How can I convince translation agencies to pay me by payoneer?
Thread poster: amelie08
amelie08
amelie08
Türkiye
Local time: 21:27
Turkish to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 26, 2018

I have 25 euros inside and I can not convince them to pay me by payoneer. Why is that? Is something wrong with payoneer?

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Marissa Aguayo Gavilano  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe... Jul 26, 2018

Maybe they don't want to pay the fees Payoneer charges them to pay you?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Nothing wrong Jul 26, 2018

The problem is that it's a "new thing".

Many translation agencies receive payments from end-clients via PayPal, and they leave an adequate balance there to pay translators, so it's in & out. There is no way to transfer funds directly between PayPal and Payoneer.

Next, if the client is in the USA (or maybe somewhere else too), they can use an eCheck. Quite often they don't know it, however an eCheck takes an entire week to clear, either to PayPal or Payoneer. If they (an
... See more
The problem is that it's a "new thing".

Many translation agencies receive payments from end-clients via PayPal, and they leave an adequate balance there to pay translators, so it's in & out. There is no way to transfer funds directly between PayPal and Payoneer.

Next, if the client is in the USA (or maybe somewhere else too), they can use an eCheck. Quite often they don't know it, however an eCheck takes an entire week to clear, either to PayPal or Payoneer. If they (and the translator) don't know it, sometimes it may lead to bickering.

A very flexible client of mine accepted my invitation to try Payoneer. As they didn't have funds there, which they keep on PayPal for immediate transfer, he tried to pay with his American Express card. Nope, they only tale Visa or MasterCard.

So it's a matter of time (and marketing!) before Payoneer becomes a regular option.
Collapse

Francois Ombede
Francois Ombede  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:27
Member (2017)
English to French
+ ...
You can be paid via Payoneer Jul 26, 2018

Just register to the "Global payment service" in your payoneer account. You will be assigned many bank accounts in Europe, USA, and many other areas. By this mean, you will be able to receive wire transfer from your clients and the money will reach your payoneer account as usual. That's how I do myself. You will just give your bank details to clients and they will do wire tranfers.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A minor glitch here Jul 26, 2018

Francois Ombede wrote:

Just register to the "Global payment service" in your payoneer account. You will be assigned many bank accounts in Europe, USA, and many other areas. By this mean, you will be able to receive wire transfer from your clients and the money will reach your payoneer account as usual. That's how I do myself. You will just give your bank details to clients and they will do wire tranfers.

Most clients love PayPal because nothing is charged to them. PayPal is owned by eBay, hence designed for it. The seller (translator) covers the payment expenses, like they do when they get paid with credit cards. These can be expensive! Here in Brazil PayPal deducts 6.5~7.5% of the total amount in fees, plus they openly adopt a 3.5% lower-than-market exchange rate before handing you your local currency.

Wire transfers are costly.They usually range between USD 20-65. Most translation agencies offer payment at no charge via PayPal, however they'll deduct the cost they have in sending funds via wire transfer. In the present case, there will be very little left from the 25 euros the OP has to receive.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:27
English to Italian
Depends... Jul 27, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Wire transfers are costly.

It depends on where client and service provider are respectively located... If both are in the EU (SEPA), for instance, there's a good chance a wire transfer would cost zero (especially in case of online banking).

It is really incredible that wires are so absurdly expensive in a "financially advanced" country such as the US, so much so that paper checks by mail are used instead...

Vesa Korhonen
Angie Garbarino
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Victoria Faucher

Ronald Cryer
Ronald Cryer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use the K.I.S.S. meathod Jul 27, 2018

I believe that keeping it simple is always the best policy. That means using the most recognized payment tool that is out there and that is recommended by Pro z.
Paypal is very flexible and is known worldwide. If you plan on the long haul of your work being simple and easy for all then I suggest to try and implement PAYPAL into your invoice system. I hope this helps you out.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On why your client can't use Payoneer Jul 27, 2018

Selin Yilmaz (amelie08) wrote:
[A client owes me €25,] and I can not convince them to pay me by Payoneer. Why is that? Is something wrong with Payoneer?

Well, can you please tell us how you tried to get the payment via Payoneer? I mean, what details did you send the client? Or did you initiate a payment request directly from within Payoneer (you know, the one that sends an "invite" to the other party)?

Here's what I have been able to figure out so far (but correct me if I'm wrong):

TO RECEIVE MONEY VIA PAYONEER

Payoneer offers three ways of receiving money, namely:

(a) via a marketplace web site
(b) via bank transfer to a Payoneer-linked bank account
(c) via the Payoneer online account itself

(One can also apply for a Payoneer debit card, but it is not possible to load money onto the debit card by any means except by transferring it from your Payoneer online account. In other words, you can't send money to your Payoneer debit card from e.g. your own bank account.)

a.) If your client buys your services via something like Fiverrr, he can pay into your Payoneer online account directly via Fiverrr. However, this is not something most freelancers will have set up. (Skrill also appears on the list, but I'm not sure if that means that a client can send you money by paying money into his Skrill online account and then sending the money to your Payoneer online account.)

b.) If your client is in the USA, UK or EU (or possibly a few other countries), and if he has a business bank account at his own bank, then he can pay money to your Payoneer online account via a Payoneer-linked bank account. For this, the client doesn't even need to know that you're using Payoneer -- you just give him your Payoneer-linked bank account number, he transfers the money using a normal bank transfer, and the money ends up in your Payoneer online account.

c.) If your client has money in his Payoneer online account, he can send some of that money to your Payoneer online account.

TO SEND MONEY VIA PAYONEER

Payoneer offers three ways of sending money, namely:

(a) via a marketplace web site
(b) via bank transfer to a Payoneer-linked bank account
(c) via the Payoneer online account itself

a.) If the translator is selling his services via a market place e.g. Fiverrr, then the client can register at both Payoneer and e.g. Fiverrr and then send money from his Payoneer online account to the translator's account at Fiverr. To do this, however, the client first has to put money into his Payoneer online account (and that is not really possible to accomplish anyway -- see further down).

b.) If the client is in the USA, UK or EU, and if he has a business bank account at his own bank, then he can send money to the translator without having to have a Payoneer online account or a Payoneer online account balance. The translator simply has to supply his own Payoneer-linked account numbers (available in the Global Payment Service tab of his Payoneer account). The money ends up in the translator's Payoneer online account and does not go directly into a bank account owned by the translator.

c.) If the client has a Payoneer online account, he can send money directly to the translator's Payoneer online account. However, to do this, the client must first add money to his Payoneer online account. And there are only two ways of doing that (and only one of them is practical -- see below).

TO LOAD MONEY INTO A PAYONEER ONLINE ACCOUNT

Here is the catch that prevents clients from using Payoneer to pay you:

It is not possible to add money to your Payoneer online account yourself. Money in your Payoneer online account always has to come from someone else. You can try to add money to your own Payoneer online account via the Payoneer-linked bank accounts, but this is against the rules, and your online account (and your money) will be lost if you get caught doing this.

The only way to get money into your Payoneer online account is to ask someone (who must live in the USA, UK or EU and who must have a business bank account at their own bank) to send you money via the Payoneer-linked bank account. This is reaaaally silly.

PAYONEER-LINKED BANK ACCOUNTS

To get money paid into a Payoneer-linked bank account, the payer has to comply with certain requirements:

Conditions for transferring into a USD account:
* Only ACH (US local bank) transfers in USD can be accepted
* Transfers must be made from a company account
* Transfers from individuals will be automatically rejected

Conditions for transferring into a EUR account:
* Only SEPA (European local bank) transfers in EUR can be accepted
* Transfers in USD will be automatically rejected and may result in this service being suspended

Conditions for transferring into a GBP account:
* Only BACS and Faster Payments Service (UK local bank) transfers in GBP can be accepted
* Transfers must be made from a company bank account
* Transfers in USD will be automatically rejected

[Edited at 2018-07-27 10:35 GMT]

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need for them to get a card Jul 27, 2018

I have a couple of vendor via Payoneer. I needed to sign up for an account and then I could pay via eCheck, debit or credit. The eCheck option is the cheapest (fewer commissions), so that's what I do. I don't have a Payoneer card. Maybe if I did the transfer would be free (??).

amelie08
amelie08
Türkiye
Turkish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paypal doesn't exist in Turkey Jul 27, 2018

My clients are generally from Spain and they never accept it.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Why PayPal Jul 27, 2018

I suspect that most agencies also get paid by many of their end clients via PayPal, so that they always have a large, or at least sufficient, amount of money ready and available to pay the translators. PayPal acts like a bank for them. I do this myself on a smaller scale. From the money I get paid via PayPal, I always leave enough money sitting there to pay for a new computer program, proz.com fees, or other online purchases. But if you introduce a different payment method, like Payoneer, that s... See more
I suspect that most agencies also get paid by many of their end clients via PayPal, so that they always have a large, or at least sufficient, amount of money ready and available to pay the translators. PayPal acts like a bank for them. I do this myself on a smaller scale. From the money I get paid via PayPal, I always leave enough money sitting there to pay for a new computer program, proz.com fees, or other online purchases. But if you introduce a different payment method, like Payoneer, that system doesn't work anymore because most agencies don't have enough money coming in on Payoneer from their clients. It is also a matter of financial administration: if translator A wants to be paid via PayPal, and B via Payoneer, and C via yet another method, that would be impossible for them to keep track of.Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
SEPA? Jul 29, 2018

Hi Amelie,
I thought Payoneer can provide you with an EUR account, with your own IBAN. If so, you could share these details with your Spanish clients and they can pay directly via SEPA transfer.

Rita Pang

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
That is right Aug 1, 2018

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano wrote:

Hi Amelie,
I thought Payoneer can provide you with an EUR account, with your own IBAN. If so, you could share these details with your Spanish clients and they can pay directly via SEPA transfer.

Payoneer can give you a EUR, GBP and USD account. The EUR one is based in Germany and transfer within EU is free. You don't even need to say that it's Payoneer (I've literally had a PM who told me to be sure to HIDE the term Payoneer on my invoice) and just put down the EUR info.

amelie08
amelie08
Türkiye
Turkish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how can it be possible? Aug 2, 2018

Rita Pang wrote:

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano wrote:

Hi Amelie,

Payoneer can give you a EUR, GBP and USD account. The EUR one is based in Germany and transfer within EU is free. You don't even need to say that it's Payoneer (I've literally had a PM who told me to be sure to HIDE the term Payoneer on my invoice) and just put down the EUR info.

Payoneer only allows me to link my TR account. I have a Euro debit card. So, I don't think it will be possible. If so, how?

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hmm Aug 2, 2018

amelie08 wrote:

Payoneer only allows me to link my TR account. I have a Euro debit card. So, I don't think it will be possible. If so, how?

Not sure why. I imagine Payoneer offers different options for withdrawal/payment depending on where you are located (i.e. address you have on file). Just logged into to confirm that I indeed have access to EUR, GBP and USD and can request a charge card for all 3 of these currencies, as well as having access to offer a UK, US and German address + banking information to my clients so that they can deposit/wire money into my Payoneer account.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I convince translation agencies to pay me by payoneer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »