corinne bb (X)
corinne bb (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2010

Dear all interpreters,
I would like to start a study group in Brussels for anybody that is interested in preparing for SCIC freelance tests. I thought that we could meet once a week or once every two weeks and give each other speeches, give feedback on sim exercises... Would anybody be interested? I am English A but am working on getting a French B so I would be comfortable giving speeche
... See more
Dear all interpreters,
I would like to start a study group in Brussels for anybody that is interested in preparing for SCIC freelance tests. I thought that we could meet once a week or once every two weeks and give each other speeches, give feedback on sim exercises... Would anybody be interested? I am English A but am working on getting a French B so I would be comfortable giving speeches in English and French.
My e-mail is [email protected]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dummy booth? Sep 10, 2010

If you're in Brussels you could probably sneak in and do dummy booth practice at actual meetings and practice in empty rooms with proper equipment. Talk to the head of your booth.
You certainly have the opportunity to do dummy booth practice in the week or weeks before your test, but if you're in Brussels anyway, you can probably con the boss into getting you and one or two other candidates access one day a week for a couple of months.

BTW posting your email like that on a pub
... See more
If you're in Brussels you could probably sneak in and do dummy booth practice at actual meetings and practice in empty rooms with proper equipment. Talk to the head of your booth.
You certainly have the opportunity to do dummy booth practice in the week or weeks before your test, but if you're in Brussels anyway, you can probably con the boss into getting you and one or two other candidates access one day a week for a couple of months.

BTW posting your email like that on a public site is an awful idea unless you like receiving lots of spam. At least write something like cbou zero three at yahoo dot com.
Collapse

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sneaking in Sep 10, 2010

I don't think it's possible for anyone to sneak into actual meetings. Having passed the test, I can say that there is something that you can do though. Go to the EP website, they have a live stream and archives of plenary sessions and committee meetings (they may change your mind, maybe you won't want to do it after all). Select the OR (original language) and interpret whatever language you can. Also, there is a speech repositary. I am not sure if I can disclose the access info, but I know for s... See more
I don't think it's possible for anyone to sneak into actual meetings. Having passed the test, I can say that there is something that you can do though. Go to the EP website, they have a live stream and archives of plenary sessions and committee meetings (they may change your mind, maybe you won't want to do it after all). Select the OR (original language) and interpret whatever language you can. Also, there is a speech repositary. I am not sure if I can disclose the access info, but I know for sure that universities that have interpreter programmes have access to it. You should contact one of them and ask. Also, you may want to contact SCIC at Facebook, they have a profile and may well be able to give you access to the speech repository.
I can also say that the speeches at SCIC tests usually are pretty basic, try to concentrate more on your native language, the way you speak, the pronunciation etc.
Collapse

Anton Klevansky
Anton Klevansky  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Russian
+ ...
Dummy booth Sep 11, 2010

I am not sure about Brussels (you may write to DGI directly and ask them), but I think it is possible to do dummy booth exercises in the European Court, in Luxembourg. They have also some training programs (you can find some information here, it's just an example: http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/Jo2_7008/).
As mjbjosh suggested, it would be a good idea to practice some speeches on the
... See more
I am not sure about Brussels (you may write to DGI directly and ask them), but I think it is possible to do dummy booth exercises in the European Court, in Luxembourg. They have also some training programs (you can find some information here, it's just an example: http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/Jo2_7008/).
As mjbjosh suggested, it would be a good idea to practice some speeches on the EP site. You'll probably also have access to SCIC Speech Repository during several weeks before your test, these speeches are excellent for individual training.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Access Sep 11, 2010

mjbjosh wrote:

I don't think it's possible for anyone to sneak into actual meetings.

Depends on your definition of sneaking in. My post says "Talk to the head of your booth".

People are given entry badges for the week or two before their freelance test as a matter of course. It wouldn't take too much to give somebody a badge for a longer period if he's local and wants to practice... If the head of the booth wants to, I'm sure he can arrange it quite easily. Once you have access to the buildings, it's just a matter of asking the chef d'equipe to let you use an empty booth.

Given the massive shortage of acceptable English interpreters, I would expect the staff at the English booth to be supportive of all candidates, so this is not that far-fetched.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
Well Sep 24, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:
Depends on your definition of sneaking in. My post says "Talk to the head of your booth".

I was and I still am perfectly aware of it. I didn't try to start an altercation, I just wanted to put in my two cents. It's just that I'm sceptical about the willingness of the heads of booth to give the green light to anyone who wants access to the EU buildings just because they are or are willing to become interpreters. They have perfectly valid reasons to not do so and I am positively sure they have to comply with existing security requirements.

Once you have access to the buildings, it's just a matter of asking the chef d'equipe to let you use an empty booth.

Not sure about it as well. The chef d'equipe has many more important things to care about, lest not forget, s/he also has to do her/his fair share in the booth, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting a study group in Brussels to prepare for SCIC freelance test

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »