Looking for reliable free online and CAT resources - Adventures of a new free-lance lawyer linguist
Thread poster: JVSantos
JVSantos
JVSantos  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 19:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 21, 2013

Dear all,

I would like to know from your experience which are the best and most reliable free online resources.

Also I would like to have your input on the best tools (quality/price ratio) for CAT resources.

I´m starting as free-lance lawyer linguist and translator.

For the moment I´m using the following tools:

1 - word bee translation management system - freelance entrepreneur so
... See more
Dear all,

I would like to know from your experience which are the best and most reliable free online resources.

Also I would like to have your input on the best tools (quality/price ratio) for CAT resources.

I´m starting as free-lance lawyer linguist and translator.

For the moment I´m using the following tools:

1 - word bee translation management system - freelance entrepreneur solution;
2 - http://www.freetranslation.com/
3- trial of sdltrados (although I´m not sure if this is the best tool for Mac).

Finally I have 4 projects to manage during next week, with deadline on the 28th Friday:
EN to PT; ES to PT; FR to PT and last but not least EN to FR.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

João Verdades dos Santos
Luxembourg
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:01
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. I am not sure which one exactly that would be by the name Jun 22, 2013

but you have to look for a tool similar to SAGA the legal program good for boilerplates. Then you have to humanly translate everything and store some boilerplates which are often being repeated in exactly the same form.

The rest is not that essential for a good translator.

[Edited at 2013-06-22 10:15 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
WordFast Anywhere Jun 22, 2013

If you want them free, WordFast Anywhere is a free online CAT tool.

However as a lawyer, you should be concerned about non-disclosure.

Regardless of the secrecy and security anyone guarantees you, no matter if on their knees and crossing their hearts, if you will be uploading your content to some unknown server outside your office, and getting a free service on it, in case it leaks, nobody will be liable but you. This, of course, includes any free e-mail services you u
... See more
If you want them free, WordFast Anywhere is a free online CAT tool.

However as a lawyer, you should be concerned about non-disclosure.

Regardless of the secrecy and security anyone guarantees you, no matter if on their knees and crossing their hearts, if you will be uploading your content to some unknown server outside your office, and getting a free service on it, in case it leaks, nobody will be liable but you. This, of course, includes any free e-mail services you use.

I am not a lawyer, you are. So you should know that if you hire (and pay) someone else to provide you a service, you are mutually bound by an agreement. If you are simply using something made available for free, it means you are under no obligation to pay anything, and they are under no obligation to provide you with anything (e.g. security) you can't get there on your own.

For instance, if you use free e-mail services, it will be up to you to adequately encrypt and password-protect any sensitive material you send through it. While the service will try (or not) to offer some security, they won't be liable for a leak.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Legal liability vs. trust Jun 22, 2013

[quote]José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

While the service will try (or not) to offer some security, they won't be liable for a leak.

Everybody is liable for whatever he or she is doing. Particularly in the EU, there are laws regarding confidentionality. These laws apply for free services as well as for paid services – there is no difference.

But, of course, this doesn't mean that one should trust such services. I don't trust any service except my selected e-mail provider.

SwissLocalizer
SwissLocalizer
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Forum posts are indexed by Google Jun 22, 2013

Just a reminder. This post is actually on the second result page when searching for your nameon Google. At least your clients can figure out pretty easily what kind of "professional" services you offer.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Just get a normal CAT and some dictionaries (free or not) Jun 22, 2013

João, just get a normal CAT. There's a 50% discount on Trados every now and then. Get yourself some nice dictionaries for fields which you are not an expert in (in the sense of translation, e.g. technical, medical etc., even though you might know the legal issues). DVD or digitally downloadable ones should be cheaper than paper versions. At least you'll get to write them off (probably too late to get subbed by the EU unless you've been a salaried lawyer, if that's even possible for a bar-admitt... See more
João, just get a normal CAT. There's a 50% discount on Trados every now and then. Get yourself some nice dictionaries for fields which you are not an expert in (in the sense of translation, e.g. technical, medical etc., even though you might know the legal issues). DVD or digitally downloadable ones should be cheaper than paper versions. At least you'll get to write them off (probably too late to get subbed by the EU unless you've been a salaried lawyer, if that's even possible for a bar-admitted one).

The initial outlays when you embark on professional translations aren't that huge, as a lawyer who's already been in the business for a while you're surely capable of footing the bill.

Give your profile some loving (correct the 'know' ASAP). There's plenty of free online resources on... marketing for translators. Anything with 'Marta Stelmaszak' as a keyword is automatically worth watching or reading (such as that powerful 1,5-hour presentation from Spain she gave a while ago), but I personally rely primarily on legal marketers from the US. Whatever legal marketing works for lawyers will work for a 'lawyer-linguist'. In fact, if you use legal marketing, it will not hamper you, it will only underline it time and time again that you're a lawyer, which is a big bunch of USP (and UAP too). Better still, abuse of lawyerly paraphernalia (court steps, scales, books and whatnot) can hurt you in the legal market, but probably not so when you're a lawyer in the translation market.

Better marketing means more income, and that means the ability to make larger investments, some of which open up new sources of income, while others improve on what you already have.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No lawyer, but Jun 23, 2013

I am no lawyer, but one advice I can give you that will be invaluable to you.

Don't even think of using any new CAT tool, or any other productivity enhancing tool, for the 4 projects you have mentioned with the deadline of 28th.

These tools have a steep learning curve and installing them too is not a trivial process. If I were you, I would get these urgent tasks out of the way before experimenting with these tools.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for reliable free online and CAT resources - Adventures of a new free-lance lawyer linguist

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »