Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
http://www.proz.com/job/62144 (low-priced offer by outsourcer with good ratings)
Thread poster: Asya Sokirko
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
" 0.3-0.4 cents a word" is indeed one of the lowest rates ever Sep 11, 2004

Even if it is Euro. Actually, O.3 cents means 0.003 dollars/euros and if you want, you can accept it. Not me.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
[quote]Jussara Simoes wrote:

Kurt Porter wrote:

"We have two documents related to the marketing research of the Russian Post to be translated into English. Expertise in this field required. Deadline - Tuesday, September 14. The job may be split between two translators. Trados users preferred." 0.3-0.4 cents a word."

Which currency? If you're talking about USD or Euro, I'd love making 0.3 or 0.4 per word!

If I did not misunderstand this thread, it started because somebody was complaining about 0.05 per word, but I'd gladly work for 0.3 or 0.4! How much are you making per word, if 0.3 is too little for you?

XXXXX
JPS

Asya Sokirko
Asya Sokirko  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:30
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding Sep 11, 2004

[quote]Jussara Simoes wrote:

Kurt Porter wrote:

"We have two documents related to the marketing research of the Russian Post to be translated into English. Expertise in this field required. Deadline - Tuesday, September 14. The job may be split between two translators. Trados users preferred." 0.3-0.4 cents a word."

Which currency? If you're talking about USD or Euro, I'd love making 0.3 or 0.4 per word!

If I did not misunderstand this thread, it started because somebody was complaining about 0.05 per word, but I'd gladly work for 0.3 or 0.4! How much are you making per word, if 0.3 is too little for you?

XXXXX
JPS

Jussara, you have probably misunderstood us. First of all, I was originally talking about an entirely different job (link is given in the subject line at the very top). Secondly, the ad posted by Kurt reads "0.3-0.4 cents a word", i.e. 0.003-0.004 USD or EUR per word.

Asya Sokirko
Sweden
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody ... Sep 11, 2004

Thanks to everybody for the posts. I think we have got carried away in a slightly different direction.
I was not going to trivialize the issue and keep getting endlessly agitated over how agencies get cheap these days. These things have been already discussed here in various forums countless number of times, and I don't have any fresh thoughts worth sharing with this audience. I was only wondering whether there is, in fact, a contradiction between this ad and the BB record of this agency.
... See more
Thanks to everybody for the posts. I think we have got carried away in a slightly different direction.
I was not going to trivialize the issue and keep getting endlessly agitated over how agencies get cheap these days. These things have been already discussed here in various forums countless number of times, and I don't have any fresh thoughts worth sharing with this audience. I was only wondering whether there is, in fact, a contradiction between this ad and the BB record of this agency. Apparently, there is none. The agency has found a smart niche and there is a number of translators that are happy with the arrangement. Whether I personally am happy with this, is of absolutely no consequence.
Have a good weekend, everybody!
Collapse

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:30
Russian to English
+ ...
Balance Sep 11, 2004

Victor Potapov wrote:

asya wrote:

But this one is from GERMAN into ENGLISH. Do you think they are out there looking for Russians?

[Edited at 2004-09-10 20:17]

Not necessarily for Russians (or residents of any other country) - they are looking for the lowest bidder they still can trust.

Tricky thing, finding this balance...

and answering Kurt, I think such agencies/intermediaries do NOT care whether you are native speaker of target language as long as you agree to their rates. And then there are agencies paying very good money - but only to trusted, tested contractors.

Guess it's commodity markets vs. niche boutiques - two different business models at work. Everybody working in this field needs to understand what business model they fit - and what are their options and capabilities within selected model.

Good luck in specialization!

Victor.

Victor,

Good note. I liked your thoughs on market vs. niche. I fully agree with you that many agencies or intermediaries are only concerned about their rates. While I like our exchange, I realize it does not answer the original question. While not suprising to see people working from R int E at 0.03 or 0.04 American cents per word, it is suprising to see that in the G and E world. Heck, even the U.S. government pays more than that here in Germany!

R,
Kurt

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Same thing with an agency in Austria Sep 11, 2004

An agency in Austria with a 4.7 score offered me
6 cent per word Dutch> German.
I asked them : Why so low? Cause that's not typically for Austria.
Answer: Globalization, residence agency doesn't matter.
I asked: what do you offer to the translator?
Accessible in the evening, weekends?
Do you offer proofreading with feedback to translator?
Terminology?
I just wanted to know: are they so busy with
good services for translator and doublecheckin
... See more
An agency in Austria with a 4.7 score offered me
6 cent per word Dutch> German.
I asked them : Why so low? Cause that's not typically for Austria.
Answer: Globalization, residence agency doesn't matter.
Terminology?
good services for translator and doublechecking that
they are simply not able to pay more?
Guess what. Normal office hours. No extra services.
The person turns the tables asking if I NEED proofreading
alluding that maybe my translation is not so good.

E-mail to one person, who gave a 5, she said (Trustworthy) that she got more than 6 cent. (Italian-German)
One person in the BB wrote "broker" "low rates"

It's sometimes necessary asking persons what made them do to give a 5 with such low rates.

Of course you have to take the scores with a pinch of salt even if
ten persons give a 5.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:30
English to German
+ ...
Good questions Sep 11, 2004

Tuliparola wrote:...
Terminology?
good services for translator and doublechecking that
they are simply not able to pay more?
Guess what. Normal office hours. No extra services.
The person turns the tables asking if I NEED proofreading
alluding that maybe my translation is not so good ...

About turning the tables: you could have added a last question: "Did you ever have a client who required a translate-edit-proof procedure?"

Jussara Simoes (X)
Jussara Simoes (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Which currency? Sep 11, 2004

asya wrote:

>> Jussara, you have probably misunderstood us. First of all, I was originally talking about an entirely different job (link is given in the subject line at the very top). Secondly, the ad posted by Kurt reads "0.3-0.4 cents a word", i.e. 0.003-0.004 USD or EUR per word.

Asya,

I STILL can't understand. Which currency do you refer to when you talk about 0.3? I can't understand how 0.3 can be equal to 0.003, because 0.3 = 0.30, not 0.03. Now you talk about 0.003? Please, you guys must specify which currency you're talking about when you talk about money. Or, better yet, write "three cents", "thirty cents", etc. AND the currency. There are people from all over the world reading you, not all of us are in your backyard, honey.

XXXXX
JPS

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Any currency using "cents"... Sep 11, 2004

Works for both EUR and USD:
0.3 euro cents = EUR 0.3 x 0.01 = EUR 0.003

Same calculation for US dollars...

Regards, Ralf

Asya Sokirko
Sweden
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Jussara Sep 11, 2004

Please, see Ralph's response. The calculation has got nothing to do with the currency. It has got to do with the fact that the upper unit of the currency in question equals one hundred lower units, so that 0.3 of the lower unit equals 0.003 of the upper unit (0.01 x 0.3 = 0.003). Ralph has explained it in a very straight forward way. It is all about the word "cents".

Jussara Simoes wrote:
not all of us are in your backyard, honey.

XXXXX
JPS

This form of address does not seem to be very popular on these forums. And I am not aware of the opposite tendency.

Jussara Simoes (X)
Jussara Simoes (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am sorry Sep 11, 2004

asya wrote:

Please, see Ralph's response. The calculation has got nothing to do with the currency. It has got to do with the fact that the upper unit of the currency in question equals one hundred lower units, so that 0.3 of the lower unit equals 0.003 of the upper unit (0.01 x 0.3 = 0.003). Ralph has explained it in a very straight forward way. It is all about the word "cents".

Jussara Simoes wrote:
not all of us are in your backyard, honey.

XXXXX
JPS

This form of address does not seem to be very popular on these forums. And I am not aware of the opposite tendency.

I am very sorry. I had never seen cents being further divided, so my mind played a trick on me, and I did not notice the "Euro cents" qualifying the 0.3. All I'm used to see are 0.3 and 0.03, but I had never seen anybody being paid 0.003/word, so it sounded something out of reality. And, of course it is. Now I see you were right talking about 0.003 and I was right when I said I was not in your backyard. Were I there, 0.003 would not have seemed so weird to me. I am sorry again. And I do not see anything wrong on "not all of us are in your backyard". Check the dictionary:

in one's own backyard
In one's own domain, in a position very close to one. For example, You didn't expect to find a first-class organist in your own backyard. [Mid-1900s] Also see close to home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I am in South America. Where are you?

XXXXXX
JPS

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pinch of salt. Said it before, will say it again Sep 11, 2004

Tuliparola wrote:

It's sometimes necessary asking persons what made them do to give a 5 with such low rates.

Of course you have to take the scores with a pinch of salt even if ten persons give a 5.

I couldn't agree more, especially as some of those agencies pay very low rates, which in my view would warrant a comment to that extent.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:30
English to German
+ ...
3 cents = 0.03 USD ≈ 0.003 USD ≈ 0 USD Sep 11, 2004

I would prefer to translate for free, so I could tell myself that it was for a good purpose, instead of having to tell myself that I've been had..

[Edited at 2004-09-11 22:30]

Asya Sokirko
Sweden
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Backyard Sep 12, 2004

Hello, Jussara,

I was right when I said I was not in your backyard. Were I there, 0.003 would not have seemed so weird to me.

I am afraid, if you were in my backyard, it would seem even more weird to you. I am in Germany. And I moved to Germany from the US. And I am also well familiar with the Russian market, the price sounds off the whack even there.
BTW, the countries of all participants are stated in a small window to the left of their messages, so I already know you are from Brazil

I am sorry again.

It is perfectly all right.

And I do not see anything wrong on "not all of us are in your backyard". Check the dictionary:

It is not really this expression. It is "honey". Although they become worse when taken together. Let us put it this way: in the US, at least in the North, you are never addressed as "honey" by an "educated looking" stranger. By farmers on the market, haidressers, idle-looking guys, but not by professionals. As far as I know, the same is true of England. On those rare occasions when "honey" is used by a stranger of a somewhat higher social standing, it becomes ironic.
On the other hand, let us say I might be overreacting and drop the subject.
Good luck!

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Purpose of the Blueboard Sep 12, 2004

Is the purpose of the blueboard not to show whether agencies pay? In my opinion, if an agency advertises a job at 3 cents/word, and that's what they end up paying, I think they should get a high rating. I'm not saying I agree with such low rates, but if a company has a good blueboard rating, then we know that what they say they'll pay is what they'll pay, so all we have to do is check the rates before accepting a job.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
BlueBoard is not a pure payment-practices list Sep 12, 2004

Hi Timothy,

Is the purpose of the blueboard not to show whether agencies pay?

Certainly, that's an important part of the BlueBoard concept, but not the only purpose. BB ratings express the "likelihood of working again" with a given outsourcer - therefore, it's possible to enter a rating of 1 or 2 even though payment was on time.

Best regards, Ralf

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

http://www.proz.com/job/62144 (low-priced offer by outsourcer with good ratings)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »