Do you need to be a licensed/certified interpreter to interpret for citizenship interview in CA?
Thread poster: Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 7, 2013

Hi fellow interpreters:

I have an upcoming assignment to interpret for an Iraqi lady who is taking the citizenship test in California soon. Do I need to be certified to be able to do so?

Anyone has any experience in this area?

Your feedback and help are much appreciated!

Thank you,
Haytham Boles
Arabic/Chaldean Interpreter/Translator

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 15:01
Romanian to English
+ ...
a suggestion Feb 7, 2013

get in touch with the DHS/INS in CA and ask them if they accept you. Everything else is just an assumption.
Good luck !

Maria Baquero
Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think so. Feb 8, 2013

I live in Georgia and have taken interpretation assignments for immigration purposes, once immigrants receive an appointment letter to be interviewed by US immigration officials to obtain legal residency, whether it is conditional or permanent. You don’t need to be certified to do that (at least in GA you don’t). I have done it for several years without any problem. At the end of the meeting they ask for your picture ID to make a copy for the case file. Now, you mention that your case is f... See more
I live in Georgia and have taken interpretation assignments for immigration purposes, once immigrants receive an appointment letter to be interviewed by US immigration officials to obtain legal residency, whether it is conditional or permanent. You don’t need to be certified to do that (at least in GA you don’t). I have done it for several years without any problem. At the end of the meeting they ask for your picture ID to make a copy for the case file. Now, you mention that your case is for the citizenship test. As far as I know, one of the requirements to become a US citizen is to speak English. I haven’t heard anyone requesting an interpreter for the citizenship test, when you have to answer questions individually. Are you sure it is for the citizenship test and not for a regular immigration appointment to obtain legal residency?Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Most likely no, but you better check with the local office. Feb 8, 2013

Only if the lady is over 60, or if she has any serious learning disabilities certified by an immigration doctor, will they allow anybody to interpret for her. Otherwise, she has to speak English. You can check the age -- it may be 59.

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your valuable feedback is much appreciated! Feb 10, 2013

Maria Baquero wrote:

I live in Georgia and have taken interpretation assignments for immigration purposes, once immigrants receive an appointment letter to be interviewed by US immigration officials to obtain legal residency, whether it is conditional or permanent. You don’t need to be certified to do that (at least in GA you don’t). I have done it for several years without any problem. At the end of the meeting they ask for your picture ID to make a copy for the case file. Now, you mention that your case is for the citizenship test. As far as I know, one of the requirements to become a US citizen is to speak English. I haven’t heard anyone requesting an interpreter for the citizenship test, when you have to answer questions individually. Are you sure it is for the citizenship test and not for a regular immigration appointment to obtain legal residency?

Hi Maria,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on the topic. I appreciate your help!

Yes, it is for the citizenship test. The lady has health and learning problems.

Best regards,
Haytham Boles

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

lee roth wrote:

get in touch with the DHS/INS in CA and ask them if they accept you. Everything else is just an assumption.
Good luck !

Hello Lee,

Thank you for your valuable comment!

Kind regards,
Haytham Boles

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

LilianBoland wrote:

Only if the lady is over 60, or if she has any serious learning disabilities certified by an immigration doctor, will they allow anybody to interpret for her. Otherwise, she has to speak English. You can check the age -- it may be 59.

Hi Lilian,

Thank you so much Lilian!

Best wishes,
Haytham

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you need to be a licensed/certified interpreter to interpret for citizenship interview in CA?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »