French spell checker / Vérification d'orthographe français
Thread poster: francoisebou
francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:05
Nov 24, 2013

Hello All,

All our Word spell checking options on Word are properly set.

My partner and I work on same Word 2007 versions but my partner's spell checker spots errors that mine does not!

And, I repeat, we have the SAME SPELLING SETTINGS.

So I was wondering if one of you know another more efficient spell checker in French I could import in Word to add to Word original CUSTOM.DIC dictionary?

I have been looking on Internet but found
... See more
Hello All,

All our Word spell checking options on Word are properly set.

My partner and I work on same Word 2007 versions but my partner's spell checker spots errors that mine does not!

And, I repeat, we have the SAME SPELLING SETTINGS.

So I was wondering if one of you know another more efficient spell checker in French I could import in Word to add to Word original CUSTOM.DIC dictionary?

I have been looking on Internet but found nothing so far except people talking about setting Word spell checker!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 08:05
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Custom.dic Nov 24, 2013

I have a not dissimilar problem, working as I do across 4 different PCs, 2 on XP and 2 on W7; sadly, all the words I carefully teach each custom.dic are not transferred to the other PCs, and I have never found a satisfactory way of merging them manually. I did consider keeping my custom.dic centrally on an external hard drive, but this seemed to provoke problems that I didn't investigate further.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice Nov 25, 2013

If you documents do not feature very complex formatting, try using Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice with Dicollecte. The advantage is that you can add words to the main dictionary instead of tinkering with your custom dictionary and then, respectively, copy the data to another computer. Moreover, you can contribute to their lexic... See more
If you documents do not feature very complex formatting, try using Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice with Dicollecte. The advantage is that you can add words to the main dictionary instead of tinkering with your custom dictionary and then, respectively, copy the data to another computer. Moreover, you can contribute to their lexical base for common benefit.

[Edited at 2013-11-25 07:00 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Same spell-checking settings is not enough Nov 25, 2013

Or so I think, besides the custom.dic issue.

Make sure that you select the whole text in the document, apply the right language settings and disable the checkbox "Do not check spelling" in the dialog.

When you open a file, if you change language settings without either selecting the whole text or enable "Recheck document" somewhere (Options>Spelling?), the spell-checker isn't actually set to the language desired on the existing text, but only on the text you will write
... See more
Or so I think, besides the custom.dic issue.

Make sure that you select the whole text in the document, apply the right language settings and disable the checkbox "Do not check spelling" in the dialog.

When you open a file, if you change language settings without either selecting the whole text or enable "Recheck document" somewhere (Options>Spelling?), the spell-checker isn't actually set to the language desired on the existing text, but only on the text you will write from the actual cursor position.

At least this is what I came to understand, and I always select the whole text before changing languages in Word (2010 here) to make sure that the spell-checker isn't blind to spelling mistakes in the existing text.

Also the Normal template may be involved at some point. If you don't have the same template, maybe language settings differ there also.

Provided S.G.D.G., I know near to nothing of Word entrails.

Philippe
Collapse

francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
ProLexis Dec 4, 2013

I am trying Prolexis at the moment and it is pretty excellent; nearly misses nothing, I am thinking of buying t after the trial period

francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
?? Dec 4, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

If you documents do not feature very complex formatting, try using Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice with Dicollecte. The advantage is that you can add words to the main dictionary instead of tinkering with your custom dictionary and then, respectively, copy the data to another computer. Moreover, you can contribute to their lexical base for common benefit.

[Edited at 2013-11-25 07:00 GMT]

Yes but this means you have to quit using Office to go into OpenOffice isn't it?

Can you open all OpenOffice files with Studio or Wordfast?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not clear Dec 5, 2013

francoisebou wrote:

Yes but this means you have to quit using Office to go into OpenOffice isn't it?

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your question. What do you mean under “quit using Office”? Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice are both office productivity suites, thus, you don’t have to quit anything.

No idea. I use OmegaT and MemoQ, both work fine with OpenOffice files.

Giuseppina Vecchia
Giuseppina Vecchia  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hint for using Wordfast Dec 5, 2013

Well, Wordfast doesn't recognize OpenOffice, but this is not a problem: you just save the OpenOffice document as a Word file, et voilà, Wordfast is quite happy to accept it

I use Wordfast, and do not have Microsoft Office installed. This is what I do when I want to use an OpenOffice document in Wordfast, or if I have to send a file to someone who wants it as a Microsoft file.

Giuseppina aka Giusy

francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Indded Dec 5, 2013

Giuseppina Vecchia wrote:

Well, Wordfast doesn't recognize OpenOffice, but this is not a problem: you just save the OpenOffice document as a Word file, et voilà, Wordfast is quite happy to accept it

I use Wordfast, and do not have Microsoft Office installed. This is what I do when I want to use an OpenOffice document in Wordfast, or if I have to send a file to someone who wants it as a Microsoft file.

Giuseppina aka Giusy

Good ideas... lots of movements though! Lol

francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
.DIC files? Dec 5, 2013

My idea would be to find a good Dictionary you can update accordingly, under .DIC format or something like this, the kind of file format Word uses, you could import in Word and this would largely simplify all these processes but I did not find any so far

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French spell checker / Vérification d'orthographe français

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »