I would really like to get into the field of interpretation, any tips?
Thread poster: spizzle
spizzle
spizzle
Local time: 17:02
Jun 24, 2009

Hi people
I would really like to get into the field of interpretation ad am wondering if anybody has any tips for me. I am currently living in Spain though would have no problems returning to the UK to study. My mother tongue is English and I speak an excellent level of Spanish (studied for my DELE superiro in Barcelona) and a decent level of Portuguese, I worked as a translator for 18 months and had some experience interpreting which I thoroughly enjoyed and would like to pursue it as a c
... See more
Hi people
I would really like to get into the field of interpretation ad am wondering if anybody has any tips for me. I am currently living in Spain though would have no problems returning to the UK to study. My mother tongue is English and I speak an excellent level of Spanish (studied for my DELE superiro in Barcelona) and a decent level of Portuguese, I worked as a translator for 18 months and had some experience interpreting which I thoroughly enjoyed and would like to pursue it as a career. What would be the best way to go about it? A masters? Are there any other conference qualifications that are recognised? How long would I have to study for? Better to have 2 active languages?
Any advice that you guys could give me would be massively appreciated!
Thanks
Mark

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-01 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 04:02
Chinese to English
DPSI (?) Jun 25, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/120575-dpsi_how_many_of_you_got_it_without_attending_a_course.html

[ You can search for information using Forum Search ]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
EMCI (European Masters in Conference Interpreting) Jun 29, 2009

Hello again

You specifically asked about conference qualifications. This post refers specifically to the EMCI (European Masters in Conference Interpreting):

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/120575-dpsi_how_many_of_you_got_it_without_attending_a_course.html#993518

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
A very general topic heading IMO Jun 30, 2009

Hello again Mark

I am not sure how well you know your way around this site. There are a number of ProZ forums which might perhaps be relevant. (You could also scan the recent topics in the Interpreting Forum - there have been a few on the DPSI/EMCI.) Plus, I suggest have a look at Forum Rule 2.2 re topic headings. This might help to ge
... See more
Hello again Mark

I am not sure how well you know your way around this site. There are a number of ProZ forums which might perhaps be relevant. (You could also scan the recent topics in the Interpreting Forum - there have been a few on the DPSI/EMCI.) Plus, I suggest have a look at Forum Rule 2.2 re topic headings. This might help to get you more responses from the peers. http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/2#2

Anyhow, let us know how you go.

Best wishes
Lesley

[Edited at 2009-07-01 02:30 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I would really like to get into the field of interpretation, any tips?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »