Signing a translated website
Thread poster: Amormac
Amormac
Amormac
Spain
Apr 1, 2016

I am translating a website into German and English for my dissertation and I would like to sign both of them as translator. I mean I would like that my name would be there because actually I created the source website and I have translated it.

Where do a translator sign a website? Or where would you sign it?

Thank you in advance.

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:55
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
In the "legal infrmation" page Apr 1, 2016

Hi,

I would place this information in the "legal information" page. In France, this page is mandatory and should specify who is responsible for the website content, where it is hosted and several other details. Otherwise, as a web-designer and translator, I always ask my clients if they agrea to place my logo with a link to my website in the page bottom. Some clients are completely opposed to it and some accept it, it is always worth a try.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I personally wouldn't want to do it Apr 2, 2016

Websites are dynamic areas that change throughout their lifetime. Ths more dynamic ones change every day. Is the client going to come back to you for every change? Or are small, seemngly insignificant changes going to be made by someone using a dictionary or Google Translate? In fact, are they going to come to you for the next major update or addition? I guess you did this for free but you intend to become a pro i.e. charging for your time?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I agree with Sheila Apr 2, 2016

With print media such as books as magazines, it's always worth trying (though it can be an uphill battle). I've never bothered with websites.

Also, you're translating it into German and English, and your English isn't quite perfect. Are you confident of the quality of your work?

[Edited at 2016-04-02 16:27 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:25
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In your specific case Apr 3, 2016

Since you have written the German website and have yourself translated it into English, you are the author of the German website and the translator of the English website.

I would mention this in websites in this way:

In the German, I would write:

Text: Amormac

In the English, I would write:

Original text in German: Amormac

English translation: Amormac

Or to shorten it:

Original text in German
... See more
Since you have written the German website and have yourself translated it into English, you are the author of the German website and the translator of the English website.

I would mention this in websites in this way:

In the German, I would write:

Text: Amormac

In the English, I would write:

Original text in German: Amormac

English translation: Amormac

Or to shorten it:

Original text in German and its English translation: Amormac

This is what I used to do when I was a Writer for English and Hindi with an organization. I would be called upon to write original texts in English which I would also later tranlsate into Hindi. I used to follow the above practice in the Acknwledgment/credits page.
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Translating into Apr 3, 2016

Amormac wrote:

I am translating a website into German and English ...

@ Balasubramaniam,
the OP said translating into English and German, not that he had written it in German.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ben Apr 3, 2016

Ben Senior wrote:
Amormac wrote:
I am translating a website into German and English ...

@ Balasubramaniam,
the OP said translating into English and German, not that he had written it in German.

Read again:

Amormac wrote:
I mean I would like that my name would be there because actually I created the source website and I have translated it.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Maybe an even likelier scenario? Apr 3, 2016

Nothing is sure unless the OP gives more information, but it is likely that this is someone who is a Spanish native speaker, studying translation in Spain. In that case, he or she would most likely have written the text in Spanish and then translated it into two foreign languages, English and German. I believe it's perfectly normal to be expected to translate out of your native language at university? A valid educational experience, I would imagine, even if it isn't what most professional freela... See more
Nothing is sure unless the OP gives more information, but it is likely that this is someone who is a Spanish native speaker, studying translation in Spain. In that case, he or she would most likely have written the text in Spanish and then translated it into two foreign languages, English and German. I believe it's perfectly normal to be expected to translate out of your native language at university? A valid educational experience, I would imagine, even if it isn't what most professional freelancers do as it produces less-than-perfect results in 99.9% of cases.
philgoddard wote:
your English isn't quite perfect. Are you confident of the quality of your work?
Collapse

Amormac
Amormac
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Clarifications about my question Apr 19, 2016

I am sorry. Maybe I haven't explained everything properly.

I am Spanish and I am finishing Translation and Interpreting in German and English.

I have created the Spanish website and I have translated it into English and German. I am the author and in the future I will be the only one who will make any change.

I know that normally the websites aren't signed by the translator but in my case, I would like to try it since it is for my dissertation and as I sa
... See more
I am sorry. Maybe I haven't explained everything properly.

I am Spanish and I am finishing Translation and Interpreting in German and English.

I have created the Spanish website and I have translated it into English and German. I am the author and in the future I will be the only one who will make any change.

I know that normally the websites aren't signed by the translator but in my case, I would like to try it since it is for my dissertation and as I said I will be the only person who can modify the websites. Unfortunately, it hasn't any "legal information" page.

One solution would be:

Created and translated by (My name)

It would be written at the end of the page on the right corner.

What do you think?

PS: I know that my English isn't perfect but the websites are corrected by native speakers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Signing a translated website

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »