Dimitrije Janic
Serbia
Local time: 16:12
Slovenian to Serbian
+ ...
Mar 21, 2022

Hello guys,
Are these rates normal in your opinion?
Those rates were clients suggestion. Almost 50% of my usual rates.

Manual (classic) translation: 0,060 €/word
MT post-editing: 0,040 €/word
Revision: 0,025 €/word
MT light review: 0,025 €/word
Proofreading: 0,010€/word

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
They are real Mar 21, 2022

Dimitrije Janic wrote:

I have clients who offer me similar rates, and I sometimes accept those jobs, if there is some other way for me to increase the final amount (e.g. by working faster and smarter on a particular job or file type). I do not accept MT at that rate, though -- I just tell the client my MT rate is the same as my translation rate, and that's that. I also don't offer MT review at any rate other than my usual revision rate, and I reserve the right to cancel a job if it turns out that the translation is particularly bad.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Laurent Di Raimondo
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
Marijke Singer
Laura Kingdon
Robson Izoton

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Rates Mar 21, 2022

Dimitrije Janic wrote:

Hello guys,
Are these rates normal in your opinion?
Those rates were clients suggestion. Almost 50% of my usual rates.

I only ever do translation. The rate is much too low unless the documents are full of repetitions that can be handled by a CAT tool.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Robert Forstag
Florence Bremond

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:12
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Yes, these rates a real Mar 21, 2022

Yes, these rates a real. These rates are below average, of course, but it's up to you to accept them or not. It depends on many factors. My favourite client from the US pays exactly these rates. I accept the jobs and do them with most quality because I'm a loyal translator and they were the ones who helped me start my career and supported me.

[Edited at 2022-03-21 16:27 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
They are Mar 21, 2022

At least when it comes to what potential clients might be willing to pay for your services. These peanut rates ensure that the customers will make a hefty profit because they will charge their clients at least 10 - 15 times that much.

Any such requests/offers call for a reply such as, thank you, but unfortunately I see no possible way that I might be able to afford working for such rates. Especially when it comes to time coding and translating subtitles for a generous USD 1.50 per a
... See more
At least when it comes to what potential clients might be willing to pay for your services. These peanut rates ensure that the customers will make a hefty profit because they will charge their clients at least 10 - 15 times that much.

Any such requests/offers call for a reply such as, thank you, but unfortunately I see no possible way that I might be able to afford working for such rates. Especially when it comes to time coding and translating subtitles for a generous USD 1.50 per audio minute with a 2 - 3 hours turnaround time for 30 - 45 audio minutes.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:12
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not only the rate which is important Mar 21, 2022

At the end of the day it's important how much you would earn weekly/monthly/yearly (underline your choice). I would always prefer to do something with a lower rate than do nothing with a higher one. How much volume would one get at 'premium rates', and how regular would such 'high-rate' jobs be? Every little makes a mickle, or so they say. The rate is real as long as you take it and provide the service. If you have better offers, just decline.

expressisverbis
Benjamin DUBOS
Mr. Satan (X)
Joanna Posylek

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Google Translate says Mar 21, 2022

Google Translate says that Korana Lasić wrote:
They pay each word or expect more discounts?

It has a calculation that says it's 0.06 in fact 0.08, if you pay every word, and you can still use Trados, and that if we take into account reasonably programmed memory. It can even go out in more than 0.08, if agencies are taken into account, which programs discounts in the robbery. The rest of the church is so I guess they expect you to work for 0.06 on Memsource that will give you half new words to 50% of the price and you still give them fat discounts on every possible bumpers that TM out! So, if you can, tell them no!

EDIT: I don't know how well you know the Cat world, but memsource can be programmed to steal a translator 50% of new words and displays them as "phases" that then pays from 50 to 70% of the new word price! This goes with normal discounts. So you have to be careful when Memsource is a query and otherwise when it comes to discounts.

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
Oh wow Mar 21, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

It has a calculation that says it's 0.06 in fact 0.08, if you pay every word, and you can still use Trados, and that if we take into account reasonably programmed memory. It can even go out in more than 0.08, if agencies are taken into account, which programs discounts in the robbery. The rest of the church is so I guess they expect you to work for 0.06 on Memsource that will give you half new words to 50% of the price and you still give them fat discounts on every possible bumpers that TM out! So, if you can, tell them no!

EDIT: I don't know how well you know the Cat world, but memsource can be programmed to steal a translator 50% of new words and displays them as "phases" that then pays from 50 to 70% of the new word price! This goes with normal discounts. So you have to be careful when Memsource is a query and otherwise when it comes to discounts.

So, when not sure GT guesses based on a similar-sounding word. "Phases" should say fuzzies (spelled phonetically in the source language) and "churches" is a translation of a word that sounds a lot like a diminutive of a church but is definitely a word for a pittance. Not sure how "bumpers" got in there as a translation for "mess", or "poor quality mix" but I thought GT was better at this, at least in my language pair(s)

expressisverbis

Dimitrije Janic
Dimitrije Janic
Serbia
Slovenian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Turned them down Mar 21, 2022

Thank you all for the advices.
I have turned down this client since it would consume my time and I would earn only a fragment than usual, also I couldn't take any new clients because of this one.

@Korana Lasić hvala puno na savetu!

Mr. Satan (X)
Korana Lasić

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:12
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Korana, Mar 21, 2022

Korana Lasić wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

So, when not sure GT guesses based on a similar-sounding word. "Phases" should say fuzzies (spelled phonetically in the source language) and "churches" is a translation of a word that sounds a lot like a diminutive of a church but is definitely a word for a pittance. Not sure how "bumpers" got in there as a translation for "mess", or "poor quality mix" but I thought GT was better at this, at least in my language pair(s)

When we are following a thread written in English and everybody understand it it's quite easier, don't you think? Anyway, thank you for explaining to us those mistakes made by GT.
Remember me to write you in Portuguese one day.

"7 A forum's designated language should be used.
A working language is defined for each forum, and this language should be used to the extent possible when posting. Where not otherwise specified, English is the working language."

And I have violated rule number 4 right now: "Replies should not stray from the posted topic". My apologies to the OP and to everyone.

[Edited at 2022-03-21 22:33 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Barbara Carrara
Angie Garbarino

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
Rates Real? Mar 21, 2022

These rates are slave labor and target the very desperate and the extremely vulnerable. The agency most likely requires a CAT tool as well. If you accept these rates, good luck getting paid.

Mr. Satan (X)
Daryo

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
Real rates Mar 21, 2022

Unfortunately these rates are real. You should accept at your own risk.

[Edited at 2022-03-22 01:05 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Daryo

Anne-Sophie Fradier
Anne-Sophie Fradier
France
English to French
Depends on an ocelot of factors :) Mar 22, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

These rates are slave labor and target the very desperate and the extremely vulnerable. The agency most likely requires a CAT tool as well. If you accept these rates, good luck getting paid.

I'm neither desperate nor vulnerable, and I get paid promptly and regularly by lovely, profesionnal people with these rates exactly.
The thing is, how much can you translate comfortably in one hour? Does your field require a lot of research? What volume do they assign to you each month? It's a matter of balance, and my balance suits me well. I bought an appartment in Paris with these rates so I'm quite satisfied

Evgeny Sidorenko
Robin LEPLUMEY

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:12
English to Turkish
Yes Mar 22, 2022

Anne-Sophie Fradier wrote:
Depends on an ocelot of factors.

But it more so depends on the language pair, the location of the translation agency and, perhaps more importantly, the country of origin of the agency owner.
So 0.06 EUR per word is almost half of what a Serbian translator ordinarily charges his clients and it's also what bought a French translator an "apartment" in Paris... That has to put things into perspective I suppose.

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are these rates real?!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »