Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:50
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2008

Hi all,
I've been looking for a good interpretation book for a while now, but instead of choosing one randomly I'd appreciate some recommendations from experts. I've looked on amazon but I get all kinds of irrelevant results (interpretation of dreams, interpetation of the Bible, etc.); others are too specific, e.g. courtroom interpreting. And when I finally find a relevant book I don't know whether it's good or not.
I'm not planning to become an interpreter (it's too late for that
... See more
Hi all,
I've been looking for a good interpretation book for a while now, but instead of choosing one randomly I'd appreciate some recommendations from experts. I've looked on amazon but I get all kinds of irrelevant results (interpretation of dreams, interpetation of the Bible, etc.); others are too specific, e.g. courtroom interpreting. And when I finally find a relevant book I don't know whether it's good or not.
I'm not planning to become an interpreter (it's too late for that anyway), but I've always wanted to know how you all work, what interpreting is all about, how you get trained, how you work on your memory skills, what difficulties you encounter, how you prepare for an interpreting assignment, what happens when the speaker uses a word you don't know, etc.

I am not looking for a manual or textbook with lots of exercises because I'm not planning to do them. I'd like to learn about the techniques, not necessarily practice them. (Some exercises would be OK, I just don't want half of the book to be practice drills.) In other words, I'm looking of an overview that includes the fundamentals of consecutive, simultaneous, and other kinds of interpreting, including theory and some examples of real-world situations.
Do you know of any such books? Maybe one that you used in your first year of interpretation studies?

Maria
Collapse

Magdalena Macinska
Magdalena Macinska  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
English to Polish
+ ...
a book by Andrew Gillies and other resources Feb 21, 2008

Personally I would reccommend reading
"Conference Interpreting - A New Students' Companion" by Andrew Gillies ,Tertium, Cracow, 2004.

A very practical, reader-friendly book which shows how to develop consecutive and simultaneous interpreting techniques step by step.

It was actually published in Poland, but I think it is possible to get it through the Internet.

Andrew Gillies has also compiled a detailed list of interesting books on in
... See more
Personally I would reccommend reading
"Conference Interpreting - A New Students' Companion" by Andrew Gillies ,Tertium, Cracow, 2004.

A very practical, reader-friendly book which shows how to develop consecutive and simultaneous interpreting techniques step by step.

It was actually published in Poland, but I think it is possible to get it through the Internet.

Andrew Gillies has also compiled a detailed list of interesting books on interpreting on his website.

Check out:
http://interpreters.free.fr/reading/general.htm

Good luck!
Magdalena
Collapse

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Danica Seleskovitch Feb 21, 2008

Maria Karra wrote:

In other words, I'm looking of an overview that includes the fundamentals of consecutive, simultaneous, and other kinds of interpreting, including theory and some examples of real-world situations.
Do you know of any such books? Maybe one that you used in your first year of interpretation studies?

Maria

The book "Interpreting for International Conferences" by Danica Seleskovitch gives a really good overview of what interpreting is all about. Excellent book for insight and understanding of the type of techniques and skills that interpreters need to develop.

[Edited at 2008-02-21 18:20]

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 06:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Books Feb 21, 2008

I agree with Alana, Seleskovich's materials were all excellent.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 12:50
English to Greek
+ ...
Seleskovich is the top Feb 21, 2008

I agree with the others, I think that Seleskovich is the top in interpreting books.

I can also recommend "Conference Interpreting Explained" by Roderick Jones.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 02:50
English to Russian
+ ...
If you are interested in court interpreting, Feb 22, 2008

then "Foundamentals of Court Interpretation" by Gonzalez, Vásquez, and Mikkelson is the book you need.

It explains what court interpreting is all about, with historical overview and examples from real life, tells you a bit about consecutive, simultaneous and sight translation mode, and discusses professional issues.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interpretation techniques and exercises by James Nolan Feb 22, 2008

A teacher in interpreting told me about 'Interpretation Techniques and Exercises' by James Nolan which I find very useful. For example, it contains a list of over 20 pages with words that are frequently used in speeches, citing several synonyms, to help you reflect on the precise meaning of these words and to find the correct translation for them, for example:

- to rally, to pull together, to close ranks, to get behind
- important, vital, crucial, critical, momentous, epochal
... See more
A teacher in interpreting told me about 'Interpretation Techniques and Exercises' by James Nolan which I find very useful. For example, it contains a list of over 20 pages with words that are frequently used in speeches, citing several synonyms, to help you reflect on the precise meaning of these words and to find the correct translation for them, for example:

- to rally, to pull together, to close ranks, to get behind
- important, vital, crucial, critical, momentous, epochal, earth-shaking transcendence
- tough, hard-headed, unsentimental, realistic

Trying to find a different translation for each of these and practicing this list helps to broaden your vocabulary and to have the precise word ready. Also to keep your interpreting interesting if there is a lot of repetition in the speech.
I was able to order this book from Amazon in the UK, although I had not seen it before I knew which exact title to look for.
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 25, 2008

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I hadn't found these books in my search so I'm glad I asked here.
I just ordered "Interpreting for International Conferences" by Seleskovitch. I couldn't find the book by Gillies online but I'll keep trying.

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General interpreting book recommendations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »