Quoting for and Translating "chat-type" Texts (ES>EN)
Thread poster: Kevin LOVELADY
Kevin LOVELADY
Kevin LOVELADY
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:02
French to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2003

I have just accepted and started a job for an ES>EN translation of about 7000 words described as "an internet survey" with many repetitions. In good faith, I discounted my rate by 10% which the client accepted. When I got the text however, it was in the form of an online "chat forum" with badly formed questions and answers, a lot of slang (including swear words), mobile-phone text abbreviations, spelling mistakes, little/no punctuation (see examples below).

As a relatively newbie
... See more
I have just accepted and started a job for an ES>EN translation of about 7000 words described as "an internet survey" with many repetitions. In good faith, I discounted my rate by 10% which the client accepted. When I got the text however, it was in the form of an online "chat forum" with badly formed questions and answers, a lot of slang (including swear words), mobile-phone text abbreviations, spelling mistakes, little/no punctuation (see examples below).

As a relatively newbie, I will treat this as a learning experience but I would be interested in opinions on how more experienced translators would deal with this type of translation. Should I have said something straight away to the client before starting (although I want to honour his deadline) or should I just include a note about interpreting the original text in order to tidy up the translated text.
Many thanks and enjoy the examples!
Kevin
-----------------------------------------
mirar el cohce desde fuera, pk aun no he visto el interior
yo tp la comparo con ninguna, es decir tiene lo k tiene todas
jaleo leoleoleoleole
joder vaya coche
puess ver los dif tipod de cohesw, las ofertas, lod concesionarios locales...
sisisi
si pero tb es necesario si kieres ver el coche pk una baja resolucion mataria el encanto
no hay concesionarios en bcn
lo que si es verdad que cuando hay letra solo, sin fotoss prefomina demasiado el gris, estaba mirando en cohes guardados
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I would not have discounted for repetitions Jul 14, 2003

This Trados business seems to be infecting every one. Repetitions, so what? In which way are we responsible for the same? We are just dealing with the text and if there is repetition, ask the author. This is one of the reasons, as to why I am against buying Trados.
Now for slangs. Tell the client about it and ask for more money for the same. Take the stand that the language has modified and represents more work. At least withdraw the 10% discount. In future never allow discounts for repeti
... See more
This Trados business seems to be infecting every one. Repetitions, so what? In which way are we responsible for the same? We are just dealing with the text and if there is repetition, ask the author. This is one of the reasons, as to why I am against buying Trados.
Now for slangs. Tell the client about it and ask for more money for the same. Take the stand that the language has modified and represents more work. At least withdraw the 10% discount. In future never allow discounts for repetitions.

encore116 wrote:

As a relatively newbie, I will treat this as a learning experience but I would be interested in opinions on how more experienced translators would deal with this type of translation. Should I have said something straight away to the client before starting (although I want to honour his deadline) or should I just include a note about interpreting the original text in order to tidy up the translated text.
Kevin
jaleo leoleoleoleole
joder vaya coche
sisisi
si pero tb es necesario si kieres ver el coche pk una baja resolucion mataria el encanto
lo que si es verdad que cuando hay letra solo, sin fotoss prefomina demasiado el gris, estaba mirando en cohes guardados
Collapse

charlesink
charlesink
Local time: 03:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to quote difficult jobs Jul 14, 2003

encore116 wrote:

Kevin
jaleo leoleoleoleole
joder vaya coche
sisisi

Whwn you quote without knowin the original text, just say, for instance xxx $ for normal word files, subject to revision (or whatever you want to say).
Perhaps you'll loose several jobs, but I think is worse to work at a loss, o to do a bad job.
Best
Carlos

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:02
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't know if I'd be able to do it Jul 14, 2003

I'm quite familiar with mobile-phone text abbreviations only in Spanish because it's what my children use, but although I translate into French I don't know the equivalent in French.

I think the biggest mistake (bigger than giving a discount) has been accepting the job without having a look at it.

If I were you I'd have said immediately that there was a problem because of what I already said, it's too difficult for me. What does the client expect? A mobile-phone text a
... See more
I'm quite familiar with mobile-phone text abbreviations only in Spanish because it's what my children use, but although I translate into French I don't know the equivalent in French.

I think the biggest mistake (bigger than giving a discount) has been accepting the job without having a look at it.

If I were you I'd have said immediately that there was a problem because of what I already said, it's too difficult for me. What does the client expect? A mobile-phone text abbreviations translation?

But if it's not too difficult for you, I'd take it as you do, a lesson.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
must be fun :-) Jul 14, 2003

I am in total agreement with Narasimhan about all this repetition business. However, as for your case, I think it's very important to let the customer know beforehand about the grammatical condition of the original text: misspellings, abbrev.s and all. After that, all you'd have to do is spend a few nights in a row in chat rooms (go to www.paltalk.com, for instance, which has many Spanish-speaking communities). T... See more
I am in total agreement with Narasimhan about all this repetition business. However, as for your case, I think it's very important to let the customer know beforehand about the grammatical condition of the original text: misspellings, abbrev.s and all. After that, all you'd have to do is spend a few nights in a row in chat rooms (go to www.paltalk.com, for instance, which has many Spanish-speaking communities). Then you'll see your translation flowing so smoothly and naturally to your surprise! With a more positive and optimistic look you can even approach it as a sort of literary translation. Enjoy!Collapse

Kevin LOVELADY
Kevin LOVELADY
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:02
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Jul 22, 2003

Just a quick note to say thank you to all who replied. I have taken your comments and advice on board. Once bitten, twice shy!

Thanks again
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting for and Translating "chat-type" Texts (ES>EN)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »