MA in Translation and Interpretation vs MA in Conference Interpretation
Thread poster: Alison Woods
Alison Woods
Alison Woods

Local time: 14:00
Spanish to English
Jan 22, 2009

I am considering getting my MA in Interpretation in the future, however I am not sure if I should study for a MA in Translation and Interpretation studies or Conference Interpretation. Is one degree more respected than the other? Are there more opportunities with one or the other? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
A try... Jan 22, 2009

You might start learning a second foreign language up to a good level. In Europe A(English)C(Spanish) C(X) is the minimum.
With regard to the degree: the E.U.'s directorate organised a European Master's in Conference Interpreting. The program is the same at all schools, member of EMCI-consortium. It is well regarded. That said, 50% depends upon you and 50% upon the school.
In Conference interpreting, you will get just that : Consecutive, Simultaneous and Chuchotage as well as econom
... See more
You might start learning a second foreign language up to a good level. In Europe A(English)C(Spanish) C(X) is the minimum.
With regard to the degree: the E.U.'s directorate organised a European Master's in Conference Interpreting. The program is the same at all schools, member of EMCI-consortium. It is well regarded. That said, 50% depends upon you and 50% upon the school.
In Conference interpreting, you will get just that : Consecutive, Simultaneous and Chuchotage as well as economics 101 and law at some schools whereas with an MA in Translation and Interpretation, you will get both.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
German to English
+ ...
Is this at MIIS? Jan 23, 2009

I see that you are in the United States. In my opinion it would depend on what you want to do. I attended MIIS and ended up getting just the MA Translation without the interpreting part (although everyone was required to take interpreting the first year) - just didn't like interpreting that much & from the professors' descriptions of conference interpreting jobs decided I was much better suited to translation. It turned out to be the right choice for me.

So, if you think you might
... See more
I see that you are in the United States. In my opinion it would depend on what you want to do. I attended MIIS and ended up getting just the MA Translation without the interpreting part (although everyone was required to take interpreting the first year) - just didn't like interpreting that much & from the professors' descriptions of conference interpreting jobs decided I was much better suited to translation. It turned out to be the right choice for me.

So, if you think you might also want to translate, I would do the MA T&I. If you really want to concentrate on being an interpreter, then I would do the MA CI. But, as Williamson says, you do need a C language for that if we're talking about MIIS. At least that's the way it was in the "olden days" - late 1990s.

[Edited at 2009-01-23 15:22 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in Translation and Interpretation vs MA in Conference Interpretation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »