Thread poster: David Jessop
Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hosting Jun 23, 2004

See "Hosting" under "My ProZ.com" above. After becoming a platinum member, for only $10/year more that you pay for your personal domain name, you can have a ProZ-hosted web page. The best part is that you will be excellently positioned on many major search engines without any effort on your part (provided that you've included the obvious keywords like "Spanish," "English," "translation" and "translator" etc. on your website). Pretty good deal, isn't it?

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again! Jun 25, 2004

Just another note to say thank you to everyone who responded to my topic. I was astounded by all the responses and how informative they were to me. Thank you especially to those who took a moment to critique my profile. I really appreciate that.

David

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:24
Italian to English
+ ...
Worth it, if you're always on line... and don't rely on job offers Jun 28, 2004

I went Platinum early this year. It has paid for itself, so I don't regret it. But it seems to me (and from reading others' replies to this topic) that you'll only really do well if you have a stunning profile, e.g. by earning lots of KudoZ. And one way to do THAT, regularly, is to ALWAYS be on line, so as to zoom in straightaway and be one of the first to answer questions.

As regards actual job offers, I have come to the conclusion that the jobs offered on Proz.com are not worth i
... See more
I went Platinum early this year. It has paid for itself, so I don't regret it. But it seems to me (and from reading others' replies to this topic) that you'll only really do well if you have a stunning profile, e.g. by earning lots of KudoZ. And one way to do THAT, regularly, is to ALWAYS be on line, so as to zoom in straightaway and be one of the first to answer questions.

As regards actual job offers, I have come to the conclusion that the jobs offered on Proz.com are not worth it at all. The rates of pay offered are absolutely horrendous (at least for my pair, Italian->English). Rates like 4 cents a word!!! I'd make more working in my local McDonald's. If I was depending on these jobs I'd now be dead.

Much better, as others have said in this topic, is to attract interest from quality clients via an amazing profile. Which you have to WORK HARD to build up...

Summary: Platinum was worth it, but I'm not sure I'm going to renew.
Colm
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Definitively yes Jun 29, 2004

Apart fom the blue board & other goodies (which IMHO are *very* important), you should also consider that

1)Platinum member responses come up first - so if you're not a paying member you're likely to get at the end of the list & therefore unlikely to get a job

2) Some jobs are restricted by the agency to Platinum for a specific period. By the time the restriction expires, you are likely to be left out.

3) "Platinum" means for many agencies that you take th
... See more
Apart fom the blue board & other goodies (which IMHO are *very* important), you should also consider that

1)Platinum member responses come up first - so if you're not a paying member you're likely to get at the end of the list & therefore unlikely to get a job

2) Some jobs are restricted by the agency to Platinum for a specific period. By the time the restriction expires, you are likely to be left out.

3) "Platinum" means for many agencies that you take the job seriously, as a profession. With all respect to non-paying members, I've heard somebody from an agency state that he did not look at non-Platinum because these were "amateurs". Which is of course outrageous, but that feeling is out there, no matter how unjust.

4) How often are you going to bid? One of the reasons I went platinum was that paying 1$/bid would cost me more than the platinum membership, even using BrowniZ for this purpose (which I believe you can no longer use).

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I recently looked back at my billing for the last six months or so, and found that an average of 30-40% of my monthly total now comes from clients who originally "found" me on Proz. I can't tell you how much of that comes from being platinum, because I also participate in the Kudoz questions on a regular basis, and have also taken the time to build a fairly complete profile. I can tell you that I just renewed my membership in January (part of the fee paid for with Browniz) and within the next 2 weeks had had enough work from my established "Proz clients" to more than pay for the membership fee.
Cindy

Same for me - I still have a lot of clients from the dates prior to my "internet-based translation service", but as of today around 60% of my costomers come either directly from Proz or originally from that source. I do not know how many are due to the "Platinum", but I think it helps.

Do not think however that the "platinum" only will drive many clients to you - it took me approximately 3-4 months to establish myself at Proz (actually, before becoming Platinum). I suggest you try to test the waters for a couple of months, just to make sure you really want it.

From my personal experience, though Platinum helps, it is also very useful to have a minimum of Kudoz -people DO check your Kudoz to assess a minimum of experience (which the fact of being Platinum doesn't). If your peers have judged you worthy, then agencies will do so, too. I started getting more jobs after passing the 200-300 Kudoz barrier. It was at that time that I also decided to go Platinum.

Oh, and I disagree with ryancolm - I DO get *lots* of jobs through Proz at my usual rates - which are more than twice the rate he is complaining about!

Espero que te ayude. ¡Suerte!

[Edited at 2004-06-29 14:40]
Collapse

Galina Nielsen
Galina Nielsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Russian
+ ...
MAybe it's worth for you - I never got any jobs Jul 3, 2004

Hi!

I was a paying member (=Platinum) for a year.

I have participated in really many quotation rounds - with ZERO success (not a ONE job). I have about 20 years' experience and a lot of references from a number of customers - but there was NOT an agency or a person who'd return to me when I have sent a quote.

Therefore in your case, having (almost) no experience and (almost) no references, and (I presume) not having (or maybe not having all of them) softwar
... See more
Hi!

I was a paying member (=Platinum) for a year.

I have participated in really many quotation rounds - with ZERO success (not a ONE job). I have about 20 years' experience and a lot of references from a number of customers - but there was NOT an agency or a person who'd return to me when I have sent a quote.

Therefore in your case, having (almost) no experience and (almost) no references, and (I presume) not having (or maybe not having all of them) software/CAT tools (they are expensive, too) agencies require, AND when you see how many translate from Spanish into English just ProZ-members taken, I'd spare 120$ and try other possibilities for the start. Maybe, if you charge 1-2 US cent/word, you can succeed - but believe me, I only have the most bitter reminiscences of my membership. You're bound to feel the same, if your ambition is to get customers through the site.
All the other good possibilities of self-educating, talking shop, learning the mechanics of the job are all right. But I do not think you can get more money to live for through this membership.

Med venlig hilsen

Squi (Danish, English, Norwegian, Swedish, German into Russian)
Collapse

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:24
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
It's the only marketing I have ever had to do! Jul 5, 2004

I went Platinum after a couple of years free membership. Platinum status must be adding to my credibility, because I get more enquiries and job offers coming in through Proz now than I can accept. I've ended up switching off the jobs alerts, because I do not have time to look at them, let alone bid for them! Since going Platinum, my income from translation has gone through the roof, so much so that at the start of this year I was able to resign from employment and become a full time freelance. ... See more
I went Platinum after a couple of years free membership. Platinum status must be adding to my credibility, because I get more enquiries and job offers coming in through Proz now than I can accept. I've ended up switching off the jobs alerts, because I do not have time to look at them, let alone bid for them! Since going Platinum, my income from translation has gone through the roof, so much so that at the start of this year I was able to resign from employment and become a full time freelance.

Krys
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Platinum worth it?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »