Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:18
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 13, 2021

Hi
just reinstalled Studio 2021 after misbehaving and now it does not recognize my TMs.
Error message: The Translation provider XX XX could not be opened and has been disabled.
Why is this?
What can I do?
FYI: Studio simply says no to opening any TM.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:18
French to English
+ ...
Yea, I've been there... Jul 13, 2021

Try renaming the TMs and possibly loading them from a different location. Sometimes, it works... sometimes, it doesn't.

HTH,
Sandra

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There is a TM fixing add-in Jul 13, 2021

There is a TM fixing add-in that you can download for free from the SDL App store.

I also had a problem of corrupt TM, but it did not help in my case. I had a backup of this TM so I did not loose too much data. I hope it will work in your case.

I recommend to back up TMs and Termbases on regular basis. It saved me several times.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your tip. Jul 13, 2021

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Try renaming the TMs and possibly loading them from a different location. Sometimes, it works... sometimes, it doesn't.

HTH,
Sandra

Not yet tried and am sceptical as even brand new empty TMs are not opened.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM fixing add-in Jul 13, 2021

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

There is a TM fixing add-in that you can download for free from the SDL App store.

I also had a problem of corrupt TM, but it did not help in my case. I had a backup of this TM so I did not loose too much data. I hope it will work in your case.

I recommend to back up TMs and Termbases on regular basis. It saved me several times.

Thank you, but it's not a matter of corrupt TMs as none of my TMs (and I have a full load of them) and even newly created ones are loaded.
Unless Studio decided to wreck all of my TMs...

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Addendum to error message Jul 13, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Thank you, but it's not a matter of corrupt TMs as none of my TMs (and I have a full load of them) and even newly created ones are loaded.
Unless Studio decided to wreck all of my TMs...

Here's an addendum to the error message for not opening TMs:

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: serviceType

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:18
French to English
+ ...
The TM was OK Jul 13, 2021

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

The TM was just fine. The problem was its name and location, namely the path recorded in the failed project.

Changing the name/location of the same TM solved the problem.

HTH,
Sandra

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should not have rejected your suggestion earlier Jul 13, 2021

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

The TM was just fine. The problem was its name and location, namely the path recorded in the failed project.

Changing the name/location of the same TM solved the problem.

HTH,
Sandra

As per title. I did not change the name of the TM(s) but copied them over into a new folder. And your suggestion worked perfectly. No more error messages.

Thank you so much

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Same problem, but as yet no solution... Aug 23, 2021

I was pleased to see that other colleagues have experienced this issue and apparently found a way round it. One might ask the pointless question: "Why can't SDL just produce software that works?" but we'll leave that aside for the moment.
I almost never use Trados but this time I have to. I have Studio 2021 (Windows 10) and have just created a new local project. Nothing dramatic Ger->UK Eng. One Excel file.
However, I cannot include ANY TMs, existing or new, and the trick of shiftin
... See more
I was pleased to see that other colleagues have experienced this issue and apparently found a way round it. One might ask the pointless question: "Why can't SDL just produce software that works?" but we'll leave that aside for the moment.
I almost never use Trados but this time I have to. I have Studio 2021 (Windows 10) and have just created a new local project. Nothing dramatic Ger->UK Eng. One Excel file.
However, I cannot include ANY TMs, existing or new, and the trick of shifting them to a different location, renaming them etc. makes no difference.

Has there been any behind-the-scenes progress here?

AH

QUICK UPDATE...
Have just reinstalled Studio 2019 on the same PC and everything works fine there. So it's not me or the PC...

[Edited at 2021-08-23 16:21 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2021 not opening TMs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »