Mixed GDPR or extra fuss?
Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 2, 2018

About a year ago my British colleague of mine asked me to help with a "weird" bulky Russian .docx (a dissertation to be translated into English) she couldn't handle properly: it loaded too long, the spellchecker was permanently disabled, the search didn't work, the cursor moved rather slow, and Word often hanged up and closed.

Shortly, a quick glance and copy-pasting as unformatted text revealed it was a mix of similar English and Russian letters (eETyoOpPaAHKxXcCbBM -- еЕТуоО
... See more
About a year ago my British colleague of mine asked me to help with a "weird" bulky Russian .docx (a dissertation to be translated into English) she couldn't handle properly: it loaded too long, the spellchecker was permanently disabled, the search didn't work, the cursor moved rather slow, and Word often hanged up and closed.

Shortly, a quick glance and copy-pasting as unformatted text revealed it was a mix of similar English and Russian letters (eETyoOpPaAHKxXcCbBM -- еЕТуоОрРаАНКхХсСьВМ). At first I though it was an OCR fault, confusing the fonts/facetypes, but a random character of letter replacement even in the same words gave me a hint, so I checked a few phrases for plagiarism--everything was fine. I recommended her to ask the client for the original, which came as PDF--and with mixed letters too!

Eventually, she explained the issue to the professor; he was surprised and a little upset, yet agreed to pay extra for re-OCR, wasted time and troubles. We just extracted pages as pictures to OCR the text properly: the mission accomplished!

However, in June another colleague asked me how to fix "mixed languages" texts and I gave him the same pieces of advice--to contact the client or print it as a PDF and OCR. As far as his agency refused to pay extra or to provide a legible original, it was a real nuisance because of its size and a complicated layout... He missed the deadline, of course.

In August my friend's partner got a couple of manuals in French to be translated into Russian--and guess what? Welcome to the club!

Recently I got an email with a "once-in-a-lifetime business offer", where they used a similar approach to mix letters. Asking my direct clients I learned that there's no such an instruction, but a local company policy, a malware, or badly cracked PDF software could trigger such a mess. Just a localization and fonts issue, perhaps?

Did you see such? Is it but a perverted "data privacy" idea, a lettermining, or there's something else?

TY
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the explanation was quite simple: raw data vs processed information Oct 4, 2018

They are four different agencies managing the projects together, with an anti-indexing measures for 'internal use' gone awry...

meanwhile, an administrator of such agency thanked for the letter and remarked they had had no questions about the issue since implementation--for more than three months! It implies about a hundred of other translators silently and sheepishly re-OCRed compromised files at their time and costs... Funny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixed GDPR or extra fuss?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »