Flushing your hard-earned money down the drain?
Tópico cartaz: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
Membro (2003)
alemão para inglês
Mar 20, 2003

Recently, I have seen the following advertisement for:

CEO Mr. Serhiy Onoshko
TranslationDirectory.com - provider of translator employment services.
Check out The World's Largest Database of Translation Agencies
featuring
5500+ addresses at: http://www.TranslationDirectory.com

Has anyone purchased this list? Is it effective? It does seem to
... See more

CEO Mr. Serhiy Onoshko
featuring

Has anyone purchased this list? Is it effective? It does seem to be much larger than Transmail. Are the agencies screened? Any input appreciated about your experience.

[ This Message was edited by: ronjon on 2003-03-20 14:32]

[Edited at 2004-07-24 17:23]

[Edited at 2004-07-26 15:19]
Collapse

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Bélgica
Local time: 17:17
Membro
inglês para francês
+ ...
No - be careful Mar 20, 2003

I have also seen this advertisement and I have asked a sample as they propose to send.

The sample was not very interesting because we have already these agencies on Proz and other translators\'group.

So be careful with this. It seems to me that many agencies come from the far east whare the prices are so low.

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lituânia
Local time: 18:17
Membro (2010)
inglês para russo
+ ...
You can read another discussion concerning TranslationDirectory.com Mar 20, 2003

Click HERE to read.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Serhiy Onoshko is a registered Proz member Mar 20, 2003

You may find him through \"Proz&Agencies\" and might want to contact him directly. Search for \"onoshko\".

HTH

Steffen

Transflux (X)
Transflux (X)
francês para inglês
+ ...
Don't buy lists! Mar 20, 2003

Hi there

My advice is don\'t buy lists. You can find all the information you want for free with a little initiative. In any case the vast majority of the addresses will be useless as no doubt you will only want to target certain countries.

Best wishes

Paul

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Espanha
Local time: 16:17
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
I wouldn't go for it Mar 21, 2003

As my colleagues have said, you can find the info by yourself, for free. Proz has a directory, TranslatorsCafe.com has one too, so does Foreignword.com and I am sure there must be many others.

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 16:17
Membro (2003)
francês para inglês
+ ...
DIY Apr 11, 2003

OK, it eats into your free time, but rather than pay for costly lists, just do your own research on the net. After a weekend of doing just that myself, I now have a database of around 700 agencies. Crucially, these agencies are all relevant for my language pairs and payment rate/geographical requirements. I\'ll just carry on building up the database whenever I get a free moment.

Nothing libellous in this post I hope

Ron Stelter
Membro (2003)
alemão para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
I finally purchased the list myself Jul 24, 2004

After debating it with myself for a long time, I finally purchased the list (now expanded to 6500 agencies) and the mailing service (for over 600 dollars! The price seems to go up 30% every month for one product or another on his list of offerings)

To be honest, I was very dissatisfied. A large number of them were returned. It seems that the agencies have eventually set up all kinds of spam detection software to deal with his mailings. One also wonders whether, for every returned e
... See more
After debating it with myself for a long time, I finally purchased the list (now expanded to 6500 agencies) and the mailing service (for over 600 dollars! The price seems to go up 30% every month for one product or another on his list of offerings)

To be honest, I was very dissatisfied. A large number of them were returned. It seems that the agencies have eventually set up all kinds of spam detection software to deal with his mailings. One also wonders whether, for every returned e-mail, there aren't 10 that are just automatically deleted without being returned.

Also, I had already known that agencies are reluctant to accept e-mail attachments from unknown people. I knew it would be deleted immediately if sent in that manner. So I pasted my resume into my cover letter. But a number of people wrote me saying they don't open attachments. I didn't even think there was an attachment. One seriously wonders how many people just automatically deleted such an e-mail attachment with an empty body. (I know I do because of the threat of viruses.) So Serhiy puts it into unformatted text at this late juncture as he claims it's a problem of recipients with substandard systems. So it seems that it was never been done the way I wanted.

I also had specifically asked that he not use the bcc; function for obvious reasons. But I know I received a number of e-mails back where the original recipient and final recipient were completely different-where I have to believe he just ignored my request to complete the e-mail in 2 days instead of the 5-7 days he said it would take.

Several times, I thought about just asking him to stop. But I really hoped that it would help my business, becoming more disillusioned by each passing hour. I asked for a refund and have sent back his list without having downloaded it. One wonders whether I will ever see any money.

He says that I am the first unhappy customer-which I seriously doubt. Does anyone else have any feedback-negative or positive?

I wasn't happy. Just do your own e-mailing.

Ron Stelter

Ron Stelter wrote:

CEO Mr. Serhiy Onoshko
featuring

Has anyone purchased this list? Is it effective? It does seem to be much larger than Transmail. Are the agencies screened? Any input appreciated about your experience.

[Edited at 2004-07-25 23:55]

[Edited at 2004-07-25 23:57]

[Edited at 2004-07-25 23:59]
Collapse

Ron Stelter
Membro (2003)
alemão para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Jul 24, 2004

[Edited at 2004-07-26 15:49]

Ron Stelter
Membro (2003)
alemão para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Don't expect a refund, either Jul 26, 2004

He claims to give a full refund if you are unhappy (right from his advertisement/newsletter). In reality, he hassles you and there is no "cheerful refund." Big surprise there. He claimed he wanted me to notarize stuff to snail mail him (which he conveniently hadn't prepared yet, even though he had previously said they were ready immediately). Notarize? Please. He's just stalling and stalling and stalling. So my money is just flushed down the toilet...

I even got a message from
... See more
He claims to give a full refund if you are unhappy (right from his advertisement/newsletter). In reality, he hassles you and there is no "cheerful refund." Big surprise there. He claimed he wanted me to notarize stuff to snail mail him (which he conveniently hadn't prepared yet, even though he had previously said they were ready immediately). Notarize? Please. He's just stalling and stalling and stalling. So my money is just flushed down the toilet...

I even got a message from an acquiantance this morning who received a COMPLETELY EMPTY E-MAIL MESSAGE. He isn't even a translation agency owner!!! How many hundreds more were sent like that???

Oh, yes, this service was well worth SIX HUNDRED TWENTY dollars.

Yeah, right...

If you look under Nikita's link, it shows where he posted a forum posting on another site to "selflessly" provide all his fellow translators with a link to a good site where you could get translation jobs he just happened to have found. Well, hell's bells, it turns out it is HIS own site (which he certainly fails to mention) and, by the way, the product costs money-a lot of money. How sleazy. Or where he posted jobs on Proz, having no jobs whatsoever but just trying to promote his mailing list as far as one can ascertain. I guess I should have known better. I guess I learned a life lesson about avoiding people engaging in shady business practices-for 620 dollars.

Ron Stelter wrote:

I know he had even posted translation jobs where he was just trying to advertise his database to buy. I suppose I should have learned something from that.

Ron Stelter wrote:

After debating it with myself for a long time, I finally purchased the list and the mailing service (for over 600 dollars! The price seems to go up 30% every month for one product or another on his list of offerings)

To be honest, I was very dissatisfied. A large number of them were returned. It seems that the agencies have eventually set up all kinds of spam detection software to deal with his mailings. One also wonders whether, for every returned e-mail, there aren't 10 that are just automatically deleted without being returned.

Also, I know that agencies are reluctant to accept e-mail attachments from unknown people. I knew it would be deleted immediately if sent in that manner. So I pasted my resume into my cover letter. But a number of people wrote me saying they don't open attachments. I didn't even think there was an attachment. One seriously wonders how many people just automatically deleted such an e-mail attachment with an empty body. (I know I do because of the threat of viruses.) So Serhiy puts it into unformatted text at this late juncture as he claims it's a problem of recipients with substandard systems. So it seems that it was never been done the way I wanted.

I also had specifically asked that he not use the bcc; function for obvious reasons. But I know I received a number of e-mails back where the original recipient and final recipient were completely different-where I have to believe he just ignored my request to complete the e-mail in 2 days instead of the originally anticipated 7 days.

Several times, I thought about just asking him to stop. But I really hoped that it would help my business, becoming more disillusioned by each passing hour. I asked for a refund and have sent back his list without having downloaded it. One wonders whether I will ever see any money.

He says that I am the first unhappy customer-which I seriously doubt. Does anyone else have any feedback-negative or positive?

I wasn't happy. Just do your own e-mailing.

Ron Stelter

Ron Stelter wrote:

CEO Mr. Serhiy Onoshko
featuring

[Edited at 2004-07-26 15:50]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Bélgica
Membro
inglês para holandês
+ ...
Will close this thread now Jul 26, 2004

This short message to inform you that I'll be closing this thread shortly.
Certain matters need to be discussed privately, not in public.

Please note that the database mentioned has got nothing to do with 'a translation agency' an sich, and that members purchasing this database are not allowed to enter a BB rating on these grounds, as no translations were delivered.

We are dealing with an entirely different type of transaction, the purchase of a database.
... See more
This short message to inform you that I'll be closing this thread shortly.
Certain matters need to be discussed privately, not in public.

Please note that the database mentioned has got nothing to do with 'a translation agency' an sich, and that members purchasing this database are not allowed to enter a BB rating on these grounds, as no translations were delivered.

We are dealing with an entirely different type of transaction, the purchase of a database. This is not a Blue Board matter, even if the customer is not happy and not receiving a refund.

Note that said member has been banned from ProZ.com for having repeatedly misused the forum or the Jobs area to advertise
his business and that we now deleted his new profile once more.

[Edited at 2004-07-26 18:46]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flushing your hard-earned money down the drain?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »