Salary for EU Conference Interpreter?
Thread poster: Strastran (X)
ParlInt
ParlInt
Local time: 02:57
Misquoted... Jan 31, 2011

mjbjosh wrote:

ParlInt wrote:
As I recently learned, even as an EU freelance interpreter you're paid 2/3 of the day's fees (plus of course your travel expenses and per diem) even if you're not needed.

Being an EU freelance interpreter, I can set this one straight - you're getting paid the FULL rate even if you're not needed. Usually they know it well in advance and tell you to stay home (to avoid travel costs). Your usual Brussels, Strasbourg or Luxembourg contract is modified to a local one, which means that you have to cancel all the travel arrangements (flight, hotel) and be on permanence at your home. Theoretically, the EU has business everywhere in the EU, yet I have never been sent to a meeting at home. Per diem (there are NO travel expenses) in these cases is not paid. A contract can be only cancelled 60 or more days before the actual work. Otherwise you get paid the full rate sans per diem.

Be careful with your quotes. It wasn't me that wrote the sentence above, I just quoted it in my reply. The 2/3 pay relates to a situation where your contract is cancelled well in advance of the contract date. If you aren't assigned to a meeting despite having a contract, then yes, you get full pay without expenses.

ParlInt
ParlInt
Additional... Jan 31, 2011

mjbjosh wrote:

Does anyone know how much EU interpreters are paid?

Experienced freelance interpreters (250 days of proven experience for international organisations) earn about 390 euros a day, beginners (less than 250 days of proven experience), about 250. It doesn't matter if you only have to work for just 1 hour or the whole day, you are still getting paid the full day. Being a freelancer, do not expect to be hired EVERY day though.

[Edited at 2011-01-12 20:38 GMT]

Just to complement this answer...this is the net amount after tax and deductions, and doesn't include the amount you have paid into your pension fund.

How many languages should one speak? May 14, 2012

I'm fluent in four langauges; English, German, Danish and Dutch. But, I have heard that this wouldn't be enough in terms of variety. A French teacher in my school told me that there would be no point in applying if you could speak English, French, German and Spanish - as these are all wildly spoken. In fact, what she said was it would be better to speak a combination of per say Greek, Hungarian, Finnish and Bulgarian, as it is not such a common combination. Also, I've heard that it is a good ide... See more
I'm fluent in four langauges; English, German, Danish and Dutch. But, I have heard that this wouldn't be enough in terms of variety. A French teacher in my school told me that there would be no point in applying if you could speak English, French, German and Spanish - as these are all wildly spoken. In fact, what she said was it would be better to speak a combination of per say Greek, Hungarian, Finnish and Bulgarian, as it is not such a common combination. Also, I've heard that it is a good idea to have fluency in a non-EU language like Russian or Mandarin, as it tends to come in handy - is this true? Thanks a lot for all the information!Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:57
Chinese to English
I think you've been led astray May 14, 2012

There's a lot of need for English speakers; Danish and Dutch are both "small" languages, very much to your advantage; if you mean applying for an EU job, there is very little advantage in speaking non-EU languages. I'd say you're a good candidate.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
EU Jun 1, 2012

DavidHowie wrote:

I'm fluent in four langauges; English, German, Danish and Dutch. But, I have heard that this wouldn't be enough in terms of variety. A French teacher in my school told me that there would be no point in applying if you could speak English, French, German and Spanish - as these are all wildly spoken. In fact, what she said was it would be better to speak a combination of per say Greek, Hungarian, Finnish and Bulgarian, as it is not such a common combination. Also, I've heard that it is a good idea to have fluency in a non-EU language like Russian or Mandarin, as it tends to come in handy - is this true? Thanks a lot for all the information!

Take the interinstitutional test. The English booth is desperate of new talent, as many colleagues are retiring. I see quite a few with two C languages only. EN, FR, DE (in that order) are the most widely spoken languages in the Comission context, ES, IT, PL, PT, EL follow. In the Parliament you'll always have plenty of work with EN, DE, FR (in that order), ES, PL, IT, and PT. I don't really know the specifics of the EN booth. Maybe it's true that the EU12 languages do help, but then the respective booth can almost always do a retour.

ParlInt
ParlInt
Accent in the EN booth Sep 4, 2012

In response to a comment made earlier on in this thread about non-GB accents...I can confirm that the EN booth makes no distinction between UK, US, Australian or any other native speaker accent. As long as the message is clear, this is the important thing.

Cynics may doubt that this is true...but we have Canadians, Americans, and at least one South African and one Australian on our books, either as freelance or staff, in addition to the huge variety of home grown UK accents. Not a p
... See more
In response to a comment made earlier on in this thread about non-GB accents...I can confirm that the EN booth makes no distinction between UK, US, Australian or any other native speaker accent. As long as the message is clear, this is the important thing.

Cynics may doubt that this is true...but we have Canadians, Americans, and at least one South African and one Australian on our books, either as freelance or staff, in addition to the huge variety of home grown UK accents. Not a problem at all.
Collapse

ParlInt
ParlInt
Which languages are best... Sep 4, 2012

DavidHowie wrote:

I'm fluent in four langauges; English, German, Danish and Dutch. But, I have heard that this wouldn't be enough in terms of variety. A French teacher in my school told me that there would be no point in applying if you could speak English, French, German and Spanish - as these are all wildly spoken. In fact, what she said was it would be better to speak a combination of per say Greek, Hungarian, Finnish and Bulgarian, as it is not such a common combination. Also, I've heard that it is a good idea to have fluency in a non-EU language like Russian or Mandarin, as it tends to come in handy - is this true? Thanks a lot for all the information!

If your level is up to the job in those languages then it is certainly enough. Don't forget that a huuge amount of our work in the EN booth comes from DE, (in the parliament particularly) and that there is quite a shortage of DA, even NL, even though these are less widely spoken. In a large meeting like a plenary session, even if noone speaks NL it has to be covered, so we have to have the people there just in case. I would encourage you to apply if you are up to it...! We often find it difficult to get people with the requisite level in even the bread-and-butter languages, so the search is always on for new recruits.

As for non-EU languages, there is very little work with our institutions, and it's usually covered by outsourced freelancers anyway, so if you DID have Russian or Mandarin you'd be better off in Beijing or Moscow reaping the rewards of those skills.

[Edited at 2012-09-05 10:34 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary for EU Conference Interpreter?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »