Omer Shani  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:31
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jun 22, 2016

Hi guys
I hope I'm writing in the correct forum. If not, I'd appreciate if you can direct me the correct forum to publish this question.

I have a client, for whom we translate IT texts and so into German-Germany, as an on-going procedure.

Now, this client wants to sell their services in Swiss as well.

Now, what I want to understand - Is German-Swiss is the same as German-Germany, or maybe it is a bit different in terms of spelling and other linguistic
... See more
Hi guys
I hope I'm writing in the correct forum. If not, I'd appreciate if you can direct me the correct forum to publish this question.

I have a client, for whom we translate IT texts and so into German-Germany, as an on-going procedure.

Now, this client wants to sell their services in Swiss as well.

Now, what I want to understand - Is German-Swiss is the same as German-Germany, or maybe it is a bit different in terms of spelling and other linguistic aspects, when only editing is enough to adapt the variants, or are we talking about a completely different variant of German, that should be translated from scratch?

Thank you for your insights

Omer Shani
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 05:31
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some comments. Jun 22, 2016

How come you are providing services into German (on regular basis) and you are not aware of the differences? If this is your target language, you should be aware of variants and their differences.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't know everything Jun 22, 2016

Everyday I learn new stuff, and since I weren't required so far to provide German variants,

Since now I do, I want to make sure I'm providing my client the most accurate and honest answer, and tailors the service accordingly.

Now, please enlighten me

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, there are differfences. Jun 22, 2016

Some terms are completely different in usage. Although the Swiss and Germans will understand each other for the most part, they will not be using each other's local terms.

Now technical German is probably standardized, but you will certainly have non-technical terms in your content as well.

Native German speakers will be able to give you better guidance here, these are just my general observations.

Markus Langer
Markus Langer  Identity Verified
Austria
English to German
Editing is enough Jun 22, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Standard_German should give you a first overview.
For example you have to use "ss" instead of "ß". In my experience, 98% is the same, so editing should definately be enough.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Editing Jun 22, 2016

Yes, you need to hire a Swiss editor (or a German or Austrian with very good arguments as to why they are a good choice for adapting an existing translation into Swiss German). The work should go very quickly and smoothly if the editor knows what he or she is doing and also understands and accepts that the only issues to be deallt with are those between the German vs. Swiss variants of German.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It depends on the subject Jun 22, 2016

DE-CH differs considerably from DE-DE when the subject is about law, government and other local things. Many professions have different names too. It is not enough to edit but the translator has to be at home in the local variant. But for technical manuals it is usually enough to exchange ss for ß.
Switzerland is not member of the EU, so EU-related texts might represent a challenge.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your comments Jun 22, 2016

I'm always happy to learn new things about this exciting industry and the local challenges.

I've already posted a relevant bid in Proz about editing German Germany to German-Swiss, so if you're interested, please submit there.

#Heinrich, the topic is IT and internet/cyber, hence based on your answers, I believe editing would do

Kind regards, Omer Shani

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German-Germany vs. German Swiss

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »