Thread poster: Lars Rosager (X)
Lars Rosager (X)
Lars Rosager (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:56
Spanish to English
Dec 27, 2013

Hi there,

I am looking for some opinions on how well ProZ.com has worked out for you as a freelance translator. I am contemplating upgrading to a membership account, and would appreciate some firsthand information before I commit financially. Please, thank you!

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
Proz is a starting platform Dec 27, 2013

Hi,

You should consider proz.com as a starting platform however you shouldn't completely depend on it for your success. You will have to plan your strategies, like identifying the good and well-paying clients, initiating a relationship, maintaining a relationship and living up to their expectations w.r.t. the quality. What I have understood till date is no relationship is long-lasting in this industry and it lasts only till your work is good enough to be termed as better than other
... See more
Hi,

You should consider proz.com as a starting platform however you shouldn't completely depend on it for your success. You will have to plan your strategies, like identifying the good and well-paying clients, initiating a relationship, maintaining a relationship and living up to their expectations w.r.t. the quality. What I have understood till date is no relationship is long-lasting in this industry and it lasts only till your work is good enough to be termed as better than other translators in the industry.

Keep your track record always good as it will atttract good agencies and companies to your profile.

Best of Luck!

Regards,
PRAKAASH
Collapse

Michal Berski
Michal Berski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:56
Polish to English
+ ...
Dear Lars, Dec 27, 2013

several years ago I would recommend you to buy proffessional membership, but today it would waste of money.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fully agreeing with Prakaash... Dec 27, 2013

... I must say that my experience has been very positive, not only I have gained new customers, but also I consider that the help offered by colleagues when I have translation questions is one of the strongest assets of this site. Best of luck to you!

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Disagree Dec 27, 2013

Michal Berski wrote:

several years ago I would recommend you to buy proffessional membership, but today it would waste of money.

I think it's the contrary. I have a number of reasons and I might share once I'm back behind the keys in a bit, but what about you? What has changed to the disadvantage of paid membership?

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Use all the features Dec 27, 2013

I use a number of platforms.

Some are bidding platforms, some are portfolio sites and then there's ProZ.
Some charge monthly/yearly fees, some take a percentage of referred jobs.
I have gained a larger number of clients through other platforms, but I think I earned back my membership fee here within a couple of weeks.

What really makes it stand out though, is that it helps to understand how other translators work. It is a community that I have a lot of respe
... See more
I use a number of platforms.

Some are bidding platforms, some are portfolio sites and then there's ProZ.
Some charge monthly/yearly fees, some take a percentage of referred jobs.
I have gained a larger number of clients through other platforms, but I think I earned back my membership fee here within a couple of weeks.

What really makes it stand out though, is that it helps to understand how other translators work. It is a community that I have a lot of respect for and that I enjoy spending time interacting with.

Proz seems to attract a lot of "real" professionals, rather than just a concoction of hobby translators. I do think that someone of the latter category might do better on a platform that is geared that way. As others have said before, don't think that you can just put up a profile and all the work comes flooding in. Here, you really need to get involved in the forums and/or the Kudoz to gain exposure. Otherwise, you'll just get contacted by cheap cheap cheap agencies that pounce on new sign-ups and miss out on the real value. However, this also uncovers those that might not be able to provide a professional service. You have exposure to a different clientele as you would on other portfolio sites, so a lot will depend on you and your work.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Hi Lars Dec 27, 2013

We've discussed this many times before - I suggest entering "Paid membership" in the Forums search engine.

[Edited at 2013-12-27 16:47 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Depends Dec 27, 2013

I think it depends on your language pair(s). It has worked out well for me, but the competition in Spanish>English might mean that your experience would be different.

Lars Rosager (X)
Lars Rosager (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 28, 2013

All good and helpful replies. Thanks a lot.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
KudoZ Dec 28, 2013

Hi Lars

Site staff tell us that the majority of jobs awarded through the site come from clients searching the Directory.

If I look for US based, native English speaking translators with SP > EN as their top or only pair, you appear on page 5, with 120 others ahead of you.

With only 128 KudoZ points, you would be on page 1.

Every single job I have ever done in the past 10 years has come, directly or indirectly, via this site, with no other marke
... See more
Hi Lars

Site staff tell us that the majority of jobs awarded through the site come from clients searching the Directory.

If I look for US based, native English speaking translators with SP > EN as their top or only pair, you appear on page 5, with 120 others ahead of you.

With only 128 KudoZ points, you would be on page 1.

Every single job I have ever done in the past 10 years has come, directly or indirectly, via this site, with no other marketing of any sort.

P.S. I see you have decided to become a member since your original post.
I hope it works out for you.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
See you've already made your decision Dec 29, 2013

Lars Rosager wrote:

Hi there,

I am looking for some opinions on how well ProZ.com has worked out for you as a freelance translator. I am contemplating upgrading to a membership account, and would appreciate some firsthand information before I commit financially. Please, thank you!

Lars Rosager
United States
Local time: 16:43
(9 hrs behind you)
Member (Dec 2013)
Spanish to English

Seems you didn't need much convincing.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on ProZ.com experiences?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »