Do you need to be a licensed/certified interpreter to interpret for citizenship interview in CA?
מפרסם התגובה: Haytham Boles

Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
Local time: 17:44
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לערבית
+ ...
Feb 7, 2013

Hi fellow interpreters:

I have an upcoming assignment to interpret for an Iraqi lady who is taking the citizenship test in California soon. Do I need to be certified to be able to do so?

Anyone has any experience in this area?

Your feedback and help are much appreciated!

Thank you,
Haytham Boles
Arabic/Chaldean Interpreter/Translator

Liviu-Lee Roth
ארצות הברית
Local time: 20:44
מרומנית לאנגלית
+ ...
a suggestion Feb 7, 2013

get in touch with the DHS/INS in CA and ask them if they accept you. Everything else is just an assumption.
Good luck !

Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
I don't think so. Feb 8, 2013

I live in Georgia and have taken interpretation assignments for immigration purposes, once immigrants receive an appointment letter to be interviewed by US immigration officials to obtain legal residency, whether it is conditional or permanent. You don’t need to be certified to do that (at least in GA you don’t). I have done it for several years without any problem. At the end of the meeting they ask for your picture ID to make a copy for the case file. Now, you mention that your case is f... See more
I live in Georgia and have taken interpretation assignments for immigration purposes, once immigrants receive an appointment letter to be interviewed by US immigration officials to obtain legal residency, whether it is conditional or permanent. You don’t need to be certified to do that (at least in GA you don’t). I have done it for several years without any problem. At the end of the meeting they ask for your picture ID to make a copy for the case file. Now, you mention that your case is for the citizenship test. As far as I know, one of the requirements to become a US citizen is to speak English. I haven’t heard anyone requesting an interpreter for the citizenship test, when you have to answer questions individually. Are you sure it is for the citizenship test and not for a regular immigration appointment to obtain legal residency?Collapse

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
מרוסית לאנגלית
+ ...
Most likely no, but you better check with the local office. Feb 8, 2013

Only if the lady is over 60, or if she has any serious learning disabilities certified by an immigration doctor, will they allow anybody to interpret for her. Otherwise, she has to speak English. You can check the age -- it may be 59.

ארצות הברית
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לערבית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your valuable feedback is much appreciated! Feb 10, 2013

Maria Baquero wrote:

I live in Georgia and have taken interpretation assignments for immigration purposes, once immigrants receive an appointment letter to be interviewed by US immigration officials to obtain legal residency, whether it is conditional or permanent. You don’t need to be certified to do that (at least in GA you don’t). I have done it for several years without any problem. At the end of the meeting they ask for your picture ID to make a copy for the case file. Now, you mention that your case is for the citizenship test. As far as I know, one of the requirements to become a US citizen is to speak English. I haven’t heard anyone requesting an interpreter for the citizenship test, when you have to answer questions individually. Are you sure it is for the citizenship test and not for a regular immigration appointment to obtain legal residency?

Hi Maria,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on the topic. I appreciate your help!

Yes, it is for the citizenship test. The lady has health and learning problems.

Best regards,
Haytham Boles

ארצות הברית
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לערבית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

lee roth wrote:

get in touch with the DHS/INS in CA and ask them if they accept you. Everything else is just an assumption.
Good luck !

Hello Lee,

Thank you for your valuable comment!

Kind regards,
Haytham Boles

ארצות הברית
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לערבית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

LilianBoland wrote:

Only if the lady is over 60, or if she has any serious learning disabilities certified by an immigration doctor, will they allow anybody to interpret for her. Otherwise, she has to speak English. You can check the age -- it may be 59.

Hi Lilian,

Thank you so much Lilian!

Best wishes,
Haytham

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you need to be a licensed/certified interpreter to interpret for citizenship interview in CA?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

ProZ.com Headquarters
235 Harrison Street Mail Drop #22
Syracuse, NY 13202
USA
+1-315-463-7323
ProZ.com Argentina
Calle 14 nro. 622 1/2 entre 44 y 45
La Plata (B1900AND), Buenos Aires
Argentina
+54-221-425-1266
ProZ.com Ukraine
6 Karazina St.
Kharkiv, 61002
Ukraine
+380 57 7281624
מתרגמים אלו מתאמים את תרגום ProZ.com ל-עברית

Team Coordinators: Addie Ney
נא שים לב שלא כל האתר תורגם. לוקליזציית האתר היא תהליך המתבצע בכמה שלבים, כאשר תחילה מתורגמים האזורים הפעילים ביותר שבאתר. אם אתה מוצא שגיאה בתרגום של חלק כלשהו באתר שכבר תורגם, נא עדכן את אחד ממתאמי הלוקליזציה שלעיל.
לקבלת מידע אודות האופן שבו באפשרותך לסייע לתהליך הלוקליזציה של האתר, אנא לחץ כאן.

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • חיפוש מונח
  • עבודות
  • פורומים
  • Multiple search