דפים בנושא:   < [1 2]
Does anyone get more work from their target language market than from their source language market?
מפרסם התגובה: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lyrics Jul 18

B&B FinTrans wrote:
Yes, the death metal world owes a lot to Sweden.

Not my bag at all, death metal, but I've always loved Danish rock band D-A-D's lyrics. They really played with the English language. Much more so than their bozo US hair-metal counterparts did (fire/desire/higher...). Even to the point of making up words. Which I think is impressive. I couldn't do it in Swedish.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
טורקיה
Local time: 02:22
חבר
מאנגלית לטורקית
Them were the days.. Jul 18

B&B FinTrans wrote:
Yes, the death metal world owes a lot to Sweden. 35 years ago, ENTOMBED were one of the most addictive gateway drugs.
As a guitarist, I was blown away by their guitar sound and I remember the day I finally got my first (ridiculously expensive) Boss HM-2 pedal.
Later, without the help of the internet, I puzzled (for too long) over the riffs and leads of AT THE GATES.
What a time to be alive to see these and other death metal bands live in their prime!

[Edited at 2024-07-18 13:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-07-18 13:43 GMT]

I bought Left Hand Path (RIP LG Petrov) in 1993 at Oxford (while in an English summer school). It was the first real/original cassette tape I'd ever bought (till then all I had were pirate, bootleg tapes or shitty Turkish knock off tapes that passed for 'original cassettes'), the sleeve was fantastic... I could've bought the CD by paying 3 or 4 pound extra (how I wish I had.. who the fuck listens to tapes anymore?)
I remember spending all my money on Motörhead CDs in the HMV, and then selling them to Polish kids at half price a week or so later (as I'd run out of money) to buy cigarettes... no wonder I ended up being a translator.. no head for business...
Of that scene, my favorites, apart from Entombed, were Tiamat and Unleashed.

Christopher Schröder
B&B FinTrans
Matthias Brombach

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I’ve never actually been to Oxford Jul 18

Baran Keki wrote:
at Oxford (while in an English summer school)

I’m always having to explain the difference between in and at to my Scandi customers, but I think you knew exactly what you were doing there😂😂

In 1993 I bought my first CD player with the money from my first big translation job. Until then I was still buying a mixture of cassettes and LPs to play on my 80s Amstrad music centre with graphic equaliser and smoked glass door. I only chucked all my old tapes and records two years ago. Along with all the CDs… People love to slag off Spotify but I love it.

Baran Keki

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
מצרפתית לאנגלית
Ah, the glory that is No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims Jul 18

Christopher Schröder wrote:
Danish rock band D-A-D's lyrics.

An album I trust my neighbours at the time grew to love as much I did. Lord knows I played it for them often enough.

When I started, not knowing any better, I had guessed some of my Fr-Eng work would come from UK-based clients being sent/getting hold of Fr docs and needing to know the contents.
But no. Most of the work has been from Fr clients in France and francophones in Belgium (one or 2 from Switzerland), directly or through agencies (themselves almost all in France too).
I know some of it has been intended for readers in the anglosphere, because I've been told as much, but it seems the convention is to get it translated at source (as it were), not send the anglos foreign material and get them to procure a translation as they see fit.

Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
טורקיה
Local time: 02:22
חבר
מאנגלית לטורקית
Foreigners singing in English 08:19

Charlie Bavington wrote:
An album I trust my neighbours at the time grew to love as much I did. Lord knows I played it for them often enough.

I've never heard of that band. The only Danish band I knew around that time (other than King Diamond/Mercyful Fate) was White Lion, which I believed was an American band.
This is something I've always wondered: how do you, native English speakers, feel about 'foreign bands' singing in English? I've never heard a foreigner sing in Turkish, so I wouldn't know the feeling. I'd be hard pressed to spot the difference between a Swede, Dutch, English, Australian, German singing in English. I wouldn't be able to catch the lyrics, much less distinguish their accents.
It must be strange to hear a foreigner sing in your tongue. Do you mostly focus on the music, and less on singing? Does weird lyrics delivered in odd, strange accents put you off?

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
גרמניה
Local time: 01:22
חבר (2007)
מהולנדית לגרמנית
+ ...
Germans... 08:57

Baran Keki wrote:
I've never heard a foreigner sing in Turkish, so I wouldn't know the feeling. I'd be hard pressed to spot the difference between a Swede, Dutch, English, Australian, German singing in English. I wouldn't be able to catch the lyrics, much less distinguish their accents.
It must be strange to hear a foreigner sing in your tongue. Do you mostly focus on the music, and less on singing? Does weird lyrics delivered in odd, strange accents put you off?

...are able to translate everything into every language, because that's what a translator is supposed to do, or not? For instance retired German officers of the Luftwaffe ("pilots"): Whenever they enter the translation market, they will be hired instantly on the spot, by German agencies, preferably. Because, you surely know, pilots, mumbling all the time something in English into their microfones, that's why they must be perfect into-English translators!
And then all the other languages, even into Turkish, Baran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQNhBjGbk8

Perfect, isn't it?

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accents 10:43

Baran Keki wrote:
. I'd be hard pressed to spot the difference between a Swede, Dutch, English, Australian, German singing in English. I wouldn't be able to catch the lyrics, much less distinguish their accents.

I guess it’s the same as foreigners talking. Some have stronger accents than others. Some expats lose their accent, some don’t.

Doro Pesch sounds horrendously German but I wouldn’t want to know what she was singing about anyway. ABBA get their Ss wrong, but they probably don’t sound as foreign to someone who doesn’t know Swedish. But most get away with it by singing in an American accent, which is enough to fool most Brits, certainly me. You’d have to ask an American what they think I guess.

PS No fuel was a great album. If you like that kind of thing. Six-hole golf courses and all that.

Matthias Brombach
Baran Keki

דפים בנושא:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone get more work from their target language market than from their source language market?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »