Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2016

Hello,
Has anyone ever bid on any US government contracts for translating or interpreting?
The process seems quite complicated, from getting vetted to be a vendor to finding the bids themselves - any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance!

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 08:08
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
workaround Jan 5, 2016

Instead of trying to access government work directly, you should approach vendors who do govt jobs only like SCHREIBER TRANSLATIONS, Lionbridge etc. But the prerequisites are a) be a US citizen, b) jump through the hoops: I mean you have to get security clearance, if the vendor wants c)background check- mandatory for any vendor.
I am nether a) or b) so I don't bother them!!!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 09:08
Romanian to English
+ ...
correct Jan 5, 2016

Srini is right! I work with several agencies that have US govt. contracts for both interpreting and translation. As an individual it is difficult to get a contract.

If you need more info, you can contact me directly.

Best,
Lee

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:08
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bad advice Jan 5, 2016

Srini Venkataraman wrote:

Instead of trying to access government work directly, you should approach vendors who do govt jobs only like SCHREIBER TRANSLATIONS, Lionbridge etc. But the prerequisites are a) be a US citizen, b) jump through the hoops: I mean you have to get security clearance, if the vendor wants c)background check- mandatory for any vendor.
I am nether a) or b) so I don't bother them!!!

1) If you approach vendors who do government jobs you lose one of the main advantages (fairly high rates paid by the US government for translation jobs), and are paid at the same low rates that such agencies usually try to impose on translators.

2) For many (though not all) translation jobs there is no requirement of being a US citizen (but it is true that one needs to be a permanent US resident).

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 08:08
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
further info, pl Jan 6, 2016

I am a permanent resident since 2008, but have been told that citizenship is a must. Are there any agencies you are aware of that I can try( without need for security clearance).
I would prefer to do interpretation work.
My point was getting a govt contract is difficult.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 09:08
Romanian to English
+ ...
In the legal field (trans. + interpr.) Jan 6, 2016

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

1) If you approach vendors who do government jobs you lose one of the main advantages (fairly high rates paid by the US government for translation jobs), and are paid at the same low rates that such agencies usually try to impose on translators.

2) For many (though not all) translation jobs there is no requirement of being a US citizen (but it is true that one needs to be a permanent US resident).

For the better paying translation and interpreting jobs, there is a requirement to be permanent resident or US citizen + security clearance. The agencies I work with(6), pay between $375-450 for interpretation + travel accommodation and $ .05/.15 for review/translation.

As an individual contractor it is difficult to obtain, let's say, an extradition package from the DOJ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US government contracts?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »