Termbase not showing fields in the term recognition window
Thread poster: Ditania
Ditania
Ditania
Argentina
Nov 10, 2023

Ever since I started using Trados, I've always encountered the same problem.

I create the termbase using the Termbase wizard > Use a predefined termbase template > Bilingual glossary. Then, in the Hitlist settings, I select all the fields.

At this point, it seems like the termbase randomly decides whether to display the fields (such as the Definition field of a term) or not. Every time I re-check: all the boxes in "Select Fields" are marked. However, in the term recogn
... See more

I create the termbase using the Termbase wizard > Use a predefined termbase template > Bilingual glossary. Then, in the Hitlist settings, I select all the fields.

At this point, it seems like the termbase randomly decides whether to display the fields (such as the Definition field of a term) or not. Every time I re-check: all the boxes in "Select Fields" are marked. However, in the term recognition window, I only see the term and its translation.

I've created many termbases, following the same steps. Sometimes I'll be lucky and have a termbase that shows the fields, and sometimes I won't.
I've also tried creating new termbases from a multilingual termbase template and from an existing termbase as a template (this termbase being one that shows the fields).

Has anyone had the same problem? Can anyone help me?
Thanks!!
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:53
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Reorganise? Nov 10, 2023

Have you tried to reorganise your Termbase?

Click on 'Termbase Management' then on 'Reorganize':

2023-11-10

See if this solves the problem.

[Edited at 2023-11-10 19:56 GMT]

Ditania
Ditania
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work either. Nov 10, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

Have you tried to reorganise your Termbase?

Click on 'Termbase Management' then on 'Reorganize':

2023-11-10

See if this solves the problem.

[Edited at 2023-11-10 19:56 GMT]

I just tried that, and it doesn't work either.
One additional piece of information:
I have one termbase working great and showing the fields (let’s call it "WT") and another termbase not working (let's call it "Coco").
1. With the Glossary converter, I create a .txt file for both of them.
2. I copy the terms from "Coco.txt" to "WT.txt."
3. Using the Glossary converter, I convert "WT.txt" to the new "Coco.sdltb."
4. And now, I have a working termbase that functions perfectly with the information from the original "Coco."
This involves several steps, having a termbase solely to use as a template, and, in the term recognition window, I will always see "WT" as the name of my termbase.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The developers know about it, and don't know how to solve it. I'd recommend using memoQ instead. Nov 10, 2023

Ditania wrote:

At this point, it seems like the termbase randomly decides whether to display the fields (such as the Definition field of a term) or not. Every time I re-check: all the boxes in "Select Fields" are marked. However, in the term recognition window, I only see the term and its translation.

I've created many termbases, following the same steps. Sometimes I'll be lucky and have a termbase that shows the fields, and sometimes I won't.
I've also tried creating new termbases from a multilingual termbase template and from an existing termbase as a template (this termbase being one that shows the fields).

Thanks!!

This problem has been around for many, many, many years. The developers know about it, and don't know how to solve it. I'd recommend using memoQ instead.

Rachel Waddington

Ditania
Ditania
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Why there is no information about it? Nov 11, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

Ditania wrote:

Thanks!!

This problem has been around for many, many, many years. The developers know about it, and don't know how to solve it. I'd recommend using memoQ instead.

If it's a known problem that has been around for a while, how is it, then, that there is no information about it on the internet?

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:53
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Did you set the Hitlist settings? Nov 11, 2023

Studio Hitlist settings

Ditania
Ditania
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, of course. Nov 12, 2023

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Studio Hitlist settings

Yes, of course: "Then, in the Hitlist settings, I select all the fields."

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
MemoQ Nov 15, 2023

Another vote for switching to MemoQ. I have had this issue with Trados too and never found a reliable solution. Trados is just buggy - I never have these issues with MemoQ.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:53
English to Russian
Known issue Nov 15, 2023

Ditania wrote:
If it's a known problem that has been around for a while, how is it, then, that there is no information about it on the internet?
Probably this is it: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/multiterm/19525/fields-not-displaying-for-tb-in-studio

Dan Lucas

Ditania
Ditania
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED!!! DON'T USE SPECIAL CHARACTERS in the name of the termbase Nov 17, 2023

Ditania wrote:

Thanks!!

I found a way to trigger the issue of not showing the fields. DON'T USE special characters (for example, &) in the name of the termbase. I've already created several termbases without the problem by simply avoiding the use of special characters in the file name. As soon as I use a special character, the termbase won't display the fields.
I hope this will help somebody.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
That's not the whole story Nov 18, 2023

Ditania wrote:
I found a way to trigger the issue of not showing the fields. DON'T USE special characters (for example, &) in the name of the termbase. I've already created several termbases without the problem by simply avoiding the use of special characters in the file name. As soon as I use a special character, the termbase won't display the fields.
I hope this will help somebody.

This may have been the case with your files - so that's good - but it is clearly not the only issue. I don't use symbols in termbase names and sometimes I still get problems with term recognition, often with Trados refusing to flag terms entered earlier in the session.

As Michael said earlier, recognition of terms is a longstanding problem with Trados/Multiterm and has been mentioned multiple times in various forums (a quick and basic search of the forum brings up this, and this, in addition to Stepan's link, and I am pretty sure I too have raised the problem on these forums in the past, but can't find anything).

Regards,
Dan

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I found that reorganizing the termbase helps Nov 18, 2023

When Studio starts having problem showing terms from termbase, reorganizing termbase solves the problem.

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Agreed Nov 18, 2023

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
When Studio starts having problem showing terms from termbase, reorganizing termbase solves the problem.

Yes, it usually fixes it for me too, and so does restarting Studio (sometimes). However, on my system, starting Studio takes 35 seconds, and I resent the time taken - for this and reorganizing termbases - to fix in the short-term a problem that should have been resolved years ago.

Still. My work is mostly Memsource/Phrase these days.

Regards,
Dan

Yossi Rozenman

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
In Studio 2015 termbase works fine Nov 18, 2023

I still have Studio 2015 (I need to use it for one of my clients) and I use the same termbase with it.

When termbase doesn't work in 2022, it works perfectly in 2015.

And yes, the waste of time is really annoying.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase not showing fields in the term recognition window

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »