How much money can I demand
Thread poster: Kirsten78 (X)
Kirsten78 (X)
Kirsten78 (X)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sep 15, 2005

It's about a translation of a menu, would be from catalan to german. the names of the dishes are so abstract, that even catalans have some trouble to understan them, so I proposed to keep the catalan names (as well because the waitreses won't understand the german names) and add a german explication. so I have to go and speak with the cook and then write it down. all together will be more or less 400 words, but its much more work, than a normal translation

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 00:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge per hour Sep 15, 2005

Hi,

I would suggest for you to charge your rate per hour. If you translate 800 words in one hour and charge 10 cents per word, then your rate per hour would be 80 dollars.

Then you can estimate how many hours the whole project will take and present a possible budget to your client.

Good luck,
Patricia

Costanza T.
Costanza T.
Italy
Local time: 07:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Per hours Sep 15, 2005

I agree with Patricia. Because of this situation you can ask
a rate per hour and not per word.

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
French to English
+ ...
yes, per hour Sep 16, 2005

I do a lot of menu translation, and when the dishes are not straightforward (eg in gastronomy, there are a lot of chef "creations" that require a lot of research or detailed explanations from the chef) then it is reasonable to charge by the hour.
This is more a matter of adaptation as opposed to translation.

French2English
French2English
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:41
French to English
+ ...
charge whatever you like and ignore the sour grapes Sep 21, 2005

This makes sense to me. I think it is perfectly reasonable to have an hourly rate, especially where a fair amount of research is involved. I have apparently recently come under fire on Proz for my rates (allegedly) being too low. This astounded me, because I charge 0.08 - 0.10 EUR per source word, which I think is fair for the sort of translation I do (mainly technical, business, financial etc.) I currently don't charge by the hour, but am considering starting to do so as I also spend a fair... See more
This makes sense to me. I think it is perfectly reasonable to have an hourly rate, especially where a fair amount of research is involved. I have apparently recently come under fire on Proz for my rates (allegedly) being too low. This astounded me, because I charge 0.08 - 0.10 EUR per source word, which I think is fair for the sort of translation I do (mainly technical, business, financial etc.) I currently don't charge by the hour, but am considering starting to do so as I also spend a fair amount of time on research. The criticism also annoyed me because, although I use Proz a lot and find it a very useful resource, I don't actually bid for jobs on here and don't get my work through Proz. I feel very strongly that it is really totally up to the individual to decide what they feel they should charge, and whilst it is interesting and possibly relevant to know what other people are charging, this should not necessarily be a basis for your own charges and you should certainly not submit to any pressure about it. And there is nothing wrong with offering value for money. Translation is a business, like any other: the customer will always seek it out -and if they can get the same quality for slightly less money, then they will. And whilst I don't wish to blow my own trumpet, I am obviously pitching things just right because I am getting a steady stream of work, making a decent living from it and even having to turn it down at times. So I would say to anyone asking this kind of question: do your research on rates and then charge whatever you like and ignore any sour grapes that come your way.

Mara Bertelsen wrote:

I do a lot of menu translation, and when the dishes are not straightforward (eg in gastronomy, there are a lot of chef "creations" that require a lot of research or detailed explanations from the chef) then it is reasonable to charge by the hour.
This is more a matter of adaptation as opposed to translation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much money can I demand

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »