also added a link, but it is broken, and I get an error message whenever I try to access that page.
I wrote 4 e-mails to inform them of the inconvenience, but no reply so far. My last e-mail was just to inform that I will cancel my account if I do not get a reply to mt query.
Of course, no reply.
Besides, it is really impossible to contact anybody from Paypal website: there are only pre-set replies, such as in the FAQ's.
I do not know what to think. Even if I never experienced a freezing of my account, I am not in the position to advise anything now about Paypal.
I will wait and let you know.
Sorry not to be of any help.

Antonella
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Search the forums... Nov 4, 2004

...and visit the "Paypalsucks" website at www.paypalsucks.com for updated information on lawsuits, etc. concerning Paypal.

I briefly opened an account with them and then closed it after reading the horror stories.

Yes, it is convenient, but it is also a huge risk. I would rather pay bank transfer fees and rest assured that nobody is going to "freeze" my account.

I would d
... See more
...and visit the "Paypalsucks" website at www.paypalsucks.com for updated information on lawsuits, etc. concerning Paypal.

I briefly opened an account with them and then closed it after reading the horror stories.

Yes, it is convenient, but it is also a huge risk. I would rather pay bank transfer fees and rest assured that nobody is going to "freeze" my account.

I would definitely stay away from Paypal.

Regards,
Sara
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
No problems here Nov 4, 2004

Despite all the horror stories, I actually never experienced any problems with PayPal and I do use it regularly (but never for large amounts).

They also replied rather promptly when I contacted them with a question.

In short, still a happy customer...

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Another happy customer Nov 4, 2004

I also am a happy Paypal customer. I have used it regularly for a couple of years or more and have never had a problem.

Amy

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Despite all the horror stories, I actually never experienced any problems with PayPal and I do use it regularly (but never for large amounts).

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The risk is not worth it Nov 4, 2004

Well, I got my answers, thanks everybody!
I was under impression that I am the only suspicious one here and everybody else is happily using Paypal.
I will definitely delete the Paypal payment option from my Proz.com profile. The risk is not worth it. After all, moneybookers is still out there (or has anybody come across a moneybookerssucks site?).

Cheers!
Burrell

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 10:31
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

How did you access your money? Nov 4, 2004

AmyD wrote:

I also am a happy Paypal customer. I have used it regularly for a couple of years or more and have never had a problem.

Amy

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Hi Evert and Amy,
I am another recipient of automated messages. I tried to transfer some money from PayPal into my account, but the transaction was refused and PayPal dinged me $30. They said the info was incomplete, but I filled in everything they wanted, the same info many agencies across the world have.
These agencies, from a variety of locales, deposit money into my account without difficulty. PayPal has refused me twice now. How do I get at the money? They sent me a survey last week asking how they did, with a section to put in my comments, and I told them the above. No answer so far.

Nancy

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
My personal experience with PayPal Nov 4, 2004

Hello,

I wanted to address Nancy's concern about providing bank information. I also provided them my bank information, and I had the same problem at first. They tried to send test deposits, and they were unsuccessful.

It turns out that there are extra digits in your banking information that your bank doesn't normally provide. I didn't find this out until I called PayPal. After calling them, I was able to resolve it by calling my bank again.

As far as negati
... See more
Hello,

I wanted to address Nancy's concern about providing bank information. I also provided them my bank information, and I had the same problem at first. They tried to send test deposits, and they were unsuccessful.

It turns out that there are extra digits in your banking information that your bank doesn't normally provide. I didn't find this out until I called PayPal. After calling them, I was able to resolve it by calling my bank again.

As far as negative comments about PayPal's customer service, I have to disagree. They have live telephone support, which I have used twice. Both times they were very friendly and helped me resolve any issues.

I have been paid by a number of agencies through PayPal without any problems. I think people are too quick to trash them without trying them first.

Russell
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Happy PayPal customer Nov 4, 2004

I have been a happy PayPal customer for a couple of years and have even received amounts up to 1500 USD. I must admit though that I have my account in the US (not in Suriname where I am currently residing) and that might make a difference.

I used their email support and received a response and help within 24 hours.

It is Moneybookers that I have problems with. Have money with them and cannot get it out to save my life.

Lucinda

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Be careful Nov 5, 2004

You seem to be lucky that the link was broken. More often than not such messages come under the classification of "phishing". I will not be surprised if your link turns out to have nothing to do with Paypal. People do get such email invitations to update their details from apparently impeccable sources such as citibank. On closer inspection, it turns out to be an attempt by an outsider to know your bank account details including passwords. Ask Kim Metzger. Sometime back he wrote about such an em... See more
You seem to be lucky that the link was broken. More often than not such messages come under the classification of "phishing". I will not be surprised if your link turns out to have nothing to do with Paypal. People do get such email invitations to update their details from apparently impeccable sources such as citibank. On closer inspection, it turns out to be an attempt by an outsider to know your bank account details including passwords. Ask Kim Metzger. Sometime back he wrote about such an email which he received. See: http://www.proz.com/post/148225
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:

Hi Burrell

I wrote 4 e-mails to inform them of the inconvenience, but no reply so far. My last e-mail was just to inform that I will cancel my account if I do not get a reply to mt query.
Of course, no reply.
Besides, it is really impossible to contact anybody from Paypal website: there are only pre-set replies, such as in the FAQ's.
I do not know what to think. Even if I never experienced a freezing of my account, I am not in the position to advise anything now about Paypal.
I will wait and let you know.
Sorry not to be of any help.

Antonella
Collapse

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:31
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
My experience with Paypal Nov 5, 2004

...has not been very good either: I opened an account with them in 2002 and after receiving payments totalling 400 EUR, I was suddenly told that being a resident of an "unsafe" country (Peru) I was not entitled to withdraw any money from my Paypal account! What annoyed me most was that they had not told me this BEFORE. I don't mind their being so strict about the countries they consider safe, but then they simply should not allow people to open accounts in these countries in the first place!
... See more
...has not been very good either: I opened an account with them in 2002 and after receiving payments totalling 400 EUR, I was suddenly told that being a resident of an "unsafe" country (Peru) I was not entitled to withdraw any money from my Paypal account! What annoyed me most was that they had not told me this BEFORE. I don't mind their being so strict about the countries they consider safe, but then they simply should not allow people to open accounts in these countries in the first place!

Luckily, I got my money back in the end, but only after making several long-distance phone calls to the States (generally waiting for over 10 minutes in the waiting-loop), writing three or four vehement e-mails, and waiting for another 6 months during which my account was frozen.

My conclusion: I am sure as hell never ever to do business via Paypal again…
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
There is certainly a lot of exaggeration out there, but... Nov 5, 2004

Russell Gillis wrote:

I think people are too quick to trash them without trying them first.

...the class action suits and investigations into their business practices are real.

I'd rather learn from the misfortune of others than risk my assets being frozen.

If you actually read the fine print on the Paypal terms and conditions you would be nuts to work with them, as you essentially waive all consumer protection in terms of credit card fraud and give them permission to seize your account if there is any "suspicious" (deemed so by them, of course) activity on the account...

Thanks, but no thanks!! The day I really need to accept credit card payments over the Internet, I will spend the money to put a secure payment interface on my Web site. For now, checks and bank transfers are just fine!

Sara

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Thank you all! Nov 5, 2004

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:43:23 -0700

Dear Daniele Martoglio,
Congratulations! You've just created a PayPal account.

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 07:52:15 -0800

We are sorry that you have decided to close your PayPal account. With millions of members in dozens of countries across the
globe, PayPal is continually improving and expanding its award-
winning services.

Thank you all, i just escaped far from them, after reading this thread! I'm italian, living in Poland, and i have a bank account in Italy. So i tried to ask them if i can HAVE OR NOT a paypal account.

I received ABSURDAL answer in italian, I suppose semi-automatical, where they wrote that "if i CONNECT to my account using a poland-based computer, my account COULD BE limited"

"COULD"? And they answer about "where is the computer" i asked other things.. Anyway word "COULD", "MAY BE", i can accept in a love story, not in BUSINESS! In business i accept "YOU CAN/YOU CANNOT"...

Really very very strage way to work.. I escaped before was too late..

Daniele

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
For someone in the UK Nov 5, 2004

paypal is a reasonable option for receiving small payments from North America, in not too large a volume. Personally I would use other more tried and tested methods for medium or large payments (bank transfers being the best option, obviously).
Some other sensible precautions are - don't allow a substantial balance to accumulate, withdraw funds promptly or as soon as it is worth it.

Check their site carefully in advance (this can be difficult, because the information is often
... See more
paypal is a reasonable option for receiving small payments from North America, in not too large a volume. Personally I would use other more tried and tested methods for medium or large payments (bank transfers being the best option, obviously).
Some other sensible precautions are - don't allow a substantial balance to accumulate, withdraw funds promptly or as soon as it is worth it.

Check their site carefully in advance (this can be difficult, because the information is often badly arranged) to see if it is possible to open an account in a given country, and whether it's possible to withdraw a balance, how, and how much it will or won't cost.
Another problem which can come up is how the payment is made - which can cost the receiver different amounts, and oblige the receiver to change from a 'private' to a 'business' account, which they may or may not want, so it can be fiddly.
Of course, if someone in the UK would prefer to accept a check/cheque for a small payment from North America, that's another option, but there can be disadvantages there too.
It's reasonable to fix during negotiation and specify in the invoice, the payment methods which will be used, for a particular job, type of job or customer.

I sympathize with anyone who has had problems, and I don't necessarily think it's a perfect organization, but paypal can have its uses for some people in some situations - used carefully.

[Edited at 2004-11-13 07:49]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal freezing accounts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »