Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Are these rates acceptable?
Thread poster: Mira66
Mira66
Mira66
Local time: 11:49
Persian (Farsi) to English
Feb 6, 2014

I am a (new) DPSI holder,and recently received these rates from an agency,do you thing these rates are acceptable?
if not what rates would you consider acceptable in current UK market?

-face to face interpreting : £30 for the first hour. Minimum charges are for 1 hour.
£10 for any subsequent hour (or part thereof)

-telephone interpreting : £15 per hour. Minimum charges are for 15 minutes i.e. £3.75.

-translation : £50 per thousand Englis
... See more
I am a (new) DPSI holder,and recently received these rates from an agency,do you thing these rates are acceptable?
if not what rates would you consider acceptable in current UK market?

-face to face interpreting : £30 for the first hour. Minimum charges are for 1 hour.
£10 for any subsequent hour (or part thereof)

-telephone interpreting : £15 per hour. Minimum charges are for 15 minutes i.e. £3.75.

-translation : £50 per thousand English words pro rata. Minimum charges £12.50 to cover first 250 words.

-Transport: 25p per mile for mileage or Public Transport expenses

(*)If either party (we or you) cancel within 24 hours of the start time of the job this will be subject to a £30 cancellation fee.

(*)Arriving late will result in up to 50% deduction of your payment.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:49
German to Swedish
+ ...
Haha! Feb 6, 2014

Discounting social contributions, £15 per hour is about £12 wage.
I made more than that doing physical-labour type jobs 25 years ago.

£10 per hour discounting social contributions cannot be much more than the £6.31 minimum wage in Britain.
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

[Bearbeitet am 2014-02-06 18:36 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
$17 an hour putting up dry wall when I was 16 Feb 6, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

Discounting social contributions, that's about a £12 wage.

I wouldn't accept those rate. Like Joakim said, there are other jobs that pay better.

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
And Feb 6, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

$17 an hour putting up dry wall when I was 16

And there was the added benefit of not feeling used by profiteers. Or not that obviously, anyway.

Mira66
Mira66
TOPIC STARTER
Rates Feb 6, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

Discounting social contributions, £15 per hour is about £12 wage.

£10 per hour discounting social contributions cannot be much more than the £6.31 minimum wage in Britain.
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

[Bearbeitet am 2014-02-06 18:36 GMT]

I thought these rates are what I will get (tax / insurance already deducted)..
Ofcourse 10 years ago situation was so much different (better) in any profession,but I want to know how far off these rates are for todays standard ,considering that UK government is unwilling to pay decent rates to interpreters and these agencies are taking most of the money,but what can you do.

Mira66
Mira66
TOPIC STARTER
Rates Feb 6, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Joakim Braun wrote:

Discounting social contributions, that's about a £12 wage.

I wouldn't accept those rate. Like Joakim said, there are other jobs that pay better.

Do you think £30 per hour for face to face is also below average?
What is the acceptable rate for telephone / face to face interpreting for a DPSI holder?

[Edited at 2014-02-07 06:19 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In the US they would be totally Feb 6, 2014

unacceptable. 15 Euro an hour sounds like a joke.

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Reality Feb 6, 2014

If we are talking public service interpreting then rates are generally low.
I am speaking from my perspective, i.e. Polish language interpreter, where supply hugely outstrips demand, it might be different in your language.

To my knowledge, the main agencies pay around £15 per hour for telephone interpreting, one big one pays £12.60 per hour. You are only being paid for the minutes you work, needless to say. <
... See more
I am speaking from my perspective, i.e. Polish language interpreter, where supply hugely outstrips demand, it might be different in your language.

To my knowledge, the main agencies pay around £15 per hour for telephone interpreting, one big one pays £12.60 per hour. You are only being paid for the minutes you work, needless to say.

F2F public service interpreting oscillates around £20-25 per hour. £30 is good.
Several agencies offer less than £20 per hour.

Travel expenses are usually paid, either fully or at a standard flat rate, take it or leave it.
Travel time is usually NOT paid. But you can negotiate with some agencies. It all depends on who is the desperate party at the negotiating table on any given occasion.

£10 per any subsequent hour seems low, even in the current climate.
Collapse

carol so
carol so  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Know your market Feb 6, 2014

Unfortunately public service interpreters are badly paid in the UK. I agree with Ania that £20-25 an hour is average, £30 an hour is actually quite high. Many agencies dont really pay for travel time, so you always have to take this into account. You may well spend half an hour or even an hour to attend a one-hour interpreting assignment.

I know some agencies or even councils pay as low as £15-£16 an hour, and £5 flat rate for travelling cost (including travel expenses and tra
... See more
Unfortunately public service interpreters are badly paid in the UK. I agree with Ania that £20-25 an hour is average, £30 an hour is actually quite high. Many agencies dont really pay for travel time, so you always have to take this into account. You may well spend half an hour or even an hour to attend a one-hour interpreting assignment.

I know some agencies or even councils pay as low as £15-£16 an hour, and £5 flat rate for travelling cost (including travel expenses and travel time). So let's say it takes half an hour to get to the venue (might it be hospital, clinic or council office), you will have to spend 2+ hours for an hour interpreting, and you are earning £20. Dont forget that you still have to spend some time on the timesheet, invoice or any other paperwork that may be needed.

These rates are not acceptable, but some how I dont know what other options we could have.
Collapse

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Private sector Feb 6, 2014

By contrast, if you manage to line up a few regular clients in the private sector, who pay you directly, then you can realistically expect fees of of £200 upwards per day, plus full travelling expenses, plus payment for travelling time (within reason).

Mira66
Mira66
TOPIC STARTER
Disappointing Feb 6, 2014

Ania Heasley wrote:

To my knowledge, the main agencies pay around £15 per hour for telephone interpreting, one big one pays £12.60 per hour. You are only being paid for the minutes you work, needless to say.

F2F public service interpreting oscillates around £20-25 per hour. £30 is good.
Several agencies offer less than £20 per hour.

Travel expenses are usually paid, either fully or at a standard flat rate, take it or leave it.
Travel time is usually NOT paid. But you can negotiate with some agencies. It all depends on who is the desperate party at the negotiating table on any given occasion.

£10 per any subsequent hour seems low, even in the current climate.

carol so wrote:

I know some agencies or even councils pay as low as £15-£16 an hour, and £5 flat rate for travelling cost (including travel expenses and travel time). So let's say it takes half an hour to get to the venue (might it be hospital, clinic or council office), you will have to spend 2+ hours for an hour interpreting, and you are earning £20. Dont forget that you still have to spend some time on the timesheet, invoice or any other paperwork that may be needed.

These rates are not acceptable, but some how I dont know what other options we could have.

Thanks Ania & Carol,the rates are not good,specially for telephone interpreting,considering that they only pay per minute,and not minimum of 1 hour.

and I didn't consider the travel time,like Carol said,if they are not paying for travel time,then it will be at very least another hour spent in travelling (wasted) which you get nothing for.

makes me wonder if it was worth investing all that time and effort and money on DPSI course and exam,because it appears with interpreting one can earn equal to what a cleaner or dish washer earns,minus the consistency and security of those jobs!
it's sad and disappointing!

Mira66
Mira66
TOPIC STARTER
private sector Feb 6, 2014

Ania Heasley wrote:

By contrast, if you manage to line up a few regular clients in the private sector, who pay you directly, then you can realistically expect fees of of £200 upwards per day, plus full travelling expenses, plus payment for travelling time (within reason).

what do you mean by private sector clients?
do private sector deal with public service interpreters? or are you referring to specific/commercial type of clients who might need interpreting in an specific field? (business/technology,etc)

I heard you can directly contact some solicitors office,etc and they will pay much better that agencies,but I wonder why would they chose to do so if they can get cheap interpreters via agencies.

Lina Berova
Lina Berova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2014)
German to Russian
+ ...
of course! Feb 7, 2014

I don't think the situation with Farsi is similar to the situation with Chinese, Polish and Russian. In our markets, the concurrence is really high, but as a professional translator you can still get minimum 40 Euro/hour even from some agencies (I am talking about Germany). Of course the first job offers you get as an interpreter will be not very well paid (but you gain experience and you can see this as investment in your education). I would just listen to my intuition and accept only in the c... See more
I don't think the situation with Farsi is similar to the situation with Chinese, Polish and Russian. In our markets, the concurrence is really high, but as a professional translator you can still get minimum 40 Euro/hour even from some agencies (I am talking about Germany). Of course the first job offers you get as an interpreter will be not very well paid (but you gain experience and you can see this as investment in your education). I would just listen to my intuition and accept only in the case if the job seems to be very interesting and contributing to professional experience.
P.S. But yes, the rates you wrote are unacceptable. Under such conditions I might only accept the face to face interpreting thing and only in the case if it would be clear that the interpreting will not last longer than 2 hours.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-02-07 01:05 GMT]
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Really Feb 7, 2014

Mira66 wrote:

I thought these rates are what I will get (tax / insurance already deducted)..

Why?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:49
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Community Rates Feb 9, 2014

By the way, did you check out the rates given by ProZ? They are under the Tools menu by the name "Community rates". This is a statistical study by language pairs. I find it very helpful in determining my rates.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are these rates acceptable?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »