United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
yes Oct 6, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Gregory Lassale wrote:
I have a reply email drafted saying thanks but no thanks unless you can offer decent compensation...

It's unprofessional to insult a client (even if you feel insulted yourself).

True but where is the insult?

writeaway
Gregory Lassale

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:50
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
yep Oct 6, 2018

[email protected] wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Gregory Lassale wrote:
I have a reply email drafted saying thanks but no thanks unless you can offer decent compensation...

Yours was my first reaction, too.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My reply to low budget/rates offers Oct 7, 2018

I built my web site driven by laziness/boredom. It began with the answers for questions/issues I was getting tired of explaining over and over again by e-mail to prospects, and has been growing ever since with - IMHO useful - information for all stakeholders in translation endeavors.

Instead of writing these explanations, I direct prospects/clients to the page containing my answer.

When I am offered low rates, or forewarned about a skimpy budget, I direct them to this o
... See more
I built my web site driven by laziness/boredom. It began with the answers for questions/issues I was getting tired of explaining over and over again by e-mail to prospects, and has been growing ever since with - IMHO useful - information for all stakeholders in translation endeavors.

Instead of writing these explanations, I direct prospects/clients to the page containing my answer.

When I am offered low rates, or forewarned about a skimpy budget, I direct them to this one:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/comparison.html
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ptrans Oct 8, 2018

[email protected] wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Gregory Lassale wrote:

I already answered this question. The insult I was referring to was "thanks but no thanks unless you can offer decent compensation", which Gregory later explained he didn't actually intend to write.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Insult? Who insulted who? Oct 8, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

[email protected] wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Gregory Lassale wrote:

I already answered this question. The insult I was referring to was "thanks but no thanks unless you can offer decent compensation", which Gregory later explained he didn't actually intend to write.

I don't think "thanks but no thanks unless you can offer decent compensation" deserves to be called an insult. I tend to reply with something much harsher to those "potential clients" that contacted me with an offer that would result in an hourly rate less than the legal minimum pay in the USA.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:50
English to Italian
I agree with the general sentiment, but... Oct 8, 2018

jyuan_us wrote:

I don't think "thanks but no thanks unless you can offer decent compensation" deserves to be called an insult. I tend to reply with something much harsher to those "potential clients" that contacted me with an offer that would result in an hourly rate less than the legal minimum pay in the USA.

... what does telling a PM/VM off achieve? I generally just reply saying I can't work at such rates. A few times, when the "offer" was particularly ludicrous, I took the time to write a more articulate refusal, saying something along the lines of what you mention, that is to say, that a (qualified) translator shouldn't be offered what would result in a hourly rate comparable to (or lower than) the salary of an unskilled worker... The hope is that those PMs/VMs will relay similar replies to their decision-making bosses, although I kind of suspect they don't need any reminder to realize that and that, with so many people ready to accept whatever rates and conditions, they couldn't care less anyway...

I once replied to the "resource manager" of a German end client who offered me something like €5 for each translated "article" (up to 4/500 words each, if I remember correctly) asking her if she would've accepted to work at similar rates, and she was candid enough to say no, but that she wasn't the one calling the shots and that's what the company she worked for was willing to pay, so...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Strike Oct 8, 2018

If all the translators in the world went on strike for a week, the world would suddenly find itself with a problem.

Translators do very important work. We should be highly paid. I'm forever puzzled as to why we're not.

Viviane Marx

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your budget is...what?!?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »