Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:47
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2023

I have been working occasionally in Smartling. It looks like a good web-based tool, but there is something that baffles me since the beginning: this concept of segments and subsegments. I just do not get it, am I missing something?

So here I am, reviewing a translation, confirming segments like in any other CAT tool… and suddenly comes a multi-segment. And with the same key combination, I am suddenly confirming not one sentence, the one I read, but a bunch of sentences, which I di
... See more
I have been working occasionally in Smartling. It looks like a good web-based tool, but there is something that baffles me since the beginning: this concept of segments and subsegments. I just do not get it, am I missing something?

So here I am, reviewing a translation, confirming segments like in any other CAT tool… and suddenly comes a multi-segment. And with the same key combination, I am suddenly confirming not one sentence, the one I read, but a bunch of sentences, which I did not read. It is very disruptive, I now need to scroll back to read the parts I missed.

My only answer to this issue is to keep looking ahead to see whether I jumped into a single segment or a multiple one. Do I really have to do that?

2023-03-10_14-11-14
[Illustration taken from Sandberg's knowledge base about Smartling]

Thanks in advance for your enlightenment.

Philippe
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:47
English to Russian
Paragraph-based segmentation Mar 10, 2023

This resembles a paragraph-based segmentation in Trados or memoQ.

Philippe Noth wrote:
My only answer to this issue is to keep looking ahead to see whether I jumped into a single segment or a multiple one. Do I really have to do that?
You have to keep an eye on the green marker on the left. When you see it, you are in a paragraph consisting of multiple segments. Review/edit all the paragraph segments covered by that green marker and only then confirm them.

[Edited at 2023-03-10 14:30 GMT]

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
  Mar 10, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:

I believe so. It's one of my biggest bugbears with Smartling – maybe the only one.

I have been using Smartling for years and really like it, but I haven't yet found a way around the problem you describe.

Philippe Noth

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:47
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, at least I know… Mar 10, 2023

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Philippe Noth wrote:

I believe so. It's one of my biggest bugbears with Smartling – maybe the only one.

I have been using Smartling for years and really like it, but I haven't yet found a way around the problem you describe.

Thanks, at least I know that I am not the only one to be bothered by that. I have been reading every information available about Smartling, hoping to find what I did wrong – a command to confirm/step into subsegments, a better workflow. But nope! All help about Smartling described this "feature" as it were perfectly normal and desirable, so I felt stupid not being able to work with it.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:47
English to Russian
Export as xliff Mar 10, 2023

Thomas Pfann wrote:
I haven't yet found a way around the problem you describe.
I downloaded the content (Job - Export Content) as xliff files along with TM and glossaries, translated them with Trados or memoQ, and then imported back into Smartling (Import Content).

[Edited at 2023-03-10 20:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Smartling confusion

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »