Return package, what does is show about project settings?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 2, 2021

I wonder if the return package show to the recipient, what sources I used in the settings.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:13
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
No, the return package contains only the translated file. Jul 2, 2021

Actually, the Studio packages are ZIP files, so you can open them and see the content using WinZip, 7Zip etc.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
MT Jul 2, 2021

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I wonder if the return package show to the recipient, what sources I used in the settings.

The XLIFF will show any use of MT, unless you remove this info via a tool.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, not correct Jul 2, 2021

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
No, the return package contains only the translated file.

I've had a look at the latest return package that I generated (and I have some experience about this as well).

The return package contains both a source and target language folder, and both those folders contain SDLXLIFF files, but the target folder can also contain the files in the final format. Not all files that were part of the forward package are also included in the return package.

In addition, there is an SDLPROJ file, which is an XML file that you can open in a text editor.

The target SDLXLIFF files contain whatever is usually included in those files, including (as Hans said) whether you have used machine translation and what the origins are of fuzzy matches. (Perhaps Yossi did not think to include this information because this is what a target SDLXLIFF file normally would contain anyway, whether it is part of a return package or not.) The SDLXLIFF file also contains a username which *may* include identifying information about you, as well as the dates/times that segments were most recently modified.

The SDLPROJ contains even more information: for example, I can see my own e-mail address in it, as well as the e-mail address of the person who worked on the project previously. It shows which translation memories were used, what the file analyses (word counts) were, a number of other project settings etc.

The generated return package contains the SDLXLIFF file that is in the target folder of your project. This means that if you edit that SDLXLIFF file in e.g. a text editor to e.g. remove private information, and then generate the return package, the return package will contain your edited version of the file.

Heinrich Pesch
Jaime Oriard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Return package, what does is show about project settings?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »