German-English Interpreting as a profession
Thread poster: languageagent
languageagent
languageagent
United States
Local time: 14:45
German to English
Jun 5, 2014

Does anyone know what kind of demand there is for interpreters in the German-English language pair? I am looking into legal interpreting and possibly medical. I live about 30 minutes north of New York city, so I am assuming there are more opportunities here than elsewhere. However, online interpreting also sounds nice. Please send me any thoughts on these avenues of exploration. Thanks for your help!
Meaghan

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. Jun 5, 2014

Not such a high demand, unfortunately, based on my experience--at least not in the medical field, or courts. Perhaps in the financial sector--you should check with big banks and corporations. Perhaps the UN, or some organizations associated with it. Otherwise, the pharmaceutical companies may need some people.

languageagent
languageagent
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 6, 2014

Thank you for your thoughts. I will check into the UN and some pharmaceutical companies around here. Do you ever do tele-conference interpreting?

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I usually don't. Jun 7, 2014

Only if the witness is in jail, but not for any corporations or private clients. Good luck.

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 12:45
Great scope Jun 13, 2014

Yes, interpretation is in a great demand now. Especially if you want to go for medical interpretation this has got a great scope. I would recommend you to join classes which offer certification.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German-English Interpreting as a profession

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »